TCCoA Forums banner

I know its a truck, but?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  RalphP 
#1 ·
So, 96 f150 5.0 4r70w 4x4 about 80k miles, transmission shifts through all gears ok, but seems to be a true slush box. Very soft lazy shifting. Also slight stumble or surge in 3rd and OD under light throttle and low rpm(1500-2000), jumps about 2-300 rpm every couple seconds. Feels under powered and slow. I am ready to do the flush and filter but curious as to what else I should do while I have the pan off. I know there is a J-Mod for these transmissions but not sure this would benefit me. Not looking for hard shifting, just something more in line to other trucks I have driven. Heard that the truck valve bodies are different from the car ones, so not sure if the J-Mod will have the same effect or not. Can I benefit from a newer valve body from another 5.0 motor vehicle, ie the Explorer?

#2 ·
Drop the valve body and Jmod the transmission.

Yes. The J-mod will benefit you. Go with the mild setting. I'm not sure if the trucks have a different VB than the cars. Regardless, I recommend upgrading the VB to a 2004 version.

Other experts here can fill in the details.

#8 ·
If you're having problems with the 4r70w, it needs to be rebuilt.

I know the 2002 version is a better transmission than the older ones, but IDK about what fits the 5.0l version; it has a different bellhousing than the ones I have.

It's also 4wd, so that's a tailshaft difference as well.

Doing the jmod will fix the slushiness, but probably not on a 96 tranny; the seals are rock hard and badly worn at this point, which makes the shift into 3rd slow.

Do any post 2001 trucks have a 5.0 engine?
Will a 2002 4r70w out of a 4.2l 4x4 match up?

I found this:
"You can find 4R70W's with the 5.0 windsor bolt pattern on 1996-2001 Explorer V8's and 1994+ F-150 V8's and on some other 3.8 V6 models."

Looks like the ones for a 2001 4wd explorer are ~$200, and they will need rebuilt, at this point.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/4r70w-transmission-rebuild-diary.128800/

#11 ·
If it's an AODE, then TM's comment on an eec swap would be correct, as they're different.

I'm going to recommend you hit one of the Truck sites, OP; you're truck is too different for what most of us know.

RalphP has a thread about an older 5.0 update to a 4r70w that he's doing, you might get some info there.

Sorry I can't help more.

I can say that a rebuild is in order; the rubber and teflon seals are 23 years old at this point, and hard as a rock, and worn down to nubs.

Reactions: RalphP
#12 ·
If it's an AODE, then TM's comment on an eec swap would be correct, as they're different.

RalphP has a thread about an older 5.0 update to a 4r70w that he's doing, you might get some info there.
No, they’re not. Ralph has an AOD, the AODE is electronic and in almost all respects a 4R70w minus the bellhousing pattern and carried over AOD planetary gearset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.