Did you damage your 4R70W with J-Mod - TCCoA Forums
View Poll Results: Did you damage your 4R70W by performing J-Mod?
Yes 6 7.41%
No 72 88.89%
Yes, but I fixed it easily/cheaply/quickly 3 3.70%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to willum
Did you damage your 4R70W with J-Mod

How many people have performed the J-Mod to the transmission and had a problem that was a result of the mod, or your own handi-work while performing it.

I'm looking into performing this and it scares the bejebus out of me. I'm sure that I can do it but I gotta get up the nerve to do so, not to mention the inch-lb torque wrench and parts.

Thanks,
Willum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 02:21 AM

I didn't damage it, but it sure as hell didn't shift into drive after we bolted it back up. The gear selector didn't shift into drive, (luckily I could get out of the driveway in reverse, then back into it again in reverse.) The rod that slides in the VB was sticking and we had to tweak it back so it could slide freely.

What I did was make a folder on my laptop with every bit of info I could gather. I studied it for about a week. Just have the printouts or files handy, just in case. It's really simple once you get in their, I could do it all over again with no documents.

Get the Jmod article off tccoa, check mn12performance.com for all their trans info, and use the search here, you'll have all the info you ever need.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 08:00 AM

I didn't have any problems at all, just go slow and read the article about 10 times before you start, and then another 10 while you are doing it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

I'm not technically-oriented when it comes to cars, so I spent about a year deliberating whether or not to do it. When my car-repair-savvy brother visited in August, I asked him if he thought he could do it. He leafed through the article, and after 10 minutes, he said "Let's get to it!"

It helps to have a helper who knows what to look for. I was amazed at how smoothly everything went, and equally surprised that it took less than 4 hours. No problems encountered.....an a big thanks to my brother!

Just like Rich95XR7 states: read the article several times, and keep it handy while you do the work.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:47 AM

No problems at all, but I REALLY took my time, since I was doing it by myself and this was my first time in an automatic transmission. I even did the reverse and OD servos, which seem to cause the most problems for people. Read the directions as many times as it takes, start early in the day (in case you need to make a parts run), and don't get in a hurry.

Marcus
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 08:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I've done 4 of these things already, my last one took 2 hours I think ... LOL. If you're a first-timer, I'd say skip the OD and reverse servos - they're optional anyway. Take your time, read the directions and Don't rush! Rushing is how you make mistakes. Trust me. I've messed up putting the OD servo back in just like so many others have. Not that it's a big deal, but you don't want to have to drop the pan again.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 10:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to KrAzyT
ummm fubar can we say radiator?

1996 Thunderbird 4.6 -Sold-
259.4 hp and 285.3 tq on mustang dyno
Bunch of motorcycles
2004 F150
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 10:56 PM
4th Gear Poster

I feel like I'm going to confession here...

My failure is not related to the mod itself, just my own stupidity.

I decided to do mine at 107,000 miles. I had already done it on my 94 Mustang AOD-E 2 years ago, and was pleased with the results, so I was ready to kill the bird finally. I screwed mine up because I was stupid. I didn't put enough Mercon V in when I finished it, tried to test drive it, and fried the forward clutches due to lack of line pressure.

My mistake happened because I had recently done the converter and pan drain/refill, and I wasn't going to drain the converter again. Since I dropped the pan and valve body ONLY, I ASSUMED that I only needed about 5-6 quarts to refill it (didn't want to overfill). I also assumed it would need to cycle around a bit to fill all the passages in the valve body, and that was why the car wouldn't go into gear immediately. Suffice to say, I was wrong... Apparently, the valve body contains a check valve that keeps the converter from draining, and when I pulled the VB, I lost at least half of my converter fluid. I put about 2 miles on it, with it about 4 quarts low. I filled it to the top of the rang, put around 70 miles on it over the next 2 days, and then it lost forward gears when my wife was driving it (of course). She limped it home for 15 miles, not sure how.

Now I have a Dennis Reinhart tranny in mine. I'm very happy, to say the least...

But with labor for the install ($585), new radiator ($160) and B&M cooler ($60), and $1600 to Dennis, it was a costly mistake. So much for my tax return and the tiny profit I made from selling my house...

Again, my failure is not related to the mod itself, just my own stupidity.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by terraplane8
I feel like I'm going to confession here...

My failure is not related to the mod itself, just my own stupidity.

I decided to do mine at 107,000 miles. I had already done it on my 94 Mustang AOD-E 2 years ago, and was pleased with the results, so I was ready to kill the bird finally. I screwed mine up because I was stupid. I didn't put enough Mercon V in when I finished it, tried to test drive it, and fried the forward clutches due to lack of line pressure.

My mistake happened because I had recently done the converter and pan drain/refill, and I wasn't going to drain the converter again. Since I dropped the pan and valve body ONLY, I ASSUMED that I only needed about 5-6 quarts to refill it (didn't want to overfill). I also assumed it would need to cycle around a bit to fill all the passages in the valve body, and that was why the car wouldn't go into gear immediately. Suffice to say, I was wrong... Apparently, the valve body contains a check valve that keeps the converter from draining, and when I pulled the VB, I lost at least half of my converter fluid. I put about 2 miles on it, with it about 4 quarts low. I filled it to the top of the rang, put around 70 miles on it over the next 2 days, and then it lost forward gears when my wife was driving it (of course). She limped it home for 15 miles, not sure how.

Again, my failure is not related to the mod itself, just my own stupidity.
Who would do something like that?

97' 4.6 LX - [email protected] 1880ft Air Density Altitude, 86*
95' 4.6 40th Anniversary Edition
01' 4.6 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 03:30 PM
Formerly Fdawg97LX

Send a message via AIM to Fdawg03SVT
my friend joe helped me do it. he did his own car before we did mine so he had some experience. it took us about 3 hours to do the jmod and install a cooler. we had all the neccessary tools and parts so we didnt have to make any runs to the store. everything went as smooth as possible.

Frank

2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Previous Rides:
2003 Suzuki GSX-R750
2003 Mustang Cobra 10th Anniversary - 11.2 @ 130
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 - 13.7 @ 103
1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 - Slow
1990 Thunderbird 3.8 - Slower
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 11:52 PM

I figure I should say I wasn't making fun of you Terraplane8.
I did the exact same thing (costed about $300 less) to my 97' in the middle of last winter which is why I put the 'big grin'.

3 hours seems like it went very well. It def. took me a lot longer.

2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 10:11 PM
4th Gear Poster

Yes, AaronT, I remember you and I going in circles trying to figure ours out last Spring... Same symptoms for you, I believe(?).

Anyway, I finally got my DennisR tranny installed a month ago (I had a busy Summer with a lot of travel for work). I'm pretty happy with it, although I think I need a new tranny mount now. Shifts are way better than before, but it kinda clunks a bit going into second, and has some underbody vibrations when slowing down from hiway speeds; feels like a driveline/bushing-thing, maybe the 3rd member bushings or tranny mount are getting loose on me. Gonna check it over tomorrow when I change the oil.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 11:14 PM

Did mine this past winter, while the tranny was in the car of course, and somehow got disorientated right before I pulled the 1-2 accumulator out. Ended up pulling out the OD servo bore, letting the band slip off, not realizing it. Took it out for a drive when I was done and no OD. Figured out that was my problem a day later and then the next day dropped everything out and put it back in. Worked fine ever since. And yeah, I read through the article about 10 times as well. I've helped do 2 others after mine and it never takes very long now. Oh, and that was my first time inside an automobile transmission.

Joe
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 12:11 PM
PostWhore

I just did mine too ... as others have mentioned ... i didnt drain the torque convertor also bc its a new one with about 1500 miles on it. BUT i made sure the fluid level was up and kept checking til i had enough in it.

All in all ... the two yrs i spent procrastinating is almost shameful... its alot simpler than you think.

"You Should See the Front!"

1995 Lazer Red Cougar
[email protected]
Custom Tru Duals, PI 4.6, JModded Tranny w/ TC.
Programmed by SCT Xcal2
Thanks to PalmGuy I have this beautiful masterpiece.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 10:50 PM

Don't feel bad willum...

I still am contimplating

I want to get my "I KNOW" I can do mods first.. Then to this "dreaded" (scary) mod. I will probably drill the holes for 300+ HP, seeing as I want MAX performance
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

If I were you I would buy the PA VB shifts just as good as Jmod VB and is a better VB than stock and is less of a hassle to install than 99+. No Drilling, so know wondering if you did it right ore not, its also a manuel VB. My opinion is you cant beat it for the price and quality.

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6spd
Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
American Racing Long Tube Headers
Catted X pipe
MBRP Mufflers
Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft
Custom Street Tuned
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 07:04 AM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

I did my JMod last summer with help from Al Simanek. We went REAL slow and skipped the OD and Reverse servos since I've got a 97.

I'm now ready, except for lack of a torque wrench, to change fluid and filter. Yes, I've put 17,000 miles on the bird already!

My mod came out so well, I let other Bird/Cougar owners drive the car to experience the difference. Thomas was one of my victims, and now Thomas has instituted a JMod tour here in Iowa. 'Nuff said?

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 09:13 AM

I'm still contemplating my J-Mod excursion... By reading these articles here, though, it doesn't really seem like it's as bad as I thought it might be. I've never done *any* transmission work, but if I do perform this in the future, I'll have to take a trip to my dad's to have him help me out. He has a massive garage of tools and a decent amount of experience with cars... Not too sure about transmissions, though. Anyone in the northeast Ohio area wanna' come out and help a guy?
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 04:15 PM

It's pretty darn easy to do. Just a little messy. You just have to take your time and be careful, really not much to it. A lot of pics floating around here, as well as threads in case you run into trouble.

2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron_T
It's pretty darn easy to do. Just a little messy. You just have to take your time and be careful, really not much to it. A lot of pics floating around here, as well as threads in case you run into trouble.
Yeah, I'm just going to keep on reading posts and looking at pictures until I finally grow bigger balls and just do it someday. Actually, I think I might do it later in the summer. I'm doing all kinds of stuff to my 'Bird to try to give it the best performance without going too crazy with bolt-ons, etc...
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 08:09 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Mike,

Why don't you see if the Ohio Chapter of the TCCoA has something link the Iowa Chapter's JMod tour? Nothing else, If you'd like a vacation in Iowa, see what dates Thomas has where.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PCD
Mike,

Why don't you see if the Ohio Chapter of the TCCoA has something link the Iowa Chapter's JMod tour? Nothing else, If you'd like a vacation in Iowa, see what dates Thomas has where.
Hahaha! Who takes a vacation to Iowa?? Just playin' - That would be pretty cool if the Ohio Chapter doesn't offer anything like that.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:54 PM
The Band, not the Disease!

Send a message via AIM to AnthraxBird
OK, well on my 97 4.6.. it had about 60k on it. The install went pretty smooth. I did accidently remove the OD servo, which released the band, causing me too loose 4th gear. I also was torqing the bolts of the valve body, and one of the corner bolts snapped off inside. I just left it. Worked fine. I did go back in and put in a quick drain in the tranny pan. But the Jmod works awesome. Second time I did it was on a friends 94 COugar 4.6... Didn't touch the OD or reverse servo.. just removed the 1-2 and 2-3 springs. All 3 of em. When I was removing the snap ring, I couldnt get the servo out.. i couldnt use a magnet, it was aluminum I think... so I pressed it in and it just went all the way up... I was like What the hell? So I eventually got it out to find out the spring was totally obliterated. Removed all the broken pieces, put the tranny back together, his tranny works perfect to this day. =) I did the later jmod in about 4 hours. All I bought was the 2 plate gaskets, and new tranny oil filter, and new mercron 5. Works perfect.

1997 Mark VIII LSC - Toreador Red
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 07:31 AM
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

Quote:
Originally posted by KrAzyT
ummm fubar can we say radiator?
oh dear god yes. I still have flashbacks hearing that tinkle of the radiator then of a blowtorch while I'm laying in oil .....

I'll do jmods till the cows come home. Get the parts and give me a place to stay

96 Mark VIII [email protected] :: 03 radiator/fan - j-modded trans - BBK UD pulley kit - dual gauge pod - 28,000 B&M transcooler (w/ AN fits) - 3.73 locker (with speedo gear) - 180' thermo - 8.5mm wires - colder plugs
soon to install : "fixed" heads and a damn tune. Project snaked8 continues...
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:31 AM
1st Gear Poster

Old thread I know, but add me to the list of those who killed my tranny with a jmod.........at least I think I killed it, not sure.

I still don't comprehend what happened. It took me almost 6 hours because no matter how simple it was, I double checked, and tripple checked all my work.

I made sure the main control was immaculately clean without removing the valves and springs of course...double checked all the hole locations and sizes, tripple checked I had them labeled correctly, and checked again before drilling them. Made sure all bolts were torqued correctly. I also made sure to verify the checkballs, the black screen, even the "cone" shaped filter was in place.

Put it back together, and it drove fine for 2 days (maybe 20 miles total). Then all of a sudden a shift into 3rd felt like something dragging, or 2 gears enguaged at once fighting each other, and then I smelled that unique smell of clutches, and now I have no 3rd or 4th. I just do not know what went wrong...

-Alan
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I did mine the middle of last week and all seems normal (driven about 100 miles so far). However - when I added fluid I think I may have added a bit too much. I just checked the fluid level and it's up to the "H" on "HOT" and the car's been sitting overnight in 70 degree weather. Should I be concerned?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Holy thread resurection. It's been 5 years.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:33 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
I did mine the middle of last week and all seems normal (driven about 100 miles so far). However - when I added fluid I think I may have added a bit too much. I just checked the fluid level and it's up to the "H" on "HOT" and the car's been sitting overnight in 70 degree weather. Should I be concerned?
If all is good it will not leak down, so it may have problems or overflow when hot.

I'm not sure if it will cause a problem, but I had the same issue and used a long tube and a basting syringe to remove the excess. (from the fill tube)

I'd lower the level; think motor with too much oil; it's hard on the pistons...

(Two quarts of oil over the suggested level in a 2300 engine can pop the top off a piston, fwiw.) That blowd up real nice...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
If I could quantize the amount it's over, I'd say between a quarter and half a quart. If I drained the torque converter a bit (no syringes etc.), wouldn't that end up draining the fluid level?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 01:59 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
If I could quantize the amount it's over, I'd say between a quarter and half a quart. If I drained the torque converter a bit (no syringes etc.), wouldn't that end up draining the fluid level?
Yes, and the dip stick of the trans is not simple to read, level or amounts. A small amount of fluid in a normal level trans can rasie the level on the stick a lot. When it's full there is basically not much air space left in the pan, so it takes very little to get it coming up the dipstick. Drain a little out with what ever method is easier for you to do.

_________
Don

91 Mark VII LSC SE, Griggs and MM suspension soon
98 Mountaineer, A4WD, Big brakes - 12.75" x 1.25" rotors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in