recentyly got a tbird, tranny questions 4R70W - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

recently got a tbird, tranny questions 4R70W

It's a 94 Tbird LX, with the 4.6L in it. Needs some TLC, but it's getting it. The car has 150k miles on it and I don't know if the tranny has ever had any service work done to it before (had a new shift solenoid and fluid changed recently), so here's it's behavior.

1-2 Shifts like a brick lots of the time.. not always, depends on throttle and running time. 2-3 shift is hideously smooth.. or it will smooth out of second on it's way to third.. and then you'll feel it grab third. Doesn't matter if it's a "in Drive" shift or manual. 3-4 is pretty much fine.. in-Drive and manual-switch perform a fine 3-4 shift. Other thing is when it first goes into gear.. Sometimes it'll take it a second to engage going from a neutral into drive or reverse.... it's most noteable when going from reverse to drive.

I've been reading the site a bit.. so, I dunno if the tranny's ever been serviced... but with some of the symptoms, got to wondering if it's getting time for a rebuild or tranny swap. Looking forward to see what you all have to say.

Last edited by Sophosis; 03-11-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

From what I have heard/read, the 94's have a horrible tranny. Sounds like you could benefit from the J-Mod. Perform a "Search" on J-Mod, and you will turn up quite a bit of info on this. Also, do you know if you have Mercon V, or Mercon III in the trans? Something else that should be done. Just my .02. I'm just learning about this myself, but I'm about to attemp the J-Mod on my 95 and feel that after a good search and a thourough read-through of the instructions, it should be a piece of cake.

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The 1-2 shift problem usually is caused by the 1-2 accumulator and springs.

They were re-designed later on.

The delay in the reverse to drive engagement is normal.

Best thing you can do, before rebuilding, is to replace the 1-2 accum and springs, switch over to MerconV, and then see what the results are.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

No don't rebuild a 94-95 trans. just get a 98+ unit. Stronger internals, a better VB, and some other upgrades make it a good choice. Just my .02 cents.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
First of all Sophosis, welcome to TCCOA! I'm sure the folks here will be able to answer any and all questions concerning your bird, I know they have mine.

It sounds from your post that you aren't a certified mechanic so you probably won't be doing a transmission rebuild yourself. Please correct me if I am wrong. If that is the case, I'd have to agree with Hotbird based on nothing else than expense. A rebuild can cost nearly as much as a used transmission. I'd go with a newer year transmission, do a J-mod before you put it in, and be sure to use Mercon V fluid. I'd also put in a cooler while its in the air anyway.

If a rebuild or replacement is cost prohibitive (and if so, you have my understanding) I'd do as Rolling-Thunder suggests and fix the less expensive, most likely problems first. either way, keep us informed on your progress.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Well, I think I may try the 1-2 accumulator and merconV switch and see how it likes that. I had given the newer tranny swap some though, but I've got more questions to answer before I play with that idea some more. I'll look more into the acclaimed J-Mod as well..

Traveler - certified mechanic, not quite.. heh.. my dad is though.. I've got a '70 351C sitting in a '79 F100 that I give some loving to time to time.. that one we rebuilt before we set it down in the truck, nothing too special though. We've been through two auto-trans rebuilds and recently a manual trans rebuild recently (manual rebuild was so unreally easier..) so I'm not one to turn down a challenge, ie my tranny rebuild. Just from everything I've seen, I do have to question whether it would be the better idea to swap to a newer tranny if it did actually come down to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in