4R70W from 5.4L truck into Mark VIII - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

4R70W from 5.4L truck into Mark VIII

Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting a 4R70W from a 99 or later 5.4 F150, like Jerry says to do in his writeup. This would be for my 1993 Mark VIII I just wanted to clear up a few questions about the things that have to be done to accomplish this.

First, I think I will get a new 99 valve body for a car also. I know I will have to repin the connector from my car to the trans. I am not sure if any of the solenoids need to be switched over though. I have read some places, that the TCC solenoid from my year would need to be switched in. But all the other stuff is ok.

I was talking to a guy who did this swap and he didn't seem to remember needing to swap any electronics, just repinned the plug but he wasn't sure. Does anybody here know what would need to be done. The Jerry article seems to say that the TCC would need to be switched, I am just looking for a confirmation from someone with experience.

Also, I know I will need to switch over my year's MLPS and lever. Any thing I am missing?

And finally, the Torque Converter. I am thinking of an Edge 3200 stall. Maybe one from a Marauder, depending on how much everything costs. Any feelings on that? I know a lot of T-Bird guys on here like the Mark VIII converters, but everyone on the Mark VIII board who has done a converter seems to go with aftermarket customs, usually with at least 2800 stall.

Thanks for your time.

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 04:27 PM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

You'll need to swap in your TCC solenoid,or the lower impedance solenoid from the newer trans will toast the lockup circuit in the EEC.
You'll also need to swap over your manual lever,and MLPS.
As for a Torque convertor...the reason the 2V Tbird guys like the mark convertor is that we typically get 2500rpms of stall speed out of them,where you guys with a 4V mark are a few humdred rpms lower from the lack of bottom end torque as compared to a 2V.
Lower input torque=lower stall speed,plain and simple.
PI make a good convertor,as does Pro-torque.There are a few other companies that make convertors for a 4R70W-you'll just have to shop around. Most Marks respond really well to about a 3200 stall speed convertor-the 4V likes to rev fairly high before it makes good power.
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Like Titles Matter

What JL said, and you'll need a speedcal if you are going to run more than a 3.27 gear unless you want to do a full teardown on the 5.4 tans and put an 8 tooth output shaft in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kdanner
What JL said, and you'll need a speedcal if you are going to run more than a 3.27 gear unless you want to do a full teardown on the 5.4 tans and put an 8 tooth output shaft in it.
Yep..forgot about the output shaft..
JL

Fuelly
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. On those speedcals that I have seen, they all say they only work on a manual trans. What is the one to use for our cars? I do plan on getting 4.10s at some point. Also, I read that Johnny Langton sells a preassembled forced-lube mod housing. Is that correct?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Like Titles Matter

The speedcal does work for what you are doing. Since 4.10 is planned, better to just do the speedcal now instead of the output shaft, you'll need it with the gears anyway.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cragus
Also, I read that Johnny Langton sells a preassembled forced-lube mod housing. Is that correct?
Yes I do..
JL

Fuelly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in