4R70W PA Super Streeter 1-2 concern - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

4R70W PA Super Streeter 1-2 concern

I have a brand new PA Super Streeter installed recently and there is something weird going on 1-2 shifts, some kind of vibration from the rear end, feels exactly like wheel hop (less prominent of course) when you race a quarter and traction is not consistent and there is some grabbing and spinning on launch.
Fluid level is fine, it's Mercon V, and it does this with different torque converters.
Sort of like momentarily tire scrubbing loss of traction, assuming that it comes from tires, but after reading about that infamous TC shudder I'm not 100% positive that it's not a tranny problem. May be it shifts just a bit different than stock with J-mod and locking tires on 1-2 shifts?

This is what's included in the Super Streeter package
HEAVY DUTY CLUTCHES,
HEAVY DUTY SERVO,
STREET/STRIP VALVE BODY
KEVLAR BAND
DRUM
DIODE

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Andrew WOT; 09-29-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

in 1st gear the TC is always unlocked, so that's not it. I don't see anything in the EEC program that would cause that either. Some times these 'high performance' transmissions still use the aluminum accumulators with o-rings (these were such junk that Ford hasn't made any of them after 98). Should one of these be leaking it would delay or otherwise make the 1-2 shift weird.
It's also possible the trans is not the problem at all. Trans mounts, rear end issues, etc should also be checked too.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Maybe it's your traction control? If you have this option. If so, turn it off (the button should be on the front console near the shifter lever) May be labeled as "traction assist" as well, can't remember. Mine had an issue similar to yours, and when the trac. control was off, it went away.

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your replies.
It's 98, so no traction control. And it started to happen only after the new tranny was installed.
What kind of rear end issues could that be, what should I look for?

Thanks again.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

See if there's excessive play in the diff (the clearances are tight, there shouldnt be a lot of free play), loose driveshaft bolts, worn shocks... anything in the suspension that is moving when it shouldn't. Maybe a second person could watch/listen when you launch. They may see something you can't from inside.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Looks like the phenomena I'm experiencing is just a wheel hop. Why does it do this with the new tranny I have no idea. May be it just shifts harder, the car definitely squats on 1-2 shift even under moderate throttle and I have pretty stiff suspension setup with Tokico adjustables on 5.
I'll try to remove my quad-shocks they might be worn out plus with MM LCA they are more like just extra weight anyway, right?

Last edited by Andrew WOT; 09-29-2004 at 10:10 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 08:52 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to TMcColl
Where did you get this transmission and what was cost?

I will be in need of a tranny some time in the not to distant future.

Tony

Tony McColl
1994 LX 4.6L
New motor as of Aug 1st.
No Dyno Numbers yet.
Just two runs at 5800 ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2203515
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Took off quads.
Didn't help much with the wheel hop at first, but then I went for WOT run, car shifted a couple of times really hard and.... something changed, shifts are totally different now, lightning fast and firm. I can't believe auto tranny could be so quick. It's literally blink of the eye shifts, and I'm talking part throttle here, and no even a hint of wheelhop in fact car handles better without quads
It clunks a bit on 2-3 shifts though. Wondering if this is normal?
And what the hell has happened that changed the whole nature of the tranny?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 08:15 PM
4th Gear Poster

could be your driveshaft....

No matter how good she looks. No matter how cool she is about your "stuff". No matter how great she is in bed, someone somewhere is sick of her crap.

1995 850R with 18T, 3" downpipe, R.I.P. kit, ported intake,42lb injectors, N/A cams, 960 throttlebody, Rica tune(15psi in first and second 17psi in third and fourth). Bilsteins all around, V70R caliper and rotor upgrade, total lack of traction. IPD STB, Ultra Racing lower braces and RSTB.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

You mean clunking?
Didn't do this with old tranny and J-mod.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

who installed this tranny??, check the trans mount. I dont see anything in the trans that would make your car jump like wheel hopping does. Check your IRS bushings too.

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6spd
Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
American Racing Long Tube Headers
Catted X pipe
MBRP Mufflers
Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft
Custom Street Tuned

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in