i, joey love the 4r70w - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
i, joey love the 4r70w

yes, i do, mine blew today, i lost 3rd and 4th, pretty sure its blown, b/c of the TC, the car above around 2300 rpms tach wise in 2nd acts like its in neutral, it wont shift into 3rd or 4th also

fluid smells toasted a bit but is still redish, does anyone at all think this could possibly not be a blown trannsmission? a far fetched idea but my dad was reciting to me about how it could be an eltronic issue, i might as well ask that to before i go commiting to alota money or alot of time or a mix of the both somewhere in between

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 12:48 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to TbirdSims
hmmm..i would say that the tranny has definetly died, when mine blew second gear was shot, i had the B&M electronic kit in at the time, and if i turned it off, the car woulndt shift, it would only shift if i had the kit on, so since you lost 3rd n 4th i would say that your tranny is shot.

Hayden Trans Cooler, R2C Cold Air intake, BBK Tuned Shortie Headers, Pypes High Flow Cats, Flowmaster 40's, SCT VMP Custom Tune, 06 spinner center caps, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Smoked Fogs, Blackout headlight covers, 8000K HID Headlights, Sequential Tails.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 05:07 AM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
Sorry for being off-topic, but Slims I love that avatar!

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
that was definitly what i was thinking, im figuring the tc lost a good sized chunk out of her, and it infested my training then decided to take out 3rd gear and my od band, but i might still have 4th i havent gotten a fast enuf speed for the car actaully to try to shift into 4th, but its cute, back to the maxima, looking for a new tranny or might get a buddy of a buddy of mine to get her rebuilt for less then 800 bucks or so, time to look around at the options price wise

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 09:05 AM

That's exactly what just happened to mine. My fluid is kinda half-toasted as well, and I don't have 3rd or 4th any more and when you leave it in D, it'll try to shift to 3rd but it'll just neutral out like you described. My dad even told me that it might be an electrical problem. I can't see how it could possibly be electrical. But I was planning on replacing the junk 94 tranny with a 99+ anyway so it's not a huge deal for me. I had a good excuse to get a Marauder converter and a new tranny! I'll tell you, though, when it went, it nearly killed me. I was on the freeway trying to pass a semi and the fool thing downshifted to 2nd while I was changing lanes. I almost got creamed by several tons of semi truck and trailer. Not to mention I had to limp home at about 35 on the freeway.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 09:24 AM

Same thing happened to me a few months ago.....

Trans was toast

Sorry....

Dave

Time to visit

www.car-part.com
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 09:24 AM
4th Gear Poster

Thanks Falcon! Yeah, i hate to say it man, but the tranny is shot, if you can afford it, from what everyone says on here your better off getting a 99+ tranny, but i got mine rebuilt almost a year ago, and the 95's were not the best trannys in the world, ive had no problems with mine, except the trans-go kit that the shop put in is messing everything up, i already orderd the PA valve body for it, since the tranny decides to slip going 1-2 at WOT at times, and it only gets worse, but that will be solved soon.

Hayden Trans Cooler, R2C Cold Air intake, BBK Tuned Shortie Headers, Pypes High Flow Cats, Flowmaster 40's, SCT VMP Custom Tune, 06 spinner center caps, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Smoked Fogs, Blackout headlight covers, 8000K HID Headlights, Sequential Tails.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 09:47 AM

heh...mine was rebuilt just before I bought it, and the whole car only has 78K on it. the 94 tranny is worthless.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 10:28 AM
4th Gear Poster

mine had 112k on it when the tranny blew, since then, everytime i get the oil changed i have them check out the tranny, make sure theres nothing unusual in the pan, i got 124k on there now, n besides the Trans-Bad kit, its holdin up pretty well

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to KrAzyT
yay!! Im not the only one! Mine had only 60k on her !!!! BASTERD THING!

1996 Thunderbird 4.6 -Sold-
259.4 hp and 285.3 tq on mustang dyno
Bunch of motorcycles
2004 F150
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 07:00 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Blackicelsc
85k, never really "blew"... but started acting senile.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
I had like 110 on the clock when I lost 3rd and 4rth. Joey, I'm betting you lost the little spring clip on the (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) Direct Drum. That's what 'caused my failure and it did exactly what you're describing.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 08:45 AM

I'm going to be tearing my old one down to both figure out how it works and what went wrong with it. Should be fun. I have to give it back to the junkyard, but since its toasted I might as well learn something first.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 12:58 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Blackicelsc
I am getting prety excited about the teardown of my old one. Like I said, I didnt have a "failure"...I had "warnings", and I dont wait around for "warnings" to become "events".

In fact, most people out there would probably keep driving their car if it did what mine was doing.

Not me...I want to go, go fast, go big. None of this *****-footing around stuff. if it cant handle what I am throwing at it, it gets replaced, or upgraded.

When I do find out what went funky in my JMOD'd 94 trans, at 80k miles, I'll be sure to let you all know.

I am being told "this transmission wasnt made to be raced" by many...well, it may not be "set up" to be raced...but I assure you...it does race!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in