HOW TO: 03 4R70W into an SC - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

HOW TO: 03 4R70W into an SC

There are very few things that you will have to change to do this, so here it goes.The good thing about using these 03 trannys are that it already has a Mech Drum installed in it, and that in 03 Ford started Brazing in the TC, and they have worked out all the little kinks ours a prone to having.

1:You will need to remove the tranny #1 rule PB blaster will help loosen any bolt if its a high milage car.
drain tranny and torque converter before beginning. about 12 quarts worth.

1. Take off exhaust from manifolds back. Need to take a little crossmember off in order to do this, you'll see it when you get under there.
2. Take off all heat shields. And remove the 2 driveshaft saftey loops.
3. unbolt driveshaft.
4. Lower gas tank (with a jack supported by a wood board, the bigger the better also helps if its 1/4 tank or less.) by the 4 bolts holding it on with 2 straps, also a good idea to remove the bolt from the filler tube right near the spring. Slide out driveshaft.
5. mount gas tank back in place.
6. remove negative battery terminal and remove starter, (BIG sparks if it's not unhooked)
7. unclip the wiring harness, and throttle body valve linkage. If I remember right it's not a good idea to take off the neutral switch.
8. remove bellhousing bolts leave 1 on each side to hold it in place for the time being.
9. remove fluid coolant lines
10. place tranny jack/ jack with a board on it to support the crossmember and pan at the same time, I found this to make it easier to balance on the jack.
11. support engine by oil pan with a block of wood to distribute the weight. unbolt torque converter from flywheel. you have to turn the engine over with a breaker bar by the crank pulley to get to the 4 bolts.
12. unbolt the crossmember by each side then take out the 2 bolts on the bellhousing.
13. have a friend hold the tranny steady while you SLOWLY slide it off the pins and lower it, as it goes down you can actually sit under the car.
14. reverse to install. remember that the throttle body valve linkage is very sensitive to adjustment DO NOT tinker with it or you'll be doing the same thing all over again real soon.
(Steps from Tony8470)

Now while the tranny is out here is where you will be doing a few changes. You will be changing the pinout on the main transmission connector, the TCC solenoid, and MLPS.

#2: while tranny is removed you will want to take the pan off your 03 tranny to replace the tcc solenoid. you will have to remove the black piece shown here in yellow, to get to the TCC Solenoid.

#3: Now you will need to repin the transmission connector, this is what it looks like

now this is what the repin should look like when done, courtesy of Big Scott

this is what mine looked like, i just taped up the extra 2 power wires.

now there is a whole write up on the pinout located here

#4: Now because we could not think of any other way at the time we changed out the linkage cable end with the one on the old tranny(the 03 uses a sqaure piece vs the sc which uses the ball)

#5 This box(OSS) also needs to be changed out with the old one,

And thats it install your new tranny, make sure to fill it up with fluids.

I must also give credit in this post to Big Scott for the correct pinout, and to dirtyd0g aka Allen ? who is a tranny and Converter Guru(he makes them), i would recomend him for anything having to deal with your tranny, he is the one who first started me on my quest, and helped me a ton along the way, really a great man. And also to Racecouger AKA: Rod, who helped me in the heat of installing, who climbed out from working on a car to help me out, and for his posts which eventually got me headed in the right direction. And one last one, Birdman93 AKA Tony Poole, who guided me over the phone while he was online trying to find a answer and explain it to me during a problem(that was fun ) and anyone else i have forgotton.

Without the members of a community like this, i would have never been able to do this, thank you all. And to the members who were not in on this, thank you!(for my future problems )

Hope this helps someone sometime

If i have forgotton anything please tell me.

Tyler

Last edited by [email protected]; 12-10-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Automatic Weapon

This has Tech article written ALL over it!

<----not throwing rocks at girls anymore
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Like Titles Matter

Rather than tape up the 2 extra wires, I put them into the 2 leftover holes in the connector. The trans half of the connector has no pins in those 2 locations, so no issues.

"This box" is the OSS.

Have you verified your speedo is correct or even working yet? It certainly should be incorrect at best unless you installed a speedcal. I have a feeling it is not going to work at all though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Speedo works just fine, it is however a little bit off, not by much, i havnt tested yet to see how far off it is, but i can always replace the speedo gear when i get around to it. Thanks for letting me know about that box also

Tyler
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 10:02 AM

Do you have to replace the OSS for all 99+ transmissions, or just the 03+?
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 11:08 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Blackicelsc
Tyler...excellent job. I was going to do the same thing when I installed my 98 tranny into my 94 mark VIII.

I also had to move my linkage rod over from my 94 to the 98 since the 98's was a round hole, instead of a squared off "lock" style.

nice pics....except I didnt remove the driveshaft...I removed the front U-joint from the yoke, and shaft, and just moved the D/S up and out of the way. This saved me A TON of time. as I dropped the tranny, it easily cleared the D/S flange. Then, just replace the U-joint while the tranny is out, and the yoke is in your hand anyway(from one tranny to the other). Then, install the new U-joint to the D/S flange when it goes back in. No tank drop, and barely any exhaust drop.

My speedo is also off(by 10 mph at 75-it sais 85). I assume since the Mustang tranny I got came from a 3.27 car, and went into my 3.08 car.

Very nice job.

SloMo, did you do everything in this article correctly? if so, then I think the pin-out connector must be your only problem.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Tyler I have sort of bad news for you. The supercoupe motors are neutral balance, meaning you can install a markVIII flexplate on them and the marauder converter. Sorry I didn't know this sooner I never really looked into the 3.8 balance setup until recently. I am still not sure if all 3.8's are neutral balance,but apparently the SC ones are.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

So your speedo works? We keep getting conflicting reports about 03+ trannies not having the gear on the output shaft the VSS meshes with. I wish we could get some pics of the 03+'s to verify wth is going on there.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

yes the speedo works, ill see if i can find a good pic for you, but i can tell you for sure that the shaft is there, there is a black plug covering it, you just have to open your eyes a bit and unscrew the 2 screws , then its all good from there.

Tyler
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 05:55 PM

I did everything in this write-up except changing the OSS. Is that something that I should have done? I don't remember reading anything about it anywhere for a 99 transmission. My classes are finally ending soon, so I'll have some time to try and fix this bugger once more.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

what is yours doing? make sure you check and recheck your pin job! Im not so sure about the OSS, Alan AKA DirtyD0g may know. I know that this works as i wrote it for a 03 Tranny, i really honestly have no idea, what is different about the 99 to the 03 except for the brazed in TC.

Tyler

PS:im still looking for that pic
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
I'm just wondering what the advantage or gain is of doing all the work you did?

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 08:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
thats an early supercoupe with a 4r70w?

How does that work with the computer?

The sc didn't get the 4r until 94, and your car looks like one earlier than 93.

JH
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 08:32 PM

I was thinking that too. Those are pre-94 SC wheels on it, but it's a 94-95 SC. Look at the front bumper.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 08:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
oh the wheels threw me off. I looked at the lights, and it looked like a 93 for some reason to me.

The side body trim gives it away as a 94-95.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Falcon5783 I'm just wondering what the advantage or gain is of doing all the work you did?

Quote:
The good thing about using these 03 trannys are that it already has a Mech Drum installed in it, and that in 03 Ford started Brazing in the TC, and they have worked out all the little kinks ours a prone to having.

Falcon5783 Im sure that Alan could chime in a little more about whats better since he is the tranny guy.Somthing i think i forgot also is that they have a wide gear ratio, but hopefully Alam will chime in here, and explain all the differences, i know that he made a post somewhere about the advantages of the newer tranny, try a search. It has been awhile since i talked with him on the phone and thats when he really convinced me to go with the newer tranny. Plus i paid $400 for this 03 tranny with 7k miles on it, rather than a rebuild which was $1400.

Tyler
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 06:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, the 03 tranny has a case that is designed to provide better exhaust for the forward clutch, the newest style accumulators and it is simply stronger than the 94 case that was in his car.
The valve body has had several changes to help the converter and provide better shifting. It also has a nicer setup for the electronics, no wires.
The biggest thing is that it just has the best of the best parts available in a factory Ford transmission and it is better suited for a performance buildup because it already contains the strongest gearset. The 94-95 gearset was by far the worst. The 96 and up were better, but this one has the same gearset as the 5.4 so it is stronger yet.
There are some other things including better design frictions and different stacks on the clutch packs, but the above are the most important items.
Hope this helps

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 06:38 AM
Converter Guy

What he said he builds transmissions for me.. As far as the OSS goes I don't know of any difference in them. The VSS requires that there is a place on the output shaft to runs it. I looked at 3 03 4r70w's the other day at a local salvage yard and all of them Had it. They had an 04 that did not have it. The best I can tell is that if the extension housing does not have a hole in it the shaft has no teeth. If it has a little plastic plug on it there are still teeth in there. I highly recommend you check these things before buying a transmission.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com

Last edited by dirtyd0g; 12-13-2004 at 07:04 AM.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 06:55 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I forgot to say that I think that most all of everyone on this board will not need that 5.4 style gearset. You would have a much bigger problem with our IRS setup before you could even begin to worry about breaking the gearset.
But, the change from the 94-95 gearset to the 96 and up is the most important if you want it to last. I wouldn't use the 94-95 gearset for anything in my opinion.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, I'm not a fan of those aluminum bushings in the early gearsets either.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Converter Guy

I thought the biggest issue with the early gearsets was the sun gear. I have yet to find an early one that wasn't bad.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 12:14 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Blackicelsc
not to mention the mechanical diode as opposed to a roller, and the 94-95 TC's were pretty sloppy.

I went with a 98 Mustang tranny in my 94 mark VIII for a couple reasons. Price, the fact that it had already been "built up", and TIMING...I needed it yesterday, and got it at the exact moment there was a SCREAMIN deal on a '03 Mach 1 TC.

sometimes you get lucky, and with the help of the right people, things come together.
right people= Alan, Johhny L, Silver95, and Andrew WOT.

Last edited by Blackicelsc; 12-13-2004 at 12:20 PM.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

And for what most people on here need, that 98 is just fine. I don't know if the sun gear changed in 96 or not, I wall have to look that one up. I admit I was talking about the bushings switching from aluminum to brass.
Yup, the MD was a change made sometime in the 97 model year. All 98 and up have them. We weld the snap rings on the ones we build.

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 04:02 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Ashish
dirtydog, I have a question regarding the plug you are talking about on the extension housing. Is this the same area where the speedo gear goes in our 97 trannies. I just want to make sure I am looking at the right area. I might be gettin a 03 tranny pretty cheap.

1997 Birdie, its the good one. Limited Edition Sport Sold
9/6/03-9/7/03-J mod & Mark VIII TC 12/26/03-Apten Chip & 03 GT MAF 3/11/04-3/14/04-PI Cams & PI Intake 8/19/04-FRPP 3.73 Diffy2/26/05-SCT chip (burned by Ken B.)

1998 Z28 M6 5.7 LS1
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Converter Guy

Ashish, Yes thats what I am talking about before you buy the unit make sure there are teeth inside there. I can almost guarantee if there is no hole there are no speedo teeth. Everyone I have looked at without a hole had a blank area instead of teeth. Just to be safe remove the 7/16 head bolt and plastic cap and look inside.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 03:23 AM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
Thanks Darrin, your answers helped a lot. I've got a 95 and I had to rebuild my trans at 65K. If I'd been on the forums then I seriously would have considered doing this swap. My question now is if/when I build up a 4.3 stroker engine, how much hp is that trans setup rated for?

+1

Elliot
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 09:58 AM
TCCoA Preferred Vendor

Send a message via AIM to blk mk8
i though the 3.8 had a 5.0 bell housing pattern. unless you are talking about using a newer mustang auto tranny.

OWNER of Accelerated Race Technoligies

www.speedfreak.cc
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by blk mk8
i though the 3.8 had a 5.0 bell housing pattern. unless you are talking about using a newer mustang auto tranny.
It does.

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 03:34 AM
Dim Bulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Falcon5783
How much hp is that trans setup rated for?
bump, just wondering

+1

Elliot
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 05:22 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

There is no way to answer your question unless you ask the builder short of taking it apart and inspecting it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in