There are very few things that you will have to change to do this, so here it goes.The good thing about using these 03 trannys are that it already has a Mech Drum installed in it, and that in 03 Ford started Brazing in the TC, and they have worked out all the little kinks ours a prone to having.
1:You will need to remove the tranny #1 rule PB blaster will help loosen any bolt if its a high milage car.
drain tranny and torque converter before beginning. about 12 quarts worth.
1. Take off exhaust from manifolds back. Need to take a little crossmember off in order to do this, you'll see it when you get under there.
2. Take off all heat shields. And remove the 2 driveshaft saftey loops.
3. unbolt driveshaft.
4. Lower gas tank (with a jack supported by a wood board, the bigger the better also helps if its 1/4 tank or less.) by the 4 bolts holding it on with 2 straps, also a good idea to remove the bolt from the filler tube right near the spring. Slide out driveshaft.
5. mount gas tank back in place.
6. remove negative battery terminal and remove starter, (BIG sparks if it's not unhooked)
7. unclip the wiring harness, and throttle body valve linkage. If I remember right it's not a good idea to take off the neutral switch.
8. remove bellhousing bolts leave 1 on each side to hold it in place for the time being.
9. remove fluid coolant lines
10. place tranny jack/ jack with a board on it to support the crossmember and pan at the same time, I found this to make it easier to balance on the jack.
11. support engine by oil pan with a block of wood to distribute the weight. unbolt torque converter from flywheel. you have to turn the engine over with a breaker bar by the crank pulley to get to the 4 bolts.
12. unbolt the crossmember by each side then take out the 2 bolts on the bellhousing.
13. have a friend hold the tranny steady while you SLOWLY slide it off the pins and lower it, as it goes down you can actually sit under the car.
14. reverse to install. remember that the throttle body valve linkage is very sensitive to adjustment DO NOT tinker with it or you'll be doing the same thing all over again real soon. (Steps from Tony8470)
Now while the tranny is out here is where you will be doing a few changes. You will be changing the pinout on the main transmission connector, the TCC solenoid, and MLPS.
#2: while tranny is removed you will want to take the pan off your 03 tranny to replace the tcc solenoid. you will have to remove the black piece shown here in yellow, to get to the TCC Solenoid.
#3: Now you will need to repin the transmission connector, this is what it looks like
now this is what the repin should look like when done, courtesy of Big Scott
this is what mine looked like, i just taped up the extra 2 power wires.
now there is a whole write up on the pinout located here
#4: Now because we could not think of any other way at the time we changed out the linkage cable end with the one on the old tranny(the 03 uses a sqaure piece vs the sc which uses the ball)
#5 This box(OSS) also needs to be changed out with the old one,
And thats it install your new tranny, make sure to fill it up with fluids.
I must also give credit in this post to Big Scott for the correct pinout, and to dirtyd0g aka Allen ? who is a tranny and Converter Guru(he makes them), i would recomend him for anything having to deal with your tranny, he is the one who first started me on my quest, and helped me a ton along the way, really a great man. And also to Racecouger AKA: Rod, who helped me in the heat of installing, who climbed out from working on a car to help me out, and for his posts which eventually got me headed in the right direction. And one last one, Birdman93 AKA Tony Poole, who guided me over the phone while he was online trying to find a answer and explain it to me during a problem(that was fun
) and anyone else i have forgotton.
Without the members of a community like this, i would have never been able to do this, thank you all. And to the members who were not in on this, thank you!(for my future problems
Hope this helps someone sometime
If i have forgotton anything please tell me.