4r70w in aode car - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

4r70w in aode car

ok let me run through this I have a 95 mustang gts with an aode and i want to put in a 4r70w from a v-6 I need to know pin outs for harnesses for the change over and need to know if my converter will work from the aode(its a new one 2800 stall) and need to know if i can use my j-moded valvebody in the 4r70w the donor trans is from a 98 mustang. this is only temporary because I am going to be rebuilding the AODE with 4r70w internals while i use the v-6 trans.thnx for the help (past and future)

Last edited by FREAKYFAST; 12-20-2004 at 07:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:12 AM

Why not use an Explorer 4R70W? There were a few years where the Explorer still had the 5.0, and it also had a 4R. I think that this would be a stronger transmission than a V6 4R, but I'm not sure about that.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:13 AM

BTW, what is a Mustang GTS? I've never heard of that before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:52 AM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via AIM to WkStill Send a message via Yahoo to WkStill
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/94-98/95/

GTS is a GT but stripdowned (sorta like an LX of the fox days)

so.. GT Stripped.. :-)

bauman has new 0 mile 98' 5.0 4r's for $1300

1984 Merc Cougar
5.0L, GT40X HEADS, E303 CAM,X303 Valvetrain
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
190LPH, 67mm EGR, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L MAF, 24lb/h Inj, TwEECer RT, A3M EEC-IV
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by FREAKYFAST
I need to know pin outs for harnesses for the change over
http://www.personal.psu.edu/tfg112/t...icle/swap1.pdf
pages 9-11

Quote:
and need to know if my converter will work from the aode(its a new one 2800 stall)
yes. Put a quart of ATF in it and agitate it real well, then pull the drain plug and get the fluid back out - just in case there is debris still left in it. Also flush the radiator with a can of that kooler klean or whatever they call it. If there is debris left anywhere in the system it will eventually kill the tranny.

Quote:
and need to know if i can use my j-moded valvebody in the 4r70w the donor trans is from a 98 mustang. this is only temporary because I am going to be rebuilding the AODE with 4r70w internals while i use the v-6 trans.thnx for the help (past and future)
You want to use your j-modded AODE valvebody in the 4R70W? I really wouldnt bother considering it wont be in there very long. Just don't beat on the GTS while youre waiting for the AODE to get built.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

The GTS was not just a stripped version-it was a build your own for SCCA racers i have seen them with every option but mach 460 and leather. you could get any option a gt could but those two options. I have one of 106 with a factory installed 3 post spoiler. Even more rare I have one with an automatic.only 38 with spoiler and auto.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Converter builder friend of mine said Ican flush with a can of brake cleaner-said its basiclly same stuff. is this correct?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

dirtyd0g would be the best to ask, but I'm not sure brake cleaner is good for the clutch inside the TC. Sounds like your friend works mostly on older trannies.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Not in Converter, inside lines and cooler,should have been a little more specific I guess. BTW found what killed my trans---Roller Diode is trashed found pieces in pan and a piece was wedged in my cooler line blocking it shut.when I picked the new one up I had to turn the shaft and Click Click (ahh the sound of perfection) I heard the mechanical diode. so I am certain this is going to be much better. taking a break now --ready to start the wiring portion of the night. thinking cant I just use the pigtail from the 98 car to splice into my factory harness on my 95 If I use butt connectors and heatshrink I wouldnt think it could hurt.also does anyone know how hard it is to replace the TCC solenoid?do I have to drop valvebody? do I even have to change it(I assume so) and should I do a trans filter and fluid change in a week to make sure all is well.
-thnx
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Ok tranny's are swapped let me get someone to double check me.

swapped tailshafts
swapped harness plugs
cleaned converter
cleaned lines
swapped TCC
changed filter
anything else I missed?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

should be okay if its all done right. i assume the shifter cable fit okay?

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Flushing these converters is about worthless. If it got contaminated the contamination is stuck in the clutch lining.
Use the converter from the new tranny or have yours cut and inspected.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

dont think anything got to converter I'm using 3 magnets in my pan so anything mettalic doesnt have a chance of getting by.also I didnt drain the tc because I was afraid that larger particles would get caught inside if they did so I used fluid suction machine (like a powerful vaccum cleaner for liquids) Nothing came out metal wise and fluid was clean and clear but did find a few chunks of Roller diode on magnets. TCC was a bit of a B**** to do but found out that a hacksaw blade works great for cutting the bakolite on connector. Also figured out hat its best to get the pigtail from new tranny and splice it in (I practiced removing pins on another connector and kept breaking little tabs) so Splicing is easier because I have right tools and supplies(I work in Marine electronics so I know a little about watertight connections) How much fluid should this thing take? drained everything and cleaned it all out thuroughly so complete fill.autozone specs say 13 3/5 quarts! damn is that right? Thats alot of fluid. Have 10 in it now and ran out but its not to bottom of stick yet.

Last edited by FREAKYFAST; 12-22-2004 at 04:09 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 07:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Sounds like you are nearly done, so best of luck with it. Remember that good advice is here if you run into any problem and need it.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I just found out the specifics on the problem that I was worried about (knew) with swapping a 4r70 into a car with an AODE. This word came down directly from someone who "knows". Without a chip to correct it, it WILL burn up the clutches because of slippage during shifts. Credit to Lonnie at Blue Oval for getting that critical info.

On a side note, if you reuse that torque converter, my opinion is that you will be replacing your transmission again in a short while. You can get a converter from Ford for less than $200. Same for the Flush for the lines and cooler. $20 will get you 2 cans of the proper stuff. A little bit of leftover contamination and you can kiss that new tranny goodbye as well. Why risk all this work for a measly $200 and change?
I have kept pretty quiet, but I am very concerned that some of these shortcuts will cost you a lot more than doing it properly the first time.
And I just have to know, what wires are you splicing? You are not talking about the harness inside the tranny are you? A 98 or newer tranny shouldn't have wires in it. You want to use that part. The new setup is a lot nicer than those wires.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

spliced outside harness, works good -I have a drag car sponsored by a converter shop and he built me one for free so Thats done-Lonnie just email'd me with same info 1-2 is slugish and 2-3 cant be felt so I contacted him about a chip-so I'll try not to drive it much until I get chip but tranny will only be in til new years anyways. but will probably go with 4r70w replacement anyway.I read the cooler flush and read brake cleaner MSDS's and its the same thing.so used carb cleaner and a fluid flush machine at work and I am satisfied that its clean.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The transmission cooler cleaner I am talking about is absolutely NOT the same thing as brake cleaner. I can assure you of that with 100% certainty. That cooler cleaner is oil based and brake clean is alcohol based. To say that they are even similar is rediculous. The brake clean will dry out seals and destroy the clutch in a converter where the cooler cleaner will not. Shop solvent is a whole different animal than brake clean as well. Now, you can use brake clean to flush the lines and the cooler in the radiator as long as you disconnect both lines from the transmission and make sure you blow it all out of there with air after you are done. But if you ever put brake clean in your lockup converter, it will be done well before you expected.
I just prefer to do things a certain way. As long as you didn't improperly use brake clean, its all good.
Why would you put in a tranny for a week or two just to change it out for another one? That is too much trouble. In my opinion, a rental car would be a better choice if this is your daily.
One last thing, does the 1-2 come at the proper time? We were discussing this and my bet is it shifts a little early.
Glad to see that you got the info you needed and best wishes.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

it actually is a little late, Iused the brake cleaner on the lines only, I have a new converter:My drag car is sponsored by a converter company and they give me whatever I need in the way of converters as well as doing all the manual labor part of the tranny swap, they did swap in about an hour and I changed fluid cleaned lines, changed harness and refilled it, they test converters in my drag car to see what they can get from different sized converters and from different trannys---my car had a c-6 then it had a TH-400 then it finally got a powerglide so they have been testing quite a bit. I am in the process of selling the car(have buyer already) and will be turning to a newer bodystyle to generate more sponsors.(nobody wants to sponsor a dated bodystyle unless its a classic) I am also thinking about going into SCCA racing (my first Love) because Drag racing is getting tooo boring. but anyways the 1-2 is late and the 2-3 is also a little late both at WOT. and yes I did detatch the cooler lines to blow them out. I found a piece of metal in return line but instead of using the radiator cooler now I'm using a fluidyne and a B&M cooler-I autocross this car and theres no shortage of heat for tranny.also I live in florida where its not hard to get tranny up to operating temp.but I'm purchasing a chip burner and the equipment asssociated So I can stat burning the chips I need to correct this conversion and to allow me to correct for my ever-changing combinations.350 for a chip every couple of months get expensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in