HELP! 4r70w transmission performance questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

HELP! 4r70w transmission performance questions

alright-heres the deal-the cars not necesarily a t-bird, it may be blasphemous (sp?) but this questions for my mustang-its a 1999 gt, auto-ive done a lot of reading on the j-mod, but im confused as to whether itll take the place of a shift kit, or if its just used in conjunction with a good shift kit (transgo) and a proper tune. Ive also heard that its kind of pointless to put a converter in at my stage (around 350 hp n/a) as the stock ones stall at around 2600rpms give or take-what are your takes on this? is it necessary or? thanks a lot guys, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
the Jmod takes the place of 'shift kits'.....The Man strongly suggests not using any aftermarket shift kits

most all 4.6s will benefit from a higher stall converter seeing as how the torque peaks are usually around 3.5k to 4.5k RPMs, depending on mods
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to KrAzyT
I have 450hp setting on my Jmod with no springs.. also sporting a 3800 stall with a 40k tranny cooler.. Trans is from a 01 gt with SUPER low miles. JMODS ARE FUN! Get yourself a higher stall also from alan(dirtydog) You'll love the 450hp jmod setting if you go that far.

1996 Thunderbird 4.6 -Sold-
259.4 hp and 285.3 tq on mustang dyno
Bunch of motorcycles
2004 F150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Hey Krazy, with the 450hp setting and all that stuff in your 01 trans., how does it shift? I'll only be running a 2800 stall on a stock 95 motor, but I wanted an impression of the shift characteristics of that setup. I was going to stick to the 300hp setting, but I don't know. I do have to drive in the rain occasionally, lol..

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to KrAzyT
Hey,

As long as your not hard on it when its rains ull be fine... But either way im very happy with my 450 setting... I was set at a lower setting on my 96 tranny and it was nice but didnt shift hard enough to make me happy. I can get you some videos of how it shifts with the 3800stall and the jmod. But anyways I can not drive in snow at all... maybe a little bit but if there's more than a inch no way! As soon as roads clear of snow and ice ill get them for ya

1996 Thunderbird 4.6 -Sold-
259.4 hp and 285.3 tq on mustang dyno
Bunch of motorcycles
2004 F150
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

FordMan77,
I have the highest settings on my 96 and the engine is still bone stock with the factory converter, 3.27 trac lok rear and standard size junk tires.
At full throttle, I get a little sideways on dry payement. There is no such thing as full throttle on wet pavement. But, if you are driving normally, there isn't any problem. What happens is that it doesn't take it's time while shifting now. There is no smooth slow transition into gear like you would want in a plush luxury car, it is just a firm and very quick shift like it should be if you want performance.
I drive it in the snow and the only problem I have is getting going from a dead stop and that is just because the tires suck and I have trac lok. It gets rear end happy on wet pavement too for the same reason.
On a bone stock car like this, the shift can be a little jarring at times if you aren't used to it. A higher stall converter takes a lot of the hit out of it. In my Mustang with the 3800 stall I don't feel the shift nearly as much.
My 96 bird is getting a converter that will stall at ~2800. The way it is now is a little surprising for a factory setup because it brake stalls right under 2000 and flashes to just over 2000. I had to get out the NGS to check it. I knew it felt a little different than others that I have driven, but I didn't trust my feel or the tach enough to believe it until I logged it.
I would go with at least the 300-450hp settings on the j-mod if you are getting a 2800 stall. Are you planning on a chip or tuning?
The reason KrAzyT can't drive his in the snow is because of the stall by the way.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 11:30 AM

I have the 450hp JMod setting, and with the chip, it shifts pretty hard.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich95XR7
I have the 450hp JMod setting, and with the chip, it shifts pretty hard.
Yeah but you need more stall.

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

I also want full manual control over my shifting-can i get that with the j-mod alone? thanks guys-keep it coming.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

You can get a PA (Performance Automatic) full auto valve body. I believe that this will allow manual shifts??

And on the stall settings/j-mod settings:

I have the 300hp drill spec in my junk 95 right now, and with the stock converter, and good stock size tires, it will pull the rears loose on dry pavement a bit when it goes from 1-2. I could care less about how hard it shifts, as long as it doesn't shift so hard that it gets out of control if my wife is driving it around. She's not what I would consider "skilled" in that area.

I think what I'll end up doing is: 450hp J-mod, 2800 stall conv., no springs? (I thought the 1-2 piston required at least the top one???)

If this thing shifts smoother than what I have now, I'll be upset to say the least.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan77
I think what I'll end up doing is: 450hp J-mod, 2800 stall conv., no springs? (I thought the 1-2 piston required at least the top one???)
It does

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in