4r70w - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

4r70w

We have a 1997 Lincoln Town Car with 60,000 miles on it and we are having a problem with the transmission.

When the vehicle is cold the transmission will shift fine but if we drive it 5-10 miles and park few a few minutes and then drive again it will shift from 1st to 2nd with no problems but it will go from 2nd to neutral and then it will finally go to 3rd and then overdrive and be fine untill we park it agin or have to idle for short time.

It is like the heat build up under the hood or next to the transmission is causing a problem. Once we get air going through things it seams to be alright.

I have replace the fluid, filter, shift solenoid and the mlps and none of that has helped.

I have been told that the throttle position sensor, vehicle speed sensor or the 2-3 accumulator could be bad.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Would Mercon V help?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
A transmission has to be pretty bad to not work when it's cold. If heat is the problem I'd say you have a bad converter or engine cooling problem. Sounds like the tranny is toast to me. Or the direct clutches at least. That could possibly be related to the stock pcm in that vehicle. I suggest at the very least taking it to the dealer for a reflash or preferabbly putting a SCT tune on it. That is of course after you fix that transmission and put a big cooler on it.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Problem solved

I talked to the transmission guy at a nearby Lincoln dealer and he told me that they have had several cars doing the same thing and most were the mlps. I told him that I had replaced that part and it did not help. He said that they had one that sent no codes but it was a bad throttle position sensor so I replaced our and that took care of the problem.

About a week before ours started acting up I had cleaned the maf with CRC Lectra Motive cleaner. I let the part dry before putting it back in and even let the car set before starting it. I really do not think that had anything to do with it but I can not think of anything else.

If anyone else has the same problem and can not figure it out even you are not getting any codes you may want to try the same thing.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in