4R70W need help! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

4R70W need help!

Okay I have a modified 1999 Mustang GT. Its been tuned great and on my auto tranny I have had the shift points adjusted and I run a B&M cooler.

Okay, the owner before me had (600 miles ago) the tranny fluid flushed and replaced with Mobil 1. So is it a good idea to take the car to my Ford dealer next week and have it replaced with the standard Mercon V? I don't have jackstands or much knowledge of changing tranny fluid myself besides you only get a portion of it so I guess its better to get it "flushed" since Mobil 1 shouldn't be in it at all.

Also what temp is considered "hot" for the 4r70w? I have aa tranny cooler and she rarely gets over 190 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 10:51 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Yes have the mercon V installed in it. 190 degrees isn't bad if you see that all the time you need a little more cooler, my goal is usually about 180 degrees.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Veteran Poster

How did you adjust the shift points.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via AIM to WkStill Send a message via Yahoo to WkStill
You modify the shift points via the EEC.

I run ~ 175, no radiator cooler, only external, florida heat.

1984 Merc Cougar
5.0L, GT40X HEADS, E303 CAM,X303 Valvetrain
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
190LPH, 67mm EGR, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L MAF, 24lb/h Inj, TwEECer RT, A3M EEC-IV
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Veteran Poster

yes......but then it holds the info...like flash memory, you don't have to HAVE THE modual to control/fool it?

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox
yes......but then it holds the info...like flash memory, you don't have to HAVE THE modual to control/fool it?
Can you rephrase that into a language I can understand?
What are you saying or asking?
I think "You modify the shift points via the EEC." was a good and easy to understand answer. What is this "modual" you are talking about?

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 07:05 PM

"Okay, the owner before me had (600 miles ago) the tranny fluid flushed and replaced with Mobil 1. So is it a good idea to take the car to my Ford dealer next week and have it replaced with the standard Mercon V?"

Welcome Biggie!

These tranny's do preferr mercon V, BUT,
AMSOIL UNIVERSAL ATF would be the very safe way to go for a synthetic substitute.
You'll double the heat tolerance, and add like 1/3 more time onto the change interval.
You have Synthetic in there now, so its something to be considered.
I wouldn't spend the way extra $ on Mobil Anything...
Just MO.
Good Luck!

paul
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 07:30 PM

Just go with mercon V and be done with it If you dont want to do it i would call around to a few shops to get some prices.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Veteran Poster

Darrin, what i was trying ask was....the memory of the shift point change is "stored" in the EEC. Meaning you don't have to carry a laptop or some other programming device along with you all the time.

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox
Darrin, what i was trying ask was....the memory of the shift point change is "stored" in the EEC. Meaning you don't have to carry a laptop or some other programming device along with you all the time.

no....once the EEC is programmed, its programmed. it holds the info.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Technically this topic has become two now..

In reqards to the "Shift Points" "Modification" Issue.

The changes are modified in the EEC's Programming, For some model cars, this is done with a "Flash" Programming device, and once the settings are changed, they are permanent. Some Cars can't have there "Programming" Modified via Flash Programming, and Require a Device such as a "Chip" which plugs into the J3 Ports on Older EEC-V and EEC-IV's

Now.. Here is a kicker.. Resent develops have come up where it is now (yes, now) that it soon be able able to reprogram older [EEC-IV] EEC's that are equipped with a "UV Erasable" EEProm. (However, this is in its very early developement), But for users such as me, I am forced to utilize a "J3" Adapter which does not use the internal eeprom/flash memory of the EEC.

Now, In order for me to "Alter" my shift points, it does require the use of a Laptop or other type of device to change the settings.

note: My 4r is not controlled by a Ford EEC, however, the principles are the same.

There.. That should clear it up once and for all :-)

1984 Merc Cougar
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Wow, looks like I sparked something.

My shift points were changed when the car was tuned after adding a supercharger to my car. It was tuned by Tim at Modular Powerhouse.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
well, if you arent familiar with changing the ATF, then have it done. I think Ford is charging about 100$ to do a flush. MerconV should do fine.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina
well, if you arent familiar with changing the ATF, then have it done. I think Ford is charging about 100$ to do a flush. MerconV should do fine.
I am next week.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Bignutt: I was replying to the "SilverFox" Question.

But yeah, Basically "Tim" used some form of method I posted... (which me and darrin were trying to point out to SilverFox.) Also, Darrin (The Ex-Great Obucina [hehe] is correct, Either have ford change the fluid, or do it yourself. Its not fun when there is no drain plug on the pan.

1984 Merc Cougar
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 10:53 PM
6th Gear Poster

I am using Mobil I. Used in my 1993 5.0. I'm using it now in my 1996 4.6. This fluid will perform as well as the Mercon. If it really was changed just recently, I do not understand why you want to flush it again.

Mitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in