Help with 4R70W - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Help with 4R70W

Newb here. I have a '95 Tbird that has a shifting problem. It has gotten worse and hopefully someone can give some guidance. When I take off it wont shift out of first until approx. 3K then when it does it seems to be skipping 2nd entirely and going to 3rd. It drives fine otherwise. If I try to start from 1st it will "disengage" and only engage with a little gas and then it pops in sharply. Any ideas short of replace it. Would a 1-2 accumulator help?? Thanks for any suggestions.
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

You can start by draining the fluid, pulling the pan and inspecting everything. Pay attention to the amount of sludge on the magnet in the pan and the color of the fluid.
Remove the 1-2 accumulator cap and check to see what you find in there and let us know.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Veteran Poster

run the codes.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well I am pretty sure I know what it is and it won't show a code on that 95. Even if it did it wouldn't be one that most people have the ability to get. You can't just go to Autozone and have them check it.
I just opened up a tranny from a car that had this problem this weekend. It won't give a code, trust me.
If you don't want to go to the trouble of taking it apart to diagnose it I wouldn't blame you. It needs a new transmission because the one way roller clutch grenaded.
I was trying to make suggestions to help teach someone something and in the process help others until I was interrupted.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies all! Much appreciated.
Greg
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Veteran Poster

hay now....no dis - you are right if it is indeed the OWC it would have been fun to see his reply. I was unaware that MANUAL 1st would act like that under this problem - the more you know :p

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Well, nowI'm going to throw a curve back at you. The tranny is f**kin haunted! It all of a sudden started shifting good again. The 1-2 shift is a little abrupt but at the right rpm's and it goes into 2nd and 3rd like it's supposed to.
I still need to do an inspection and switch to the Mercon V. So does that change any of the diagnosis??
Perplexed
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

you could possibly have a broken 1-2 accumulator spring that's wedging in there sideways causing your erratic shifts, but the part where you say 2nd engages with a popping or snapping type of shift has me thinking the roller OWC is letting go. I'd check the 1-2 accumulator, replace it with a new piston ($10) and see if it helps.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 06:33 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin
You can start by draining the fluid, pulling the pan and inspecting everything. Pay attention to the amount of sludge on the magnet in the pan and the color of the fluid.
Remove the 1-2 accumulator cap and check to see what you find in there and let us know.
Yup

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! You guys are very helpful. I want to pull the pan and check stuff out but I'd like to have at least the 1-2 and I guess the 2-3? accumulator parts so I can go ahead and do that stuff as well as a flush and switch to Mercon V. Any other "minimum" mods I should do while I'm in there and is there someone/somewhere on here I could get the parts from or should I just go to the stealer? Thanks in advance.
Greg
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have the parts but they won't be much if any cheaper than if you go to the dealer due to shipping costs.
If I were you, I would pull the pan and make sure its just that before I would buy any parts. But that is just me.
Also if you find that it is just the accumulator then you may consider getting one of my valve bodies. It is a complete valve body that has been disassembled and cleaned then rebuilt and modified with whatever level mod you want. It comes complete with all gaskets, accumulator pistons, springs, caps and instructions.
But be warned, you have a 95 transmission. I would save up the money for a late model replacement. There is a lot of bad stuff in that 95 tranny.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in