4R70W from 93 Mark - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

4R70W from 93 Mark

There is this 93 Mark that I am going to go and take a look at. Owner is stating that it slips in 3rd. I know that there were some issues with some electrical components in the early 4R70W's could one of those cause such a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 08:14 PM

I'm far from an expert, but I've experienced the death throes of the 4R70W, and slipping in third is one of the symptoms. That was the first year of the 4R70W; I believe it's the same transmission as the 94-95 4R's, which means that it's a piece of junk. If you can get a good deal on the Mark, I'd say go for it, then when the tranny dies, just replace it with a '99 and up 4R from a Mustang, Crown Vic (non-police), Grand Marquis, Marauder, Town Car, etc. The newer trannies are far more reliable and there's only a few simple modifications you need to do in order for it to work on the '93.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I'll give ya $50 for the output shaft the rest is scrap.

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228
I'm far from an expert, but I've experienced the death throes of the 4R70W, and slipping in third is one of the symptoms. That was the first year of the 4R70W; I believe it's the same transmission as the 94-95 4R's, which means that it's a piece of junk. If you can get a good deal on the Mark, I'd say go for it, then when the tranny dies, just replace it with a '99 and up 4R from a Mustang, Crown Vic (non-police), Grand Marquis, Marauder, Town Car, etc. The newer trannies are far more reliable and there's only a few simple modifications you need to do in order for it to work on the '93.

It's an OK deal. I have not seen the car in person, only pics. It's looks like it has been in a little side swipe, needs a door and the bottom front of the rear qtr panel, but he wants $650 obo, so who knows.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 09:02 PM

I'd offer him $500. If he takes it, a new(ish) tranny shouldn't cost you more than a grand, including a converter, new solenoids, J-Mod parts, a good tranny cooler, and 12 or so quarts of Mercon V. A door shouldn't be too hard to find in a junkyard or on here, and then you've got a nice, reliable, stylish ride. Assuming, of course, that you can find a door of the same color. If not, you could always have it painted. (And the bill keeps getting bigger and bigger! )
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:41 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Grand_Marquis_GT Send a message via Yahoo to Grand_Marquis_GT
And, its a mark 8.

hows the interior?

If your arm doesnt hurt, you aint shifting it hard enough!
1995 T-bird LX (Sharky) Third cat/muffler delete, 2200 stall, J-mod, Mechanical Diode, 3.27 trac-lock...
Cosmetic: Clear Corners, silverstar 3157s, Hoodpins, cheadlight covers...
Pros: Good on gas, faster than the merk at the moment
Cons: Multicolor paint.
1984 Grand Marquis "GT" Coupe 302 HO/Tremec 3550 swap in progress, suspension mods galore, and a killer stereo.
Pros: Comfortable, better stereo.
Cons: Sucks gas, slow (Till I get that motor in )
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Right, 93 and up would be a Mark 8. I never got the time to look at the car, it sold yesterday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in