4r70w problems - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 96fordtbird Send a message via Yahoo to 96fordtbird
4r70w problems

I recently rebuilt a 4r70w (96 Thunderbird) transmission. The reason for the rebuild was while in drive, the transmission would shift twice then rev the engine after that. I found some burn spots on the high band clutch pads and plates. I replaced all the clutch pads and plates and also the overdrive band. After the rebuild it's doing the same thing. I checked the sensors for ohm resistance and all check out fine. I think the problem lies in either the accumulators or the valve body, which i'm very unfamiliar with. The 2-3 accumulator and clip was questionable when i reinstalled it, something about it just didn't seem right. The clip just kind of sits on top of the spring and even after pulling the tabs out it didn't fit tight in the bore. We never tore into the valve body, so i suppose there could be a busted gasket or O-ring bypassing the oil to the accumulator. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The cap doesn't snap into the bore for the 2-3 accumulator. That is what caused me the biggest pain when I did mine, I played around with it forever. So it shifts from first to second, second to third, and then then third doesn't engage? I don't have any answers for that, but if you put the 2-3 accumulator back in with the spring, the cap doesn't snap in. If you do it without the spring, then it can kinda stay in by friction. I almost just left the spring out, which I should have done, for a faster 2-3 shift.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Shift solenoid, MLPS, Intermediate oneway clutch?

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

MLPS

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

We just replaced the MLPS, but same problem. The car shifts through second and then third, but won't hit 4th. It will then just rev until i hit the O/D button, it will catch back into 3rd and engage the tranny.

Anyone have any other things to check?

Thanks, Jason
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

did you guys mess with the od band when you took it apart? maybe you didnt put it back together right, seems to fairly easy to put in wrong from what i've read.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 03:47 PM
The Band, not the Disease!

Send a message via AIM to AnthraxBird
You took out the 3-4 OD servo, didnt you =P It's the biggest one above the valve body. If you take that down, it disengages the OD band, then when you put it back in, you have to re engage it yourself. After 3rd gear it feels like it goes into neutral, doesnt it =P You have to take the valve body back down, then engage the OD band. If someone has pics, that will explain it ALOT better than words. It's easy bud, no sweat. Just make sure u turn OD off, dont let it go into 4th.

1997 Mark VIII LSC - Toreador Red
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:04 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kentwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraxBird
You took out the 3-4 OD servo, didnt you =P It's the biggest one above the valve body. If you take that down, it disengages the OD band, then when you put it back in, you have to re engage it yourself. After 3rd gear it feels like it goes into neutral, doesnt it =P You have to take the valve body back down, then engage the OD band. If someone has pics, that will explain it ALOT better than words. It's easy bud, no sweat. Just make sure u turn OD off, dont let it go into 4th.

I bet $20 this is what happened

Live in Louisiana? - Check out the LA Chapter forum!
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=78
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Question..
Its hard to tell without pictures, but as far as i can tell, the OD band looks to be engaged. We just took it apart again to check a couple of things, put it back together and this is what happens. Reverse is fine, in Drive with OD Off. It goes through first and second fine, but doesn't act like it hits third. If i turn OD on it just revs. It i turn it back off, it catchs and the rpm's jump.

Question 2: Regarding the 2-3 Accumulator, must you have the retainer in the bore if you delete the spring?

Thanks for all the help!

-Jason
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96fordtbird
Question..
Its hard to tell without pictures, but as far as i can tell, the OD band looks to be engaged. We just took it apart again to check a couple of things, put it back together and this is what happens. Reverse is fine, in Drive with OD Off. It goes through first and second fine, but doesn't act like it hits third. If i turn OD on it just revs. It i turn it back off, it catchs and the rpm's jump.

Question 2: Regarding the 2-3 Accumulator, must you have the retainer in the bore if you delete the spring?

Thanks for all the help!

-Jason
yes you must have the retainer or the piston will blow out of the bore and you will neutral out in 3rd and 4th

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Tada!

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 10:12 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kentwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin
Tada!

lol

Live in Louisiana? - Check out the LA Chapter forum!
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=78

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in