4R70W/MLP issues - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

4R70W/MLP issues

My father has a 1994 Thunderbird with the 4.6L engine and 4R70W tranny. For the last couple of years he has had problems associated with a bad MLP (gear searching, etc). Thanks to this forum, I not only found that the problem was likely the MLP, but found a NAPA part # for a cheap alternative to the Ford part. During all of his problems, he never the the check engine light come on. I know that a DTC can be set without making the lamp come on, but I am pretty sure that I had hooked up my OBDII computer to his car a year or so back and there were no DTCs. Anyway, he replaced the MLP with a new one from NAPA. His shifting problems immediately went away and the transmission was working flawlessly. However the check engine light came on immediately and the DTC was "0708 MLP circuit high". We cleared the code and it came right back. I know that the MLP houses the circuits that only allow the ignition system to start the car when it is in PARK or NEUTRAL, and also to allow the backup lights to come on in REVERSE. All of these functions are working properly. What could be causing this DTC if everything is working properly? We are going to check the MLP voltages with my OBDII computer this weekend and then pull the new MLP and check the resistances between pins 2 & 3 in different lever positions. Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

Did you get the MLPS for your year car?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

I got the part number off of this forum, but I just asked the NAPA guy for the MLPS for a 1994 T-bird 4.6L 4R70W and the part numbers matched. The Ford manual keeps referring to an MLPS alignment tool. Is this really necessary? I just thought you put the car in Neutral, take the old one off and bolt the new one up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 07:22 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

I didn't use the alingment tool

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

There are a couple of lines on the MLPS that you line up when you install it. I don't have a better pic at the moment so I'll use this one. The lines are where the green arrow points.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

We pulled the new one off and the impedance was always high no matter the setting. We took it back to NAPA and got another one and it works fine and the light is off. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in