95 T0bird 4R70W Tranny dead need help - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

95 T0bird 4R70W Tranny dead need help

Hi folks: I am new here but have read all of the technical articles. The tranny tech info available here is excellent!. I have an issue. The vehicle is a 95 TBird with the 3.8. While cruising in OD the tranny died. Acted like it went into neutral and all motion stopped. There is no response in any gear, forward or reverse.

The previous owner replaced the MLPS switch and nothing changed. I bought the car with the dead tranny. I looked in the pan and the fluid and filter look fine. . I tested the EPC solenoid (I can hear it click). I did not drop the valve body. I unplugged and replugged the tranny wiring harness. The car won't budge at all, even with the back wheels off the ground in any gear. I am thinking its the pump, TC, or the EPC but is it possible that there is an issue with the electronics? I didn't run a pressure test as I dont have a gauge that reads high evnough. I assume the tranny is controlled by the engine computer for this year, correct? I want to understand what happened here, as I dont want to swap out the tranny and find out that the problem is electronic. Has anyone ever had this happen? Is the power lead to the shift solenoids on a fuse or circuit breaker?

Thanks for the help

Jim B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 11:57 AM

My guess if is if you've checked everthing it's something mechanical like a broken input or output shaft since none of the gears works. aka bad, junk transmission. Don't get your hopes up on an electrical problem.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 01:57 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
If it won't budge in any direction even sitting in neutral you can't push it I would guess the planetary gearset crapped out on you.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Saying the car won't budge kinda confuses me. Does the car roll?

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusion. By "won't budge" I mean it doesn't move under its own power in any gear. It will roll in every gear except park. Every gear except park acts like neutral.
Jim B
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Ok, I wasn't sure. LOL
Is the OD light flashing?

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

The O/D light is not flashing. Car acts the same whether or not O/D is engaged. I am thinking its the pump but want to rule out other possibilities.

In a related matter, I can get a 96 3.8 TBird tranny relatively cheap. Is it a drop in or do I need to change some electronics? I know the pan is a little different but I dont think that should matter.
Jim B
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, I am about 100% positive that your trouble isn't electrical. I was just curious if it was throwing a code.
Whatever the reason, it almost has to come down to the pump is not pumping. I was talking to Alan about it and he said it could even be in the converter. When you put it in gear does the engine even slow down to reflect that?
On the 96, that would be a decent choice and a direct drop in. Keep the pan for the 96 and just remember to get a filter for a 96. That pan and filter setup is much better and you want to use it.
If you replace or rebuild the tranny, make sure to flush the lines that connect to the tranny with a product called Kooler Kleen. Use 2 cans and flush it in both directions. You sure don't want to leave any crap in there and toast the new tranny as well.

Darrin

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks very much. Its good news that the 96 will drop in. I found a 96 tranny for about half of what a 95 was going to cost me and its at a junkyard only about 10 miles away.

The car does drop a few RPM when placed in gear, but it doesn't feel like there is any "load" on the engine at all. I have scoured the web and haven't found much info at all on these trannies losing all gears, seems more common to lose just 3 and 4. Now the next challenge is to remove the exhaust without screwing up the manifold to head pipe bolts. They look pretty rusted. I think that will probably be the hardest part of the swap.
Jim B
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Hey Jim,
I would just go to Ford and get new exhaust studs. They can be had for around $20 for the set I think. At least call and see if they have them in stock because its better safe than sorry.
Check the price and let us know how much you can get them for since it would be helpful for others to know what to expect to pay if they need them. I know what I can get them for but I have an account and get better prices.
Darrin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in