02 4r70w into 96 troubles..please help! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

02 4r70w into 96 troubles..please help!

1st of all...HEY! This is my first post here. Sorry my 1st post has to be about a problem I have. I drive a 96 Mustang GT I'll post pictures or something later if you'd like.

2nd.....this is a little lengthy but please take the time to read it and help me out. This is my daily driver and its a burden on me and my mom, brother, or girlfriend who i have get rides around and to work with now.

so...here's the problem At first my transmission had a prolonged 1st gear with a hard 1-2 shift. Then it got to the point i had to let off the gas to let it shift. then one day i lost all of but 1st and reverse with a nasty whining nose comming from the tranny (possibly converter?) But i got an 02 4r70w to swap in supposedly in perfect condition with 35,000mi. We do the swap, i re-arrange the pins in the main transmission connector like i was told here http://www.tccoa.com/articles/trann...on/page16.shtml Check out page 2 and 6 where it tells me what to do when swapping a new tranny in place of an old one. I swapped all connectors over too. We put the transmission in and kept it on the lift with the wheels off to see if it would spin. well being dumb and not looking at the specs 1st we put a quart of fluid in the converter and 6 more in the tranny. We put it in drive and no movement from the wheels. my o/d light is blinking on and off and now my check engine light is on. Reverse is the same way. And now when i put it in reverse or drive from park, 3/4 of the time the car will cutoff. Well we think maybe it doens't have enough fluid so we go look at a book at the parts store and it calls for almost 12.5 quarts. so we get the rest, and put it in. It now moves when you put it in gear but still sometimes cuts off, and runs really bad. I scanned the computer and came up with 3 codes:

0750 - Solenoid A malfunction
0755 - Solenoid B malfunction
1747 - Electronic Pressure Control solenoid short curcuit.

OH inside the trans pan of the new one when we pulled it down there was a yellow mushroom looking thing (looked like a mushroom with a inch or so stem) that looked to have a rubber O ring around it. I don't know what this is but it was just floating there and i dont' think it was suppose to be doing that. Anyone know what this is and where it goes?

So my question is, is this something in the computer/wiring that is making the codes come on, or is it actually something wrong in the tranny itself? My friend told me that i'll need a solenoid pack, input and output speed sensors and i can't remember the other thing (once again i have it written down at home). he says the speed sensors can be causing the o/d light to blink and for the car to be in "limp mode" stuck in 3rd gear. Someonw has to have done a swap like this and know EXACTLY what to do. So i hope someone can tell me what's going on and what they did when they did the swap. I dont know if i need to buy the parts for the 02, or if they're even really bad and its not something with the connection/wiring, or if i need to just rebuild the not so strong factory 96gt tranny. I don't have a ton of money so right now a Performance auto, or 5spd swap isn't an option.

I was told that i may need a Solenoid pack and gasket, and i guess solenoid A and B are in that, Input and Output speed sensors, and governor pressure switch transducer. then again it could be something as little as a switch or something like that. I really hope someone can help. Like i said this is my daily driver and I really need this thing back on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

You have the harness wired wrong. Go to this link and find the right way to do it. http://forums.modulardepot.com/showt...threadid=31261

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 12:08 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Darrin is right there is an error in the article you used. The mushroom is just the plug the factory uses until the dipstick is inserted for the first time and can be thrown out

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, look really close at my avatar pic. You will see your "mushroom"
Its so common a worry for people that I made that avatar. LOL

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 01:32 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Hahahaha I never noticed that in the photo.

That ROCKS

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

HAHA that's it! that's too funny. Ok this is a noob question which one of those is the one that I need to have the pins like? is the top left what it use to look like and the bottom left what it needs to look like now? Like i said sorry for such a noob question and this is how its gonna look from behind the connector not looking into it right? Just making sure i get it clear so i can get it done

oh and i found out the running bad and the stalling is because of my converter locking up. So I've got to get a new converter, and re-arrange the pins to the new layout.

You have no idea how much i appreciate your help. This is the only place that have been able to help me.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

turns out that the converter may not actually be bad. If the wiring is wrong then it could be causing the converter to lock up. well thats what i was told.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 07:35 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldhorse0705
is the top left what it use to look like and the bottom left what it needs to look like now?
You got it

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

cool man! i really hope it works and nothing else is wrong lol. If so you guys are a life saver! I was bummed when it didn't work the 1st time and saw all that might be wrong with it. We're puttin it back on the lift tonight to try to see if this will do it
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I think that should do it. If not come on back and we can all try again.
Darrin

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

definately. Is there anything i missed? i've switched over everything from the old trans to the new, and gonna re-do the pins tonight, it's got new fluid, new filter, and no yellow mushroom thing in the pan. Anything i skipped?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I think thats it. Let us know

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

will do, keep an eye out for this thread to pop up or something similar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in