My 4r70w install into the 96 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

My 4r70w install into the 96

Well after all the trouble we went through, installing and it not running only to find out that it was wired wrong, we finally got it running about 80 to 90% now. I still have a few little bugs in it though so darrin and anyone else who might be able to help i'd really appreciate it.

problem 1: sometimes when i go from park or neutral to reverse or drive the RPM's get really low as if it wants to cut off and sometimes it does. (it didn't do it this morning)

Problem 2: Say i'm driving at 45 and i put it in neutral, if i put it back in drive it stays in neutral and i have to put it in 2nd gear for it to get in gear then back to drive.

Problem 3: I think when it's been sitting (like this morning) it didn't seem to want to come out of 1st gear. i put it in 2nd and it shifted, but everytime after that at any stop lights it did fine

Problem 4: Sometimes i think in the 2-3 shift it might be in the 3-4 shift can't remember, if i'm set at one speed and it shifts the RPMs go up a little before it goes into the next gear

Problem 5 LAST ONE: For some reason i can feel a constant vibration and noise comming from the tranny if i put my foot into it. I haven't done it much, but a couple times to make sure it will shift with a big load on it. Its just a noise that seems to be comming from the tranny and i can feel the vibration.

I'm gonna check the fluid again today after its been sitting for a while. we checked it last night but its hard to do when you just put fluid in it. Maybe its low and that could solve most of my problems if not all of 'em. I'll probably take it to a tranny shop to have it scanned later on to make sure everything is ok, but didn't know if there was anything that I need to do to solve the problems I mentioned above. I'm still wondering if the converter is bad though, thats why i want to get it scanned.

OH i do have one more problem about the pinup. Yesterday we wired everything up back to the way it was originally. But the pinup didn't match what my connector looked like. It said that it was looking behind the connector instead of inside it wasn't possible to look like that. When we went back to the way it was it matched that new pinup by looking into the connector, not behind it. Originally pin4 was an empty spot and was covered by the blue thing (IE:no hole there). Do you have to make a hole in it and put that pin in the number 5 spot?

Once again, thanks for all the help getting my car back on the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 06:04 AM
3rd Gear Poster

It still seems to wired wrong. Follow this schematic !!! These are looking INTO the connector.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

I think thats the way we have it. If you look at pin 4, its empty. On my wiring the blue rubber thing covers up that hole. there is no hole in the rubber thing, but on the 2nd diagram (bottom) there is suppose to be a pin there and not one in pin 1. So what i did was made a hole where pin 4 is and put the power wire there.

I think what i'll do is when i get home i'll post up where i started off and what colors are where, and where the colors are now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

we wired it first to the old style that turned out to be wrong (the pinup in the article) then i was told to go by the new pin up (the one that you just posted) and at first it said it was looking from the back of the connector but it couldn't be because it matched up to the inside of the connector and if i looked at the back they were swapped around. So we wired it back to the original way (we had already wrote down the colors of what pins went where) then took that and wired it to the new pin up.

this is how we started (factory)

Pin1: Orange/yellow
Pin2: Red
Pin3: Grey/orange
Pin4: N/A (blue thing covered hole)
Pin5: Orange/black
Pin6: Purple/Orange
Pin7: Red
Pin8: Red
Pin9: Grey/red
Pin10: Yellow

we ended up with this (new pin up)

Pin1: N/A (there's a hole there but no pin in it)
Pin2: Grey/red
Pin3: Grey/Orange
Pin4: Red (had to make a hole in the blue thing so the red could go there)
Pin5: Orange/black
Pin6: yellow
Pin7: Orange/yellow
Pin8: Purple/orange
Pin9: N/A (hole there but no pin)
Pin10: N/A (hole there but no pin.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

All of the information you need is in this thread. http://forums.modulardepot.com/showt...threadid=31261
There is a TON of information in there. He has a shot of the back of the connector with the wire colors so you can compare and he tells you what to do with that missing pin hole.
What you have to do is get that connector you have looking exactly like the one he is showing you. If you don't have all of the wires in the proper places then it isn't going to work. The best way to do it is to pull the harness out of the car and take it with you in front of the computer to do the work.
When I build transmissions for people this is why I often suggest that I use the wiring harness in the trans instead of the new stuff. This repinning can get tricky sometimes and you have to have every wire in exactly the place it goes since this is an electronic transmission.
Just take your time and make it look 100% like the one he has pictured and your problems will go straight away. The whole problem is right there.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

I'll have to double check again. So far it looks like thats the way it is but maybe its not. But thanks man you've helped out alot
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

My above post may be wrong. I just took more time to read what you said you have and compare it. It sounds like you have it right if I am reading you correctly. A pic would help a ton if you could get one.
If you have it wired that way by looking into the connector then you have it wired right. Make sure the pics look like what you have and make sure all of the pins are seated fully. I have had a problem before caused by a pin pushing out when it was plugged in.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

i'll have to check into that. Could it cause a problem maybe being dirty somehow? I'll have to check it and make sure that everything is 100% and all the pins are inplace and i'll have to take some pictures as well.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 06:48 AM

I'm also swapping a later 4r70w into my car and I tried to view the pics on that thread. It seems they have expired. Anyone here have a copy of them?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Give it a little bit and I bet they come back. Those pics are great and have helped too many for them to stay gone long. If they don't pop back up, I will do a writeup and take some pics for our site.
Darrin

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

I've been requested by some people to do a write up as well. But i'm going to wait until i can have the transmission scanned and looked over to be sure that everything is 100% Someone needs to change the original write up since the pin up was wrong that way someone doesn't make the mistake i did

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in