98 4r70w - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

98 4r70w

my trans is shot, will a 1998 4R70W out of a mustang GT work on my car? if so what do i have to change, or is it a bolt over setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
yes it will. You need to swap over some small parts, but it will fit. Its got the good parts also.....do an el searcho... the tech articles have everything you need to know

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

99+ has a better valve body.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

its a 98 GT trans, what little parts do i need to swap? and what should i do a search for? and if the tailshafts are two different lengths, can i use my tailshaft on that transmission?

Last edited by 94V8Thunderbird; 01-28-2006 at 03:16 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

You need to swap the manual lever on the side of the transmission from yours to the new tranny. Then you need to repin the harness in your car to work with the newer style electronics, and get the proper TCC solenoid for your car. You will also need to get a speedometer gear that will correct for the 8 tooth VSS drive gear on the output shaft. You car has a 7 tooth drive gear and the speedometer will be off with that transmission and your gear.
I think thats all. I have been in computer hell with upgrades and moving my computer. So if I forgot anything, I am sure someone else will chime in.
Good luck with it
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGA-...QQcmdZViewItem

you guys think this is a good trans for my car for the price?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I think that transmission is a crock of crap. A stock unit is better. Modified OD my butt, 4 plate intermediate instead of 3...not in a 4r70w they had 4 anyway. Gaybestos frictions...I'd rather have the real high carbon (dynax) ford frictions than that crap.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:53 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
I think that transmission is a crock of crap. A stock unit is better. Modified OD my butt, 4 plate intermediate instead of 3...not in a 4r70w they had 4 anyway. Gaybestos frictions...I'd rather have the real high carbon (dynax) ford frictions than that crap.
Alan
Allison had big problems with their HD B400 & B500 fleet transmissions. Initially built using raybestos clucthes, they later switches to dynax. Unless the raybestos units were serviced at 1/4 of the intervals spec'd by warranty, they all failed. These trans' use a control strategy that compensates for clutch wear. The ECM initiates the shifts earler and earlier as the clutches wear so until you get to the point where you literally have no clutches left, the trans performs normally with no sign of anything wrong. Allison sold these units to a multitude of over the road trucks and buses and this has been a very big warranty issue costing customers many thousands of dollars per unit. Working for the NYC transit authority and with the large number - 4000 or so units in service, we had enough leverage to force Allison to give us their software that allows you to see how much the ECM is compensating for clutch wear. This is essentially an electronic model of current clutch condition. We use this to monitor our units and before thry fail, we send them to Allison where they upgrade the units to dynax. This is done under warranty and is done for no one else. Other transit outfits throughout the country have asked us for this software, but legally we cannot give this out. Everyone has had problems with these units.

Err, excuse me for the diversion...

Mitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in