95 AODE in a turbocharged 5.0, 4r70w upgrade path. Questions, need realistic advice. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

95 AODE in a turbocharged 5.0, 4r70w upgrade path. Questions, need realistic advice.

I have a 1995 Mustang street/strip car that I've turbo charged with an AODE. I've been running it for a couple years with a Baumann shift kit and a PI converter. It dyno's at 450 hp and 480 tq at 11.50 in the 1/4 mile and I believe that the tranny is slipping/holding me back. I use a Tweecer RT to tune.

I'd appreciate it if some of you tranny guys can help me decide some things. Yes, I have read all the tech articles about 4r70w etc... as I've been contemplating this for a while.

My goal is to launch on a transbrake and run mid 10's. I'd like to keep the overdrive/lockup. My goal is to stay under $2000 with me rebuilding the tranny with a manual VB and Tbrake with rebuilding my PI converter. If it is going to cost me more than $2000 in additional expense, then I'll just go with a C4 and sell my converter.

>Can I rebuild this AODE myself + buy a manual tranbrake VB + rebuild my PI converter (probably a couple hundred) for under 2K?
>Can I rebuild my AODE with some additional guts from a a 2002'ish 4r70w and have something that will last?
>Can a full manual VB be run on the street and not cause the tranny to wear out due to fixed line pressure?
>If I can't find/afford the best 4r70w for the rebuild and can only afford a 3.8 one, is it even worth doing? just forget it and go to c4?
>Is the Lentech manual VB with Tbrake worth $729 or should I go with the cheaper PA VB with Tbrake?
>Does anyone sell an AODE/4r70w that would hold up for around $1200 outright?

I know that to have a bullet proof tranny, it costs more than what I'm willing to spend, but my stocker AODE has been holding up OK. I don't need the best of everything, I need what will achieve my goal within my budget. I can't believe a VB can cost $729, is there any other good transbrake manual VB out there that will work?

Thanks for the advice.
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

you are looking at roughly $350 to rebuild that TC... i think the transbrakes are at LEAST $500

as far as a 4r70w for 1200? not anymore.. because of increasing costs of parts, you are looking at a minimum of 1600-1800 for a full rebuild to Jerry's specs, and thats STILL not the "best".. it should be the same for the 3.8/5.0 or the 4.6 bellhousing setup.

how much you want for the PI converter? is it a multi or single disc?

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

If I was to pick up a 2002 or so 3.8 4r70w for like $500 shipped to my door, you don't think I could buy the parts to beef it up for another $500 to handle mid to low 10's? (if I do it myself) Throw in a $700 VB and a $350 converter rebuild, that totals $2050.

The converter is a triple disk, I don't think it needs a rebuild, but I'd want to be safe. I'd want it setup to lockup on a switch. I'd also want to have full manual control over the tranny when I wanted to.

Got to live within my means here, only other alternative is to put a C4 in it, or save for yet another year, and by then something else will happen that will suck away all my money (like Katrina)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

considering what i just spent on my mild 4r70w after providing a core and NOT replacing the VB.. good luck clutches and steels just went up with the price change, you are gonna want the updated sungear set, thats over $120 just by itself... you are lookin at a minimum of $800 in parts i think

that puts you around $23-2400

get the tc redone.. do a search here on or modulardepot for some pictures of what the clutch material looks like on a PI.. especially if you are thinking of running sub 12s

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesD
as far as a 4r70w for 1200? not anymore.. because of increasing costs of parts, you are looking at a minimum of 1600-1800 for a full rebuild to Jerry's specs
, and thats STILL not the "best".. it should be the same for the 3.8/5.0 or the 4.6 bellhousing setup.

how much you want for the PI converter? is it a multi or single disc?
increase in parts cost...when, why? I thought that 4R70W parts and crap were going DOWN in price due to thier abundance. It is hard and expensive to find the OLD conversion parts, but what the hell? Tell me more if you know?

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

I should be receiving a 2003 3.8 v6 4r70w with 9K miles Tuesday. Got it shipped for $280. Going to add an output shaft with speedo teeth on it and some extra clutches, hopefully since those are stock parts they will be pretty cheap.

$250-$450 for rebuild of my converter
$720 for an overpriced manual VB with TBrake

comes to around $1500.

Just am having a hard time deciding now on the VB. PA has a new one (have to call them about it) now for about $700, but it requires a deep pan ($160, yet another overpriced doodad). Lentech cost $720 no deep pan required. Getting worried about going full manual and fixed line pressure. This is not my daily driver, but I do want it to last a while. I'm afraid that getting the tranny to shift right with the wide gear set will be a pain with my tweecer also. So the manual VB still sounds like the right choice, but I'm still wondering, I can get a PA auto VB with brake for $400 used, but I passed on it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Veteran Poster

manual VB are just that - manaul....IMHO they are too harsh and annoying to use in a daily driver....even if you are being carfull, it will spill your Sonic Rout 44 every shift.

The VB is the biggest part of how the trans is tailored to your driving. If you see street use mostly - you might invest in some more research in more contemporary shift mods to the AUTO system instead of making it into a MANUAL trans with a converter

Like using the Baumann Controler for $400 instead of that overrpiced VB. I have not heard any complaints about the TCS.

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox
Like using the Baumann Controler for $400 instead of that overrpiced VB. I have not heard any complaints about the TCS.
If you search you'll find plenty of complaints.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

If I was guaranteed that I could use a Tweecer to get it to shift (and lockup) right, I'd use the auto valvebody with a transbrake. The only person I know that said it could be done and did it was Hounddog on the Tweecer forums and he totalled his car and doesn't have the files anymore.

I don't want to do the Bauman controller for various reasons. I don't want to have a chip burnt to control my engine and tranny, because I like to tune my own stuff, and don't want to pay to get it tuned every time I make a change.

Biggest fear is that I'll spend $400 on an auto VB that won't shift right because the Tweecer won't control it correctly with that wide gear set in it. One guy says it can be done, yet another says it can't. Confusing, I know exactly what will happen with the manual VB, it does exactly what I tell it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl340
Confusing, I know exactly what will happen with the manual VB, it does exactly what I tell it.
You can't tell a lie

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in