My Rebuilt 4r70w Revved...no go (only 4k miles on it)..!!?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

My Rebuilt 4r70w Revved...no go (only 4k miles on it)..!!??

Hey guys how's it going... Well months back, nov 05 my tranny blew and i got it replaced with another 4r70w which was rebuilt. I have a 12k/1yr warranty..whichever comes first warranty. Today i was driving and i took a 90 degree right turn onto a street and gave it gas. I see and hear the engine rev to almost 5k...yet i was only going 5mph and the tires weren't spinning. At first i thought maybe i just burned out cause i was listening to tunes...but i didn't. I do have a tendancy to punch it from a stop or when making a turn just to get moving...only this time it was like the engine lost 1st gear or something.

I was driving like i always do, O/D off and traction control off. After that i drove her around a bit and got on it to make sure nothing was wrong...no other symptoms. I just hope the tranny isn't starting to mess up its clutches or whatever already. Yes i do have a warranty, but jeez i don't wanna be without her for another 3-5 days..which is how long i waited last time.

Any thoughts on why it did this..?

PS forgot to add a couple times in the snow i used 1st gear, and 2nd gear to get moving-like keeping the shifter in 1..or 2...maybe i fouled the tranny some..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Install the 96 up pan and filter and make sure the unit is full.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Could the fluid be why this happened..maybe it sloshed to one side when i made my right turn...???

I just spoke to my friend that works at Midas, he's pretty knowledgeable (alright alittle lol) and he mentioned something about the fluid. He did also say that usually a rebuilt tranny could be floored day in day out and still deal with it, that's why he thinks nothing is really wrong. With warranty's he said company's usually try and fix the tranny so the person doesn't have to come back...i hope he's right lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 03:03 PM
PostWhore

the earlier model trannies(94-95) had problems going dry on right hand turns, installing a deep sump pan from a 96-97 car helps alleviate this.

2007 White Ford Focus SE ZX3 Hatchback (The new driver)
1997 Alpine Green 4.6L Bird (SOLD!)

Mods:
Removed Air silencer, Clear Corners, Silverstar headlights and corner lights, Moroso Bluemax Spiral Core wires, Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" Y-Pipe, 300-450 HP J-mod Kit by dirtyd0g , Hayden 30k GVWR Trans Cooler, Sport Front Suspension, 03-04 Cobra Rear Shocks, PBR Front Brake Swap, Xcal 2 by Lonnie @ Blueovalchips.com, 22C plugs, 180F T-stat, 02GT MAF/Airbox with K&N Drop in, Griffin Radiator, Cobra Water Pump
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

ok, so you guys don't think it's like the clutch pack or whatever that wears and causes 1st gear to slip..?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

No, not the clutches. Install the 96-97 pan, check fluid level by shifting thru all the gears then idling in park, with trans warm and on a level surface.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 09:56 PM
PostWhore

Cool

Check the fluid level, make sure it's correct. Check to see if you have a broken motor mount. This happened to me, when I would hit it hard from a stand still, or make a hard right hand turn, sometimes it would flare up like it popped out of gear. I come to find out it had a broken motor mount and was causing a shift in the driveline. Also, there was a problem with the range sensor on the side of the trans.. Was it replaced? There is an upgraded sensor because of this problem. I hope this helps a little. Take care!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in