1998 4r70w V6 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

1998 4r70w V6

Hi everyone. I'm new. I was referred to this site from V6 power for the bullit proof 4r70W. I have read the tech article over and over and have a few Q's. I have a 98 Mustang V6, I know the car isn't a T-Bird but we have the sames Trans. I will be Doing a turbo and need a good strong trans. Bullet proof is even better. I was going to the rebuilt myself but saw it to be more than I can handle. My cousin has a race shop and referred me to a trans shop that he uses and the guy said he would build my trans using the methods in the tech article if I could bring them to him. SSL. The article seems to leave out 98 in some areas. I would like to know the proper method to build for 300hp+ If any of you have done a 98 and could help I would be very grateful. Also is it OK for me to refere the article to the trans shop? It seems like it might be only for the DIY'ers and wants to be kept hush.. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have a group purchase in the group purchase forum for a fully built version of the transmission in that article.
See it here http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=62409&page=3

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin
I have a group purchase in the group purchase forum for a fully built version of the transmission in that article.
See it here http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=62409&page=3

Darrin
Could you give me more info on fully built. And core cost and shipping to SD CA. I would prefere to have it locally done and am willing to pay for details to do it right. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Man, it involves some really trick machining to fit the extra clutch plates and doing it right to make it actually work is not just a transmission build by a long shot. You have to have the proper machine tools to modify things and then even actually make some stuff. This is well beyond the scope of a regular transmission shop. On top of that, the article isn't complete or exactly 100%.
There are damn few of us who have taken this on. I spent so much money in tools to make one that I had to make a business out of it. My investment is HUGE as anyone that has seen my place will tell you. Because those of us who can do it have so much invested in it and every one of us that does it has our own different methods that we had to come up with on our own to make it work, I know that the details cant be bought. Every one of us that has done it has gotten there on our own as far as I know. The first time I took one apart and measured everything I said there was no way to do it properly. I took a lot of time and tore up a lot of scrap stuff but I found a way that I am confident in and thats a hard thing to do.
People just don't understand what all is involved in what I do to these transmissions. I spend far more time making modifications to the components than I do rebuilding the tranny. The rebuild is the easy part. Anybody could actually do that part of it.
Mine are as fully built as you can make them from that article with my own custom modifications added. The basic details are in the group purchase info.
Core cost is $200 and shipping should be about the same or a little more.
When I say fully built, I mean it is fully built. No shortcuts are taken and there is no cheating by using the skinny little aftermarket clutches that burn up.
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin
Man, it involves some really trick machining to fit the extra clutch plates and doing it right to make it actually work is not just a transmission build by a long shot. You have to have the proper machine tools to modify things and then even actually make some stuff. This is well beyond the scope of a regular transmission shop. On top of that, the article isn't complete or exactly 100%.
There are damn few of us who have taken this on. I spent so much money in tools to make one that I had to make a business out of it. My investment is HUGE as anyone that has seen my place will tell you. Because those of us who can do it have so much invested in it and every one of us that does it has our own different methods that we had to come up with on our own to make it work, I know that the details cant be bought. Every one of us that has done it has gotten there on our own as far as I know. The first time I took one apart and measured everything I said there was no way to do it properly. I took a lot of time and tore up a lot of scrap stuff but I found a way that I am confident in and thats a hard thing to do.
People just don't understand what all is involved in what I do to these transmissions. I spend far more time making modifications to the components than I do rebuilding the tranny. The rebuild is the easy part. Anybody could actually do that part of it.
Mine are as fully built as you can make them from that article with my own custom modifications added. The basic details are in the group purchase info.
Core cost is $200 and shipping should be about the same or a little more.
When I say fully built, I mean it is fully built. No shortcuts are taken and there is no cheating by using the skinny little aftermarket clutches that burn up.
Darrin
Dude, I can appreciate your response. For a fully built trans I am sure there is quite a bit that can't be bought. I am only looking to do the 300 HP build and shift kit. From what I've read in the article no special machining is required for this. It seems that all the parts are Ford with the exception of the teflon seals. The part that I am really interested in is the shift kit. I can't seem to find the specs for the 98. Also a fully built trans in a low power car will cause problems to the drivetrain. I was hoping to get help from someone on this board as it it the place where the article lives. The J-Mod is supposed to be cheap and the the best. After Core and shipping your trans is more than I was planninng on spending. If there is a warrantee issue the cost to ship it back to you and back to me would be redickulous. I would prefere to have the work done locally and I have a reputable trans shop. Not one of the hacks I have read about on here and elsewhere. Help me out Darrin. I need to get my car running. Thanks. Or anyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in