Any 4x4 Tranny Information out there? 4R70W - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Any 4x4 Tranny Information out there? 4R70W

Hello to all, this is my first post, and I can understand if I don't get much help, but thought I would try anyway.

I am building a 1972 Bronco, and have decided to go with the 4R70W transmission. In my search for help building a bullet proof transmission, I was directed toward this sight. I must say there is a wealth of information here, and I have read through the tech articles a couple of times. So, now I am not sure of a couple of things, because most of what I have read is based on building a 2wd transmission... ok, here we go if you can:

I currently have a 1997 4R70W from a Ford Explorer. To update it, I am wanting to get the following parts:

Output shaft
Planetary & Sungear from 5.4L
Reverse Clutch Cylinder assembly
Stub Shaft
Valve Body

My questions are as follows,

1. Will the output shaft from a 1998 or newer car work with the 4x4 tranny?
2. If I can get all the parts from a newer 5.4L, will that take care of the Reverse Clutch, Stub Shaft, and valve body?
3. Is there a particular valve body that I am looking for, or just any of them from 1999 or up?
4. I have seen a post here that suggests there was another stub shaft change after 1998, like around 2003? What year do I get the stub shaft from?
5. Is there a do it all donor tranny to look for? or is there a cheaper place to get parts for these?

Thanks for your patience and help if you can...

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
how do you plan on mating the 5.4L tranmission to the 302? You would be better off getting a 5.0L exploder 4R70W.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina
how do you plan on mating the 5.4L tranmission to the 302? You would be better off getting a 5.0L exploder 4R70W.
I am going to use the transmission I got from the Explorer.. I just want to upgrade it so it is bulletproof...

DD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebosDave'72
I am going to use the transmission I got from the Explorer.. I just want to upgrade it so it is bulletproof...

DD
I think he was trying to point out that if the transmission is from a 4.6L Explorer, the bellhousing bolt pattern won't match your 302. If your 4R70W is from a 5.0L Explorer, you're good to go. Sorry, no tranny tech to offer; that's not my balliwick.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey
I think he was trying to point out that if the transmission is from a 4.6L Explorer, the bellhousing bolt pattern won't match your 302. If your 4R70W is from a 5.0L Explorer, you're good to go. Sorry, no tranny tech to offer; that's not my balliwick.
Sorry, I am aware of the bellhousing differences, My tranny is out of a 5.0L explorer... I am going to be using the 5.0L block too... hope to stroke it out to 331, but if not, that roller block will still be a vast improvement on mine...

Thanks,

DD
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:

DD

oopsy doosey.......i read the 5.4 part........dar!

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Like Titles Matter

You can't use a car output shaft, it will need to be a 4x4 output shaft. As for all of the 5.4 parts like the planetary, it is usually cheaper to buy a 5.4 core transmission. Of course these came in 4x4 also, so that takes care of the output shaft. I would just start with a 5.4 4x4 trans, and put a valve body from a car trans in it, which can even be from a cheap V6 trans -- I usually buy a whole V6 trans for $100 or less. IN your case you could use the case from the V6 trans also, and not even have to end up using a thing from that old 97 trans you have now.

1996 Thunderbird LX- [email protected] NA
1998 GT - [email protected]
2001 Lightning - [email protected]
1996 GT 248A - [email protected]?
2011 GT - [email protected] 180 MPH at the Texas Mile

generated by sloganizer.net
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanner
You can't use a car output shaft, it will need to be a 4x4 output shaft. As for all of the 5.4 parts like the planetary, it is usually cheaper to buy a 5.4 core transmission. Of course these came in 4x4 also, so that takes care of the output shaft. I would just start with a 5.4 4x4 trans, and put a valve body from a car trans in it, which can even be from a cheap V6 trans -- I usually buy a whole V6 trans for $100 or less. IN your case you could use the case from the V6 trans also, and not even have to end up using a thing from that old 97 trans you have now.
Does the valve body need to come from a car? Or does it just need to be from a 1999 or newer? Thanks so much!

Dave
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Like Titles Matter

Quote:
Does the valve body need to come from a car? Or does it just need to be from a 1999 or newer? Thanks so much!

Dave

You'll want a car valve body, the seperator plate has some different holes than the truck ones, they tend to shift extremely hard if you drill that plate and try to use the truck VB.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You'll want a car valve body, the seperator plate has some different holes than the truck ones, they tend to shift extremely hard if you drill that plate and try to use the truck VB.
Does this apply if I don't do a JMod? Or will it matter both ways?

Thanks for your help!!

Dave
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Like Titles Matter

Quote:
Does this apply if I don't do a JMod? Or will it matter both ways?

Thanks for your help!!

Dave

No if you leave the valve body alone that doesn't apply. But what fun is that?

1996 Thunderbird LX- [email protected] NA
1998 GT - [email protected]
2001 Lightning - [email protected]
1996 GT 248A - [email protected]?
2011 GT - [email protected] 180 MPH at the Texas Mile

generated by sloganizer.net
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Exactly.
I have some 4x4 stuff laying around. I have the output shaft and an extension housing if you need them.
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I am not sure if I feel confident enough to do the Jmod to the valve body, I guess when I get it all torn down, I will determine my confidence level at that time, SO... I guess I will pickup the car unit...

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it!!

Darrin,

I think I have one on the way, but if not, I will let you know, what do you want for the output shaft? I think my extension housing will work just fine.

Thans so much for all the input... it is a little intimidating, but I would really like to do this myself, and do it right.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in