4R70W/AODE Tailshaft - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

4R70W/AODE Tailshaft

My 1995 AODE in my 3.8 NA mustang failed to see the humor in the extra torque provided by the addition of a M90. So I found a cost effective 4R70W replacement from a 1994 SC. I know that a 1994 4R70W is not the best choice, but it was recently Ford reman and has new accumulators and a mech diode. My problem is when trying to remove Tbird transmission mount bracket from the tailshaft the bolts are siezed and I broke 4 sockets with my 1/2 impact trying to remove them. I was wondering if the 1995 AODE tailshaft housing and the 1994 4R70W tailshaft housing will interchange. I heard something about different sized bushings between the tailshafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

They are different sizes and do not interchange.
The bigger issue you will have is what will end up happening to the transmission unless you get the computer in the car tuned to tell it that you changed to a transmission with different gear ratios.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin
They are different sizes and do not interchange.
The bigger issue you will have is what will end up happening to the transmission unless you get the computer in the car tuned to tell it that you changed to a transmission with different gear ratios.

I have talked to my tuner about getting an updated tune for my Xcal2. I guess I need to get those bolts out of the 4R70W or find a different tailshaft. Also is slip yoke on the drive shaft different too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yes, the yoke is different too. If you get a yoke from a 96 or newer Mustang it will work with the tailshaft housing you have on the 4r70w.
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin
Yes, the yoke is different too. If you get a yoke from a 96 or newer Mustang it will work with the tailshaft housing you have on the 4r70w.
Darrin

So the only reason a 4R70W tailshaft extension has a large bushing is to accomadate a larger slip yoke.

Other than that they are the same?

With that said I should be able to put the tailshaft extension from my AODE on the 4R70W and use the slip yoke that was used with my AODE.

Last edited by Roadhawg; 05-03-2006 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in