4R70W erratic 1-2 shift - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Question 4R70W erratic 1-2 shift

Sorry if this question has been answered already, but here goes. My 1997 Cougar (62000 miles) has a 4R70W which shifts normally except for 1-2 which is erratic. When shifting at part throttle it seems to go into and out of gear several times and then finally goes into second and stays there. AT WOT, the transmission shifts normal at every gear change, although a bit soft .

Installed the transgo SK-AODE shiftkit and planned to upgrade the accumulator at that time. But, the accumulator had already been upgraded, so I reinstalled the old accumulator after inspecting it for wear.

Sad to say ... the 1-2 shift is still erratic.

Before I attempt to fix it again, is it possible that the valve body is shot and replacing the accumulator won't help? Or, should I just replace the accumulator and expect that to do the job? I noticed that Sonnax has a repair kit that installs a sleeve in the accumulator cylinder. Is that worth the effort?

Thanks ... your neighbor, ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

From what I've learned, mistake #1 was installing a trans-go kit. I think you might be hosed right there. Is there any way to remove the "kit" and return the VB back to stock to see if the issue goes away, or did you drill the sep. plate for that kit? I'm only familiar w/ the j-mod since it seems to be the only shift modifier that works w/ the 4R.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Smile 4r70w

Thanks for your help neighbor. Other web sites recommended both the Transgo and the Baumanator. Plus ... I have installed the Transgo in about 4 vehicles so far and never encountered a problem. This thing with the 1-2 accumulator may be the valve body itself and nothing to do with the Transgo. I found a factory sticker on the side of the transmission that said the TSB had been installed, so that verified what I thought earlier.

Also ... Sonnax tells me that the valve body is most likely worn so bad that replacing the accumulator piston won't be enough. They say .... either replace the valve body or install their repair kit.

Perhaps a low mileage used transmission is the way to go. I don't want or need a race quality unit. I just need dependable transportation and need to avoid putting the transmission guy' s kids through college.

thanks again for your thoughts .... ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

you probably broke your 1-2 accumulator piston spring. remove and replace. While the transgo isn't the best option, it shouldn't be the cause of the is problem.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird
While the transgo isn't the best option, it shouldn't be the cause of the is problem.
Ah, obviously you haven't seen what I have seen as often as I have seen it. LOL

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in