TCCoA Forums banner

1992 5.0 aod rebuild or replace?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  RalphP 
#1 ·
Where the best deals on a rebuilt transmission or getting a kit to rebuild my transmission. I dont have a whole lot to throw at it.

#2 ·
A little background, got the car for 300, never had 4th gear, dumped lucas trans fix in there and started shifting really good. Fixed the cable but that didnt help. Drove it locally for almost 3 years and trans is finally going out. It whines now so im guessing the pump is running dry. Ive never rebuilt a trans but im definately up to it. Anyways ive sunk atleast 2k into the car now, new tires brakes rotors. Brand new front end except the rack. New plugs wires, belt, 200amp alternator, water pump, electric fan etc. So I have some time and money into it and i dont want to give up at this point. I noticed rebuild kits for 200-1100 and monster trans has a trans for 1600. Do you think it could be fixed with the 400 dollar rebuild kit?

#3 ·
Grab the factory service manual (used paper off Ebay; new electronic from Helm Inc.) and study up on it.

Also, I'd consider the rebuild videos from Bad Shoe Production (amongst others!) on YouTube and other sources (such as https://vimeo.com/ondemand/29891 ).

The videos were enough to convince me to NOT redo my own AOD; instead, I'm upgrading to a Mustang GT 94/95 ECU (94 in my case!) and a 4R70W out of a later V6 Mustang (2002 or so at latest) for my 1991 5.0HO.

(That was after watching both Bad Shoe's video and Transmission Bench's video, plus reading through the 1994 or later FSM on disk. YMMV natch.)

RwP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.