Flywheel for swap - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ROLLINTHUNDER
  • 1 Post By S4gunn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Flywheel for swap

Didn’t know if this would be better for drivetrain section or engine. Recently did a 347 build. Had it running in car with the M5r2 trans. Used a stock 95 f150 flywheel that the engine builder SAID he rebalanced it to 28oz to match the stroker kit. I see where he did drill holes in certain areas of the flywheel but some suggest to just buy one that is already 28oz balanced. The motor did have a vibrating shake to it. Anyone know the best place to get one or have a part number for it?? Thanks guys!

Eibach pro kit springs w/rear cobra bilstiens, rear disc conversion, 2000 Cobra R wheels, 89 SC track-lock swap w/mark 8 cv shafts, 89 front and rear sway bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLINTHUNDER View Post
Didnt know if this would be better for drivetrain section or engine. Recently did a 347 build. Had it running in car with the M5r2 trans. Used a stock 95 f150 flywheel that the engine builder SAID he rebalanced it to 28oz to match the stroker kit. I see where he did drill holes in certain areas of the flywheel but some suggest to just buy one that is already 28oz balanced. The motor did have a vibrating shake to it. Anyone know the best place to get one or have a part number for it?? Thanks guys!
OK, first thing is first. If you are using a 347 then it's based on a 302 and if he used a crank based on a 302 from the 80's through the 90's then it's a 50oz. imbalance, not a 28oz. This is very important because that shake is probably an indication of the wrong flywheel.

Get that straightened out before you worry about getting another flywheel. If you aren't sure what crank you have then I would check that out. Drilling holes in a flywheel to get you there sounds pretty hack.

Once you do, I'm running a Fidanza lightweight flywheel that I have the part number for that will help you. The bright side is that those flywheels can be 0 balance, 28 or 50oz.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Thanks Madd. I was hoping you’d chime in. I first sent him a 50oz balancer at the beginning of the build. He called back and said the company he got the kit from said it was a 28oz and not a 50oz. The motor is 95 mustang based. He gets his kits from a company called Liberty Performance out of Louisville Ky. I may call them and see if they have a record of it. That flywheel you are using sounds like a winner. If you have the part number I’d appreciate that. Thanks bud!
MaddMartigan likes this.

Eibach pro kit springs w/rear cobra bilstiens, rear disc conversion, 2000 Cobra R wheels, 89 SC track-lock swap w/mark 8 cv shafts, 89 front and rear sway bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMartigan View Post
OK, first thing is first. If you are using a 347 then it's based on a 302 and if he used a crank based on a 302 from the 80's through the 90's then it's a 50oz. imbalance, not a 28oz. This is very important because that shake is probably an indication of the wrong flywheel.

Get that straightened out before you worry about getting another flywheel. If you aren't sure what crank you have then I would check that out. Drilling holes in a flywheel to get you there sounds pretty hack.

Once you do, I'm running a Fidanza lightweight flywheel that I have the part number for that will help you. The bright side is that those flywheels can be 0 balance, 28 or 50oz.
Randy:
They make 28oz imbalanced cranks just like they make 0oz internally balanced cranks so it's not a given what he has/needs

"Almost all 347 stroker kits are 28oz imbalance"
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...balancing.html

It seems to hold true of my random sampling of all 68 347 stroker kits available on summit
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ement/5-7l-347

CNC motorsports seems to have 10 internally balanced 347 kits and 14 balanced to 28oz
https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/engi...s/internal-yes

It seems like Liberty Perf has 3 cranks for a 302 online.
347 kits can be either 3.25 or 3.4" stroke depending on the pistons (dish or dome) so it can be either one of these. All 3 are internally balanced.
http://www.libertyperformance.com/pr...d.php?tags=526

Q: So, what did your builder do?
Q: Is your crank actually internally balanced (which is arguably the best for higher RPM - it's probably what i'd go with if I ever had another project car and a 302) and you have a 50oz flywheel drilled out to 28oz?

Long video about balancing a crank + flywheel (rotating assembly). This is what my builder guy did when I gave him my harmonic balancer + 302 crank + flywheel + pistons (he weighed them to come up with the right bob weights). My guy also gave me a record of all the measurements he made and what he did. My setup was stock so very little material was required to be removed from the harmonic balancer to match the stock 50oz imbalance.

MaddMartigan likes this.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Last edited by S4gunn; 06-12-2019 at 04:47 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Thanks S4. Im pretty positive he said 28oz internally balance. He did have the balancer and the flywheel he had to modify and balanced them all together. He weighed the rods and marked them i did see that. Couple things though. He bored it 40 over instead of 30. He did order 40 over pistons. Also tried to tell me you don’t have to notch the block. Wrong! I notched it myself before sending it back to him. Right now he has it because I believe it has a wrist pin issue on the far back cylinder. The guy knows what he is doing but is mainly a chevy builder.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLINTHUNDER View Post
Thanks Madd. I was hoping youd chime in. I first sent him a 50oz balancer at the beginning of the build. He called back and said the company he got the kit from said it was a 28oz and not a 50oz. The motor is 95 mustang based. He gets his kits from a company called Liberty Performance out of Louisville Ky. I may call them and see if they have a record of it. That flywheel you are using sounds like a winner. If you have the part number Id appreciate that. Thanks bud!
Here is what I'm using: Fidanza 186511 164 Tooth Aluminum SFI Approved External Balance Flywheel

You're going big, may as well go big.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in