how smart are mustang owners? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
how smart are mustang owners?

i have to rant here, as well as find out if this is normal.

over the weekend, i went to my buddy's mustang shop to try to drop the driveshaft to replace the ujoints. i have the high speed shakes and clunking in reverse happening. anywho, we get the car up on the lift, and i show him that the front ujoint is supposedly bad by grabbing one tire and rotating it back and forth (tranny is in park, so it wont rotate much), and you can hear play in the front ujoint. ignoring me, he points out that the opposite wheel is not rotating in sync with the tire i am rotating by hand. he claims a bad pumpkin build. so i ask what about the clunking, and he says ds needs balancing. then i think why would i pull a ds just to balance it without replacing the 12 year old ujoints at the same time? seeing as i how i wasn't going to get any serious work done, we got the car back on all fours and i left, pissed off. i think he was a little baffled when i said i need to lower the gas tank (<10 minute job with air tools) to get the ds out, which he thought meant dropping the damn thing, so he diverted the problem elsewhere.

even though i have trac lok and the tranny is in park, the opposite wheel isnt supposed to rotate in unison with the other, right?

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 AM
PostSlut

yes....its called a differential..

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 09:42 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
When I had vibration issues, the u joint being bad killed the rear end; the symptom was a lot of play before the other wheel moved.

The other wheel should move the opposite direction to the one you spin (with the tranny locked, of course...); otherwise, you have some serious issues!

Turning the drive shaft should turn both wheels the same direction.

I could turn the wheel almost half a turn before the bad diff moved the other wheel; with the new diff, I barely had to move the wheel before the other one moved.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 12:41 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I found the rear U joint in my stock shaft feels rough and gritty at 97k so changing it out was more of a good idea than planned. I had no serious vibes and no indicators that its going bad. So maybe yours are seriously shot. Id say get a 93mk8 DS with U joints that arent shot. Whatever you do I wouldnt spend a dime or minute of time on the stock shaft, they suck so bad.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

For normal everyday legal driving with stock gears... the stock shaft is fine. You only need to upgrade if you are going to be spinning it faster than the factory expected. (IE: 3.73's and/or speeds of >100 MPH.)
Although, while it is out I would go ahead and look around to see if there is a Mark unit available but if not no big deal.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Ainline41
mustangs are like tampons...

98 Mark VIII LSC
03 Focus ZX3 2.3 - beater
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 08:51 PM

Its not the cars. Its the ignorant owners. Every car make has them. Some are just easier to spot.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 10:44 AM

Trac-lock

If you have a trac lock that is not totally slipping, then the wheels will have to turn the same direction. With the tranny in P you should not be able to turn the wheel at all except for taking up of any slack. For the other wheel to rotate opposite direction, your clutches have to be worn out, or you have to exceed the torque spec'ed for the clutches. A trac lock is a clutch diff that is locked through the plates via the S spring and that is the case regardless of the state of the gear shift lever.

On an open diff, the "other" wheel will rotate opposite if the tranny is in P.

I think you are correct by attempting to turn a tire on a "locked" rearend, puts all the pressure on the "slack" items including both ujoints and the ringgear /pinion slack.

Thats my story and I am stickin to it
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 04:18 PM

why the mustang and mustang owner bashing? especially when i bet a good percentage of the members here have them.

dumb mechanics can be found everywhere,be they mustang mechanics or not.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
its a general stereotype, there are alot of dumb mustang owners (corral.net) and there are a few who are not. to me its all in good fun

-Matt
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 04:36 PM

ok since i'm a member of the corral(for a long time) i'll put myself in the category of those who are not. i'm also a mark viii owner and about to buy a 93 bird.
mustangs are what got me into fords in the first place,and therefore led me here. i will however always have a stang!
how about we poke fun at the ricers instead? lol
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 06:39 PM

^^i will help....how many ricers does it take to change a light bulb......lol
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:57 AM

why the mustang hate? it's a thunderbird on a diet
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:03 AM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinggt View Post
why the mustang hate? it's a thunderbird on a diet
umm, its nothing like a thunderbird..

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BIRD 90 View Post
^^i will help....how many ricers does it take to change a light bulb......lol
Don't you mean how many neon lights does it take to make you a ricer?

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 11:49 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to kraken2026 Send a message via Yahoo to kraken2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Don't you mean how many neon lights does it take to make you a ricer?
Ok gonna go a little foxworthy on you here....

If you have more neon wattage than horse power under the hood... You might be a ricer

If theres more chrome on your engine than a 57 chevy... You might be a ricer

If your exhaust sounds like a lawnmower farting through a megaphone... You might be a ricer

If theres more racing equipment stickers on the car than paint... You might be a ricer

If you put 20 times the cars value in racing parts for high 14 second time slips and think your cool... You might be a ricer

If you have more audio amps than all the lug nuts on your car... You might be a ricer

If you own or can recite lines from 2 fast 2 furious Tokyo drift... You might be a ricer

If your at a car show and see an import car and get a boner before you see the hot Asian model next to it... You might be a ricer

If your at a stop light and hear a engine reving at you and have reved yours to their challenge to race you only to find out its a gas powered weed wacker... You might be a ricer

If theres more carbon fiber on your car then metal.. You might be a ricer

If the FAA is requiring you to file a "flight plan" because your rear "wing" is just that big (seen a few mustangs with that unfortunatly)... You might be a ricer

If you've ever put those cheesy fake hood scoops, gas covers, and magnetic flames from wallmart on your car... You might be a ricer

If you consider a chrome exhaust tip bigger than your stock muffler a "speed" accessory.. You might be a ricer

If you consider wheel spinners or subwoofers a performance upgrade... You might be a ricer

If you bought one of those electric turbos and actually get better ETs and 60 foot times... You might be a ricer

I could do this all day

-94 T-bird 4.6L SOHC "Driver"
Full Pioneer sound system, 3rd muffler delete, PBR front Calipers, Rear disc conversion, Strut Tower Brace, Marauder Torque converter, True CAI & Silencer removal w K&N.
Planned upgrades: SC trac-loc pumpkin, Magnaflow SS mufflers & SS resonator tips, SC ground effects.

-93 Eddie Bauer Bronco
5.0L, E4OD, FatBob 2" Suspension lift, K&N CA, 2-1/2" flowmaster exhaust, sixliter ignition, 96 EB interior, Alcoa rims with 33's.

-92 Firebird 5.0 TBI, 4L60 "Project"
Accel / Holly Annihilator ignition, Dynomax cat back, adj. panhard Bar & T/A Sways, Formula 17x8 Rims, LT1 4L60 conversion, rear disc w posi conversion.

What can I say, birds of a feather flock together
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken2026 View Post
Ok gonna go a little foxworthy on you here....

If you have more neon wattage than horse power under the hood... You might be a ricer

If theres more chrome on your engine than a 57 chevy... You might be a ricer

If your exhaust sounds like a lawnmower farting through a megaphone... You might be a ricer

If theres more racing equipment stickers on the car than paint... You might be a ricer

If you put 20 times the cars value in racing parts for high 14 second time slips and think your cool... You might be a ricer

If you have more audio amps than all the lug nuts on your car... You might be a ricer

If you own or can recite lines from 2 fast 2 furious Tokyo drift... You might be a ricer

If your at a car show and see an import car and get a boner before you see the hot Asian model next to it... You might be a ricer

If your at a stop light and hear a engine reving at you and have reved yours to their challenge to race you only to find out its a gas powered weed wacker... You might be a ricer

If theres more carbon fiber on your car then metal.. You might be a ricer

If the FAA is requiring you to file a "flight plan" because your rear "wing" is just that big (seen a few mustangs with that unfortunatly)... You might be a ricer

If you've ever put those cheesy fake hood scoops, gas covers, and magnetic flames from wallmart on your car... You might be a ricer

If you consider a chrome exhaust tip bigger than your stock muffler a "speed" accessory.. You might be a ricer

If you consider wheel spinners or subwoofers a performance upgrade... You might be a ricer

If you bought one of those electric turbos and actually get better ETs and 60 foot times... You might be a ricer

I could do this all day
in reply to that! lookie here..

back to the differential problem.. the "highspeed shaking" maybe like between 60-80 it has a real bad shake.. enough to make the entire car shake..(ex seeing the light from the headlights bounce at night).. mine does that.. and mybe this is my my side clutches are burnt out in my TL lmao
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:37 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to kraken2026 Send a message via Yahoo to kraken2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysilvertbird View Post
in reply to that! lookie here..

back to the differential problem.. the "highspeed shaking" maybe like between 60-80 it has a real bad shake.. enough to make the entire car shake..(ex seeing the light from the headlights bounce at night).. mine does that.. and mybe this is my my side clutches are burnt out in my TL lmao

Nice

On the shake problem my dads f-150 used to do that. His U-joints were bad. I would drive it and above like 40 it would start and then get real bad around 50 to 60... I never chanced going faster than that. Drives nice and smooth now I've had it up past 90. If the car sat at all or has really old tires it could also be a flat spot in the tires causing them to go out of balance.

-94 T-bird 4.6L SOHC "Driver"
Full Pioneer sound system, 3rd muffler delete, PBR front Calipers, Rear disc conversion, Strut Tower Brace, Marauder Torque converter, True CAI & Silencer removal w K&N.
Planned upgrades: SC trac-loc pumpkin, Magnaflow SS mufflers & SS resonator tips, SC ground effects.

-93 Eddie Bauer Bronco
5.0L, E4OD, FatBob 2" Suspension lift, K&N CA, 2-1/2" flowmaster exhaust, sixliter ignition, 96 EB interior, Alcoa rims with 33's.

-92 Firebird 5.0 TBI, 4L60 "Project"
Accel / Holly Annihilator ignition, Dynomax cat back, adj. panhard Bar & T/A Sways, Formula 17x8 Rims, LT1 4L60 conversion, rear disc w posi conversion.

What can I say, birds of a feather flock together
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:50 PM

Mustang owners have to be better than Camaro owners agree or disagree. I use to be amustang owner. Mustang owners only believe onething and that is when it comes to cars mustang is the tradmark or the Ford cars but, If they listen to the Beach Boys they would know that the Thunderbird is the Tradmark or the Ford Cars. Just like the Bel-Air is the signature Tradmark car for Chev. This is atleast how I fell, what yall think.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 PM

Heres to add to the U might be a ricer jokes.

If you thank you can out run a Muscle car with your 4 cyl front wheel drive can might be a ricer.

If you think 160 horespower from is a good factory spec HP rating lot Than u might be a ricer.

If you think Chicks dig you because your car is flashy instead of dig you because of your power than u might be a ricer

If u think EURO tailghts and Halo and other types of aftermarket headlights are only for Hondas and were started by the Japanes Than u might be a ricer.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88TurboCoupeman01 View Post
Mustang owners have to be better than Camaro owners agree or disagree. I use to be amustang owner. Mustang owners only believe onething and that is when it comes to cars mustang is the tradmark or the Ford cars but, If they listen to the Beach Boys they would know that the Thunderbird is the Tradmark or the Ford Cars. Just like the Bel-Air is the signature Tradmark car for Chev. This is atleast how I fell, what yall think.
agreed, the 55-57 Bel-Air is the image of chevy.. but no one really remembers them, they all think ooh corvette or camaro.. or now the cobalt SS (complete lemon btw..)..

as for ford its the same thing the thunderbird, again the "54 1/2" or 55-57 thunderbirds are the image of ford yet again no one remembers them... everyone remembers the mustang, the pinto (sadly..) or the F-150/bronco..
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:18 PM

Well as of Tbird owners we need to stick toghter and put the word out, and what every u do don't forget or let anyone tell u that use Tbird owners are the resean mustang are on the road.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:19 PM

I would rather drive a saturn Ion Redline or a Colbalt SS than a Honda.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88TurboCoupeman01 View Post
Well as of Tbird owners we need to stick toghter and put the word out, and what every u do don't forget or let anyone tell u that use Tbird owners are the resean mustang are on the road.
even though im putting the 95 up for sale.. if ANYONE ever told me that id punch them in the face.. i hate this particular mn12 i have.. but i love my 96.. and i love tbirds.. (as ive had 4 and still own 2 ) i grew up with them.. literally..
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
the mustang saved ford.

-Matt
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:55 PM

Well ya the Mustang saved ford but the Mustang almost went extent unfortuntly. Ford wanted the Probe to take the Mustangs place. But Mustangs are still Great cars. And for the sport Compact car the Prope is the best car other than the Supra and Skyline.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
yea and the strong mustang fan base petitioned ford to keep it alive which they did. look which car is still alive today.

-Matt
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM

I know I love mustangs but what I am saying is the Tbird and cougar(rear wheel drive one) are underestamited don't yall think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in