Tl + Tc = ??? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
shaken, not stirred

Tl + Tc = ???

I am soon going to be upgrading my 3.27open w/TC to 3.73TL w/TC. Should I be concerned? Is there a chance i will tear anything up with both TL and TC? IDK if i have ever read anything about it around here. THanks

C.Hill

'97 Laser Red T-bird w/ Option 66S - 125,000 miles, stock except for 3.73s Best ET 15.6 @ 88.3
'94 Electric Red T-bird LX V-8- 212,000 miles- SOLD
2005 Ebony Black Excursion Limited 6.0 Diesel STUDDED

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

http://www.tailofthedragon.com <---- A test of driving ability and nerves.

Last edited by stangboy7; 02-08-2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: upper case letters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 05:35 PM
smoothed and filled red pearl 94

Send a message via AIM to 94MN1246
just brakes

as far as i know, the TC just applies brakes to the wheel thats spinning faster. a locker should keep it from doing anything in the rear since both wheels will be going the same speed. then again i am no expert on diffs.

-John
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 05:38 PM
5th Gear Poster

trac lok is in your rearend, its a mechicnal unit

traction control is just like john posted, applies brakes to there is where spin , always turn it off when you race or do a burnout...im not sure if there is a way to disable it, cause id like to know

trac lok is what you want

Ed
94 Thunderbird 4.6 PI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
shaken, not stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954.6tbird View Post
trac lok is in your rearend, its a mechicnal unit

traction control is just like john posted, applies brakes to there is where spin , always turn it off when you race or do a burnout...im not sure if there is a way to disable it, cause id like to know

trac lok is what you want
Yes, I do know all of this, my question being, is there any dangers to anything by combining the two? Becuase that is what I will be doing. If I recall correctly with the SCT tuner you can turn off the TC.

C.Hill

'97 Laser Red T-bird w/ Option 66S - 125,000 miles, stock except for 3.73s Best ET 15.6 @ 88.3

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 06:11 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangboy7 View Post
Yes, I do know all of this, my question being, is there any dangers to anything by combining the two? Becuase that is what I will be doing. If I recall correctly with the SCT tuner you can turn off the TC.

C.Hill
ah ok

naw i dont see a problem...

Ed
94 Thunderbird 4.6 PI

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Here is a thread that concerns disabling the traction control permanently. May answer some of your questions.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=13616

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
i've been running a TL with TC for a month or two now, no problems at all. in fact i dont think the TC has even activated since the swap

-Matt
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangboy7 View Post

C.Hill
not on mn12's, our cars dont use the pcm to enable traction control, its all in abs.

-Matt
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:39 AM

If you have trac-lok and it works properly, the traction control will never be engaged because it depends on the rear wheels spinning at radically different speeds, which will not occur with a properly functioning trac-lok differential.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Just a question here.. I know that the TC uses the brakes to do its thing. I also know that the sensors for the TC are attached to the Diff as I've removed a diff or two. Is it possible, or practical, to just disable the TC by unplugging the rear sensors?

(I don't know, my car was never equipped with TC and I've since installed a TL)

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
shaken, not stirred

I also must state that I use this for Auto-xing and I just dont want to damage anything. Obviously I would turn TC off before i go out for a run, but just trying to be safe.

C.Hill

- Henry Ford

- Thomas A. Edison

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Just a question here.. I know that the TC uses the brakes to do its thing. I also know that the sensors for the TC are attached to the Diff as I've removed a diff or two. Is it possible, or practical, to just disable the TC by unplugging the rear sensors?

(I don't know, my car was never equipped with TC and I've since installed a TL)
If you unplug the rear sensors, the ABS light will flash to indicate such and the whole system will disable itself. The only real way to disable it is to swap out the ABS computer or you can modify a wire single wire going to the computer IIRC.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:47 PM
6th Gear Poster

So here's my question, where are the tc sensors located and can a tl pumpkin be swapped into a tc car? I guess in simple terms can the sensor be hooked up after swapping diffs? I have an sc tl that I will be putting in soon but I also have tc. I don't want to have to deal with the whole abs problem chris eluded to

teksid block with forged internals, MHS stage 2 heads and cams, 80 mm 03 Mustang MAF, Bullitt intake with Accufab oval throttle body, Kooks headers, 2.5 inch catless true dual exhaust, w/x pipe and Magnaflow Magnapacks, Dirty Dog 3000 stall marauder tq converter, BC automotive built 4R70w transmission ,MMX Dynotech Drive shaft, Trac loc differential with 3.73's, custom made fssb, and lecb, rear shock tower brace by Azzkickers, JL subframe connectors, Eibach 1.5" lowering springs, koni shocks, dyno tune by Tim Barth at Mr Norm's garage
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
the sensors are bolted to the case by the halfshafts, yes they can be swapped, the cases are the same, and swapping to tl has no ill effects on abs operation.

-Matt
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:41 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
the sensors are bolted to the case by the halfshafts, yes they can be swapped, the cases are the same, and swapping to tl has no ill effects on abs operation.
thanks XR7

teksid block with forged internals, MHS stage 2 heads and cams, 80 mm 03 Mustang MAF, Bullitt intake with Accufab oval throttle body, Kooks headers, 2.5 inch catless true dual exhaust, w/x pipe and Magnaflow Magnapacks, Dirty Dog 3000 stall marauder tq converter, BC automotive built 4R70w transmission ,MMX Dynotech Drive shaft, Trac loc differential with 3.73's, custom made fssb, and lecb, rear shock tower brace by Azzkickers, JL subframe connectors, Eibach 1.5" lowering springs, koni shocks, dyno tune by Tim Barth at Mr Norm's garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in