Locating Traction Lock - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Locating Traction Lock

The time has come for my rear end gear ratio change to 3.73's. I have already acquired the frpp 3.73's but i need a traction lock carrier. I called my local ford dealer today only to find out that the loaded traction lock differentials are no longer available for the 96 tbird 8.8 The traction lock is only available in seperate parts.

What i am wondering is can i order a traction lock designed for an IRS cobra? 99 for example. I assume that the newer cars probably still have the traction lock carriers loaded still available...

My next choice would obviously be to get a used one from a junkyard. However, what cars had the traction locks? I understand that some of the manual trans SC's had traction lock 8.8s but how do i know just by looking at the carrier?

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 10:53 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to loudpipessavelives
the tags are usually on the top right hand side of the pumpkin until a certain year. When I found mine the tag read 3 08 L.....the L stands for locking. Obviously you know what the # 08 stands for. But I just pushed my thumb on it for like 10 seconds then looked at my thumb and read it backwards....I did a bit of searching and came to find out that my winter beater at the time had a traction lock in it....How bright of me! But anyways it was a 81 crown vic. All I had to do was replace the clutch pack which I believe ran me about 80 bucks. I payed someone else to install everything, all that shimming crap takes some experience.

Im not sure what all Ford cars had the 8.8 that would also have a traction lock, but crown vics are a good starting point and they are abundant.

93 Bird/ Trick Flow 5.0-- awaiting some fresh paint
99 Marquis on 20's (daily)
01 Mustang Cobra with bolt on's-- 22k miles, might be for sale soon

http://www.cardomain.com/id/CDogg93
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 11:07 PM

I am also intrested in this I orderd a trac loc 3 weeks ago and im still waiting im going to get a refond so i also would like to know what other cars I can steel one from. or wear I can get order one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudpipessavelives View Post
the tags are usually on the top right hand side of the pumpkin until a certain year. When I found mine the tag read 3 08 L.....the L stands for locking. Obviously you know what the # 08 stands for. But I just pushed my thumb on it for like 10 seconds then looked at my thumb and read it backwards....I did a bit of searching and came to find out that my winter beater at the time had a traction lock in it....How bright of me! But anyways it was a 81 crown vic. All I had to do was replace the clutch pack which I believe ran me about 80 bucks. I payed someone else to install everything, all that shimming crap takes some experience.

Im not sure what all Ford cars had the 8.8 that would also have a traction lock, but crown vics are a good starting point and they are abundant.
Hmm... Okay do you happen to know how i would know if it really is a traction lock if the carrier is uninstalled? Our ford yard that we get our parts from pulls the parts for us and the last thing i need is to take the carrier to the differential shop only to find out its open.

Do the crown vics have an IRS? I thought that the traction locks for these cars needed to be from an IRS car or am i mistaken? Thanks again.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Also... i understand that the mustang traction locks CAN be made to work. I understand that the side gears are different, and the mustang side gears can be machined to work with the tbird components. My question is are the side gears interchangeable? I.E. can i get the new LOADED t lock carrier meant for... say a 2001 mustang GT 8.8 rear end then buy the side gears meant for a t-lock tbird 8.8 rear end and have the shop install the tbird side gears to the mustang carrier?

The reason i ask is because i assume that a carrier meant for a 2001 mustang GT is most likely still available from ford. Also because my ford parts guy said the tlock components are available for the tbird carrier (i'm guessing for the use of rebuilds) therefore i could probably get the proper tbird side gears. Thanks again everyone.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
i noticed that summit racing has a TL for our cars, for about $225.88

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:23 AM
PostWhore

Well as far as telling wether a uninstalled carrier is a traction lock or not, I have not the slightest clue, I will ask a few people that know everything about the ford 9'' and see if they know. Otherwise I would ask the people at the Ford yard, maybe the guy with the grayest hair, atleast were I am from those guys know that stuff in and out, just from talking to them is where I gain knowledge.

Crown Vics do not have IRS, and just because we have IRS, we dont need the T-Loc out of an IRS car, the T-Loc assembly comes out of the pumpkin, essentially the pumpkins are the same on all 8.8 rear ends, its the setup of the suspension outside of the pumpkin which makes a car IRS.

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:28 AM
PostWhore

Ohh and as for the 01 mustang bit, if the 8.8 is the same, I don't see why JUST the T-LOC wouldnt work, however I have limited expereince with any newer cars rear end, I have dealt with a 81 and 92 crown vic, and a 93 T bird.....And several ford 9''...So before you make a decision on that I would talk to someone who knows about the newer rear ends.

As far as getting one from a yard, I would still find one from a VIC just cause someone may charge more for one out of a mustang than a 4 door boat, ya know? There is a huge demand on stang parts, and a small market from vic parts, although it is essentially the same part.

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 351cat
Quote:

Crown Vics do not have IRS, and just because we have IRS, we dont need the T-Loc out of an IRS car, the T-Loc assembly comes out of the pumpkin, essentially the pumpkins are the same on all 8.8 rear ends, its the setup of the suspension outside of the pumpkin which makes a car IRS.
You are not correct sir. (no offense intended whatsoever) The side gears in the differential carrier are different between live axle cars and IRS cars. The Live Axle cars have c-clips that hold them into the carrier. The IRS cars have a circlip. You can get IRS axles into a Live axle carrier, but chances are you will never get them out again because of the slight difference in the machining of the gears. A few have had success using the Live Axle carrier and taking the circlips off of the IRS axles... or you can get them machined. Best thing to do is find a MN12 or FN10 that has t-lock and use that. I'm not 100 percent sure on the IRS cobra carrier, but i think they had 31 spline axles where the mn12 uses 28 spline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hedberg
"Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry For The Convenience."
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar_guy04 View Post
Red Green, is that you? Might consider looking into fabbing an intake setup that isn't so, well, ghetto.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:50 AM

yes the cobra carrier is 31 spline but tha cobra hubs are 28 spline so you could use the cobra half shafts if thay are the same length.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Hmm interesting. I could have sworn that the 99 cobras had IRS obviously AND 28 splines? I thought only the later models had 31 spline. I know for sure the supercharged terminators had the 31. Anyone clarify?

Still nobody knows if you can just swap sidegears? Meaning getting a 01 mustang carrier and having the differential shop swap to the tbird side gears? Thanks everyone.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik97bird View Post
i noticed that summit racing has a TL for our cars, for about $225.88

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
That particular model is listed for a 7.5". However, our parts vendor for tccoa mentioned that there is in fact a ford racing unit available. I haven't heard back from him yet as far as more information. Hopefully tomorrow.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 05:34 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCrEaMiN BiRd View Post
Hmm interesting. I could have sworn that the 99 cobras had IRS obviously AND 28 splines? I thought only the later models had 31 spline. I know for sure the supercharged terminators had the 31. Anyone clarify?

Still nobody knows if you can just swap sidegears? Meaning getting a 01 mustang carrier and having the differential shop swap to the tbird side gears? Thanks everyone.

Yes the 99-01 Cobra are 28 spline same as ours.

Use a standard Mustang tracloc and remove the clips from your axles since the outer hub will never let the axles leave the housing anyway.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by sCrEaMiN BiRd View Post
That particular model is listed for a 7.5". However, our parts vendor for tccoa mentioned that there is in fact a ford racing unit available. I haven't heard back from him yet as far as more information. Hopefully tomorrow.
it's for an 8.8 it's a miss print
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by always sideways 97 View Post
yes the cobra carrier is 31 spline but tha cobra hubs are 28 spline so you could use the cobra half shafts if thay are the same length.
I think the Cobra Shafts are alittle short.But I am not too sure.

As long as the Diff tag is still on the housing to should have no problem with identifying a Trak-Lok.Just look for a 3L08, or 3L27.

Or if you can look at a door jam of a Bird or Cougar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post

Under the "AX" on the door jam sticker:

Conventional Lock Rear Axle Ratio
G H 2.26
B C 2.47
8 M 2.73
7 - 3.07
Y Z 3.08
4 D 3.42
F R 3.45
5(W5) E(XE) 3.27
6 W 3.73
2 K 3.55
A - 3.63
J - 3.85
Fact is Thunderbirds and Cougars are everwhere.You should be able to find somthing.

Good luck.

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
..[/url]
Still haven't told me who is in the avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95xbird View Post
I think the Cobra Shafts are alittle short.But I am not too sure.

As long as the Diff tag is still on the housing to should have no problem with identifying a Trak-Lok.Just look for a 3L08, or 3L27.

Or if you can look at a door jam of a Bird or Cougar.

Fact is Thunderbirds and Cougars are everwhere.You should be able to find somthing.

Good luck.

I got mine out of a standard 3.8 car with 4 wheel disc. Figured it would be less beat on. E Code. The above chart is a bit hard to read without the lines in the table.
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/gears/gears.html

Oh and I have a nice one, 3.08 freshly painted for sale.

95 SC 5-speed The Toy in Storage now.
95 SC Auto Newest storage queen.
91 Festiva 1.3L baby 5 speed
03 Crown Vic Sport 4.6... driver
10 Flex Brick Twin Turbos
*Rodney*
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:28 PM
PostWhore

Cobra half shafts will not work on our cars (I have a Cobra IRS in my Mustang)
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
Oh and I have a nice one, 3.08 freshly painted for sale.
I'll kill you!

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95xbird View Post
I'll kill you!
Let's take this outside to the members area!!!!!

J/K.

But honestly. These are a dime a dozen around here.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351cat View Post
You are not correct sir. (no offense intended whatsoever) The side gears in the differential carrier are different between live axle cars and IRS cars. The Live Axle cars have c-clips that hold them into the carrier. The IRS cars have a circlip. You can get IRS axles into a Live axle carrier, but chances are you will never get them out again because of the slight difference in the machining of the gears. A few have had success using the Live Axle carrier and taking the circlips off of the IRS axles... or you can get them machined. Best thing to do is find a MN12 or FN10 that has t-lock and use that. I'm not 100 percent sure on the IRS cobra carrier, but i think they had 31 spline axles where the mn12 uses 28 spline...
no offense taken. If you are just talking about the the center section I don't know what is different, i Know exactly what the c- clips are, ciclip I dunno....Like i said i paid someone to put it in my car, but I know for a fact taht my t-lock worked out of my crown vic, all I did was replace the clutch pack, and i was good to go.

post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmckinney View Post
Yes the 99-01 Cobra are 28 spline same as ours.

Use a standard Mustang tracloc and remove the clips from your axles since the outer hub will never let the axles leave the housing anyway.
I researched this a bit more and i have found that the 99 cobras ONLY had 28 splines. Can anyone verify this? I know that there was only the cobra R in 2000 and all the 2002 cobras got sent to australia? Something like that... therefore there was only 99, 01, 03, 04 cobra's WITH an IRS. I know for sure the terminators had the 31 splines, and i had previously thought that 2001 was also 31 but since Nick mentioned it now i am unsure. Again anyone verify?
post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Sorry about that sik97bird. That is probably the same part that 93lx was speaking of (our ford parts vendor on this site). Thank you for the point in the right direction. I'm sure this will help others when they want to swap in a trak lock only to find out the carriers for the tbirds are obsolete.
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
I actually looked up the part number in my ford racing catalog and even in the catalog it is listed as 7.5."
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 07:24 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
no offense taken. If you are just talking about the the center section I don't know what is different, i Know exactly what the c- clips are, ciclip I dunno....Like i said i paid someone to put it in my car, but I know for a fact taht my t-lock worked out of my crown vic, all I did was replace the clutch pack, and i was good to go.

If they did not remove the little clips on the inside edge of the IRS axles you will have a biach of a time trying to get your axles back out of that trac loc. It goes together but doesn't want to come apart.
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Check this post

Hello

Check this post.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=103314

Paul

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmckinney View Post
If they did not remove the little clips on the inside edge of the IRS axles you will have a biach of a time trying to get your axles back out of that trac loc. It goes together but doesn't want to come apart.
Hmm well i can understand that I guess......I will be finding this out if I ever decide to upgrade my axles then!

post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtess View Post
I have actually ready that post last night found some GOOD stuff in there. I was just looking for more confirmation from those that are knowledgeable. Thanks again everyone...

Heard from 93LX this morning and the 99 cobra units are obsolete just as the tbird units. They are in fact the same exact part number.
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 04:48 AM
4th Gear Poster

Scroll down about 1/2 way:

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/rear.htm

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
4.6L DOHC; meter4it.com chase/sequential tail lights; 20" Giovanna Dalars; 4.30 gears; FRPP Track-Lok; SCT tuned; Baumann ReCal; Addco bars; Cobra brakes...

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:17 PM
PostWhore

man!

post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
Let's take this outside to the members area!!!!!

J/K.

But honestly. These are a dime a dozen around here.
Great!

I should have some cash for ya soon.Just waiting on my tax return.I'll PM you when I get it so I can send it via paypal.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in