I Need An Axle Boot! Help?! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I Need An Axle Boot! Help?!

I just found out today that i have a cracked left (rear) axle boot and have lost most of my grease in it. My mechanic tried to look up the boot number to get a new one and found out that its discontinued, and he couldnt find one.

Two questions...

Does anyone know where to get one?
He told me the only way he could get a new boot was to buy the entire axle. He priced one and he can get it and install it (with a lifetime warranty) for $190. my question is IF i do find a boot should i just buy the boot or just get an all new warranted axle?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Poster

Ok.. time for me to look stupid. Does the T-Bird have the same IRS setup as a Mark VIII? If so, $190 installed does not seem too bad or you can do its yourself for just over $100 with new OEM Ford parts. This is for a no core return:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...188492833&rd=1

Most require a core return and that can bump the price over $100. After the core return it may be less than $100 but its reman and not new OEM.

Of course if you can find just the boot it may be worth it, assuming not too much grease was lost to result in damage.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

i dont know if its the same as a mark but i do know that the new axle i was quoted for was only 75$ as aposed to that one on ebay for 99.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:31 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Hit the junk yard and you'll find one, its just a tough boot to cover a mechanical joint, with 3 rollers on the end. And DIY its effen easy. The hard/messy part is the disassembly. Buy a bag of CV grease 7 bux, hit the j yard for a boot 5 bux and you have all you need. YOu don't need a new half shaft unless you snapped yours. This is a $20 job.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

a junk yard was my first geuss...but hears another question. ive put like 600 miles on the broken boot which means 600 miles w/o grease. With that said should i just replace the whole axle since running it for that many miles might have cuase some damage?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I have some good axles I could sell you, probably be cheaper than replacing the boot.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

price and time frame?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRickert View Post
a junk yard was my first geuss...but hears another question. ive put like 600 miles on the broken boot which means 600 miles w/o grease. With that said should i just replace the whole axle since running it for that many miles might have cuase some damage?
If it was mine I would replace the whole axle. At our shop we dont even put just boots in because the damage is usually already done by the time you notice the boot is broken and have decided to repair it. Allowing dirt to enter the joint will accelerate its failure. We used to install CV boots on FWDs, but its not long after that they began to click and eventually break in some cases. Now we just replace the entire axle with a reman or new unit. Of course, FWD axles have to deliver torque while turning and while the suspension moves up and down through its range of travel. The ones on the rear (like our MN12s) really only have to deal with transferring power through all ranges of suspension travel since the rear wheels dont turn.

Oh yeah, plus by the time you have pulled the knuckle loose you just pop the axle out of the differential, gotta love those circlips. No worries about C-clip retainers on these diffs. Let us know how things go though man!
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Sounds to me like this is the perfect time to upgrade to some SC axles. Go to the junkyard, and get a pair of axles, preferably out of a 5-speed SC, and swap them out. That would still probably be cheaper than replacing just the boot.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in