richmond 3.73 gear set - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Question richmond 3.73 gear set

Hey guys....i just purchased a set of richmond gears and the 1/2 instalation kit but i need some clarification about compatibility.My mechanic isnt sure if i got the correct install kit....part # for gears is 49-0104-1 .....and part# for the instal kit is 83-1043-1...i know the gears will work with the irs but is there a chance that the install kit isn't compatible with our irs pumpkin? thanx in advance for any input.

1995 lx v8.
Mods: 3.73 TL,NX Express kit,ported manifolds,O/R Xpipe, 2 1/4" true duals through glasspacks. air silencer delete,3 inch cold air intake(R.M replica tube), J-MOD,b&m cooler,updated accumulators and springs removed,walbro 255 lph inline mounted pump,kirban fuel FPR ,180* drilled t-stat,hypertech module,ported upper plenum elbow,halfshafted TB/ported.

BEST N/A RUN: 15.2 @ 93mph (w/3.27TL setup)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Smile

well guys.. i have torn my diff out of the car,,, and i pressed off all the old bearings out and installed new ones along with the new 3.73 ring and pinion,new trac lok clutches (was actually surprised with 130k the old clutches looked to have almost no wear at all.. i have what seems like proper tooth contact but im not 100%..on the drive side the tooth mark is centered from the top and the bottom of the tooth but its a little on the toe side coverng about 3/4 of the tooth (which i think is competition setup)... the coast side is centered all way around... will the drive side setup as competitive cause any more noise vs. a stock rear end setup?
oh and btw,,, what kind of manners should i expect out of the car with the new 3.73 gears?

1995 lx v8.
Mods: 3.73 TL,NX Express kit,ported manifolds,O/R Xpipe, 2 1/4" true duals through glasspacks. air silencer delete,3 inch cold air intake(R.M replica tube), J-MOD,b&m cooler,updated accumulators and springs removed,walbro 255 lph inline mounted pump,kirban fuel FPR ,180* drilled t-stat,hypertech module,ported upper plenum elbow,halfshafted TB/ported.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

oh sorry,, i forgot to mention,i have what seems to be .008"-.009" of backlash...and is it possible to lap the gear set in with some lapping compound and a drill to turn the assembly over for a while in order to reduce break in time because i dont want to wait 500 miles to stab the gas pedal

1995 lx v8.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:48 PM
5th Gear Poster

aah you may not get the get up and go you are hoping for, then again you might... there is a nice difference but with our stall speed, stock wise you gotta get a better converter, it definately is noticeable after you do that i found a great improvement at about 45 MPH when you nail it. that is without a better converter.

as for the break in time mine was fine after the 3 hour highway drive home . i was somewhat hesitant but hey gotta do it sometime. lol good luck with yours.

Mods: The usual stuff... 3.73 Gears, J-mod, catless mandrel 2.5" true duals, Marauder Converter, Eibachs, Xcal2 and Phoenix Gold Audio, chrome 18's, etc. etc..
I joined the dark side...
2002 Mustang GT, FRPP Aluminator with Tork Tech MP112 intercooled S/C at 17PSI, with all the supporting mods.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Talking

well i test drove the car with the 3.73s after i did initial break in.... its very fun to drive now with the aggresive jmod,,1-2 normal i have to let off the gas right before the shift so i wont chirp at any throttle input,,and i can roast both the tires now from a stop and kick the ass sideways shifting into 2nd,,,but i noticed i havnt lost mph during the shifts from 3.27 to 3.73 but i does shift at higher rpm now 5600 2-3, and 5200 1-2... is that normal?? i used to shift at 4500 1-2 and 5200 2-3 shift>?

1995 lx v8.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Yea, the shift point change is part of the deal. You'll need to reprogram the EEC for the new gears. Your top end will drop to about 90 MPH without a reprogram and don't forget to change to the purple speedo gear so your speedo will be correct.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
if you're on a stock Tbird/cougar converter you're a brave man. That sucker will baloon on you. But then again it must not be a stock ECU cuz the rev limiter would kick in. But the Car commands a shift at some point. There is a delay between the car commands the shift and actually engages that gear. With the 3.73 the car climbs in RPM's a little quicker so you get higher before ti actually shifts.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

hmm so the shift points are dependent on several variables? i do have a hypertech chip (i know its bad) but will this setup be okay untill i get an xcal for permanent solution? Also as a sidenote,, i installed a richard m replica intake at the same time i did the gears and the car seemed like it leaned out so i increased my fuel pressure in small increments and it now runs MUCH stronger but im not sure if the fuel pressure is too high because i kinda did it by feel due to my broken fuel pressure gauge...On a good note the car feels awesome,, IMO the gears were worth every penny, and i cant wait for a converter later down the road...im just astonished that a simple gear swap would completely change the attitude of the car...i love mn12!

1995 lx v8.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
you didn't tell us if you are using the stock torque converter? Like I said earlier... bad things can happen. Over 5200-5300 the torque converter balloons. Meaning it actually expands and pushes on the transmission and the crank shaft of the engine. It can trash the trans or engine or both and be very costly.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

ooo ya sry i got ahead of myself... yes i still have the stock converter....and now that u mentioned that it expands and pushes against the crank and the trans im kinda scared to drive it....my plans were to get a dirtydog 3200 or more stall but i have a bunch of bills at the moment to pay but would a used maurader converter or mark 8 be a good inexpensive remedy for now?or should i wait off and get a good converter and instead get a tuner for now to adjust the shift points?

1995 lx v8.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in