gear question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

gear question

im goin to the junkyard tommaro to pick up mark 8 aluminum lower controll arms and pumpkin. and was woundering, last time i was there i saw an explorer with an 8.8 and 3:73 gears and sport trak and was woundering if i can get the guts out of the explores pumpkin and stuff them into the mark 8 houseing. i pretty sure 8.8 gears are the same between IRS and straight axel but wanted to double check. also im sure the gears will hold up to the power im makeing now, but i do plan to throw a supercharger at my car in the future, will the stock explorer gears handle the power then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

if i am lookin at my spair diff correctly, i can use the guts out of the explorer but just need the side geers out of a IRS track lock. ( duhh wouldnt be able to get my axels out with the solid axel's) anybody kno ware i can get just the side gears. i in 4 years have never seen a V8 or tracklock bird/cougar at the yard so thats not gonna be an option here
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 PM
6th Gear Poster

I have a solid axle trac-lok differential in an aluminum housing, instead of changing the side gears, I removed the clip from each each axle. Many people have done this without seeing any ill effects. Mine has been like this for quite sometime with absolutely no problems. Is it absolutely correct? Probably not, but it is much cheaper, easier, and functions perfectly fine.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

this cars my daily driver i dont know how good an idea that would be. just curious how many miles have you put on it
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 09:51 PM
6th Gear Poster

My car is my daily driver too. I have had this rearend in for almost a year. I know people have had this particular set up for much longer than I have. Anyhow, I drive 130 miles a day five days a week commuting to college from my house (before returning to college I worked as a car mechanic). I have had no problems whatsoever, if the axle or axles did come out something catastrophic would have had to happen. By catastrophic I mean grenaded rearend (lack of clips would never cause this) or a horror show of a car accident in which the absence of axle clips would be the least of your worries. I'm sure more people will chime in and give this method their seal of approval if you want more reassurance, but I promise this is a viable/safe option.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I have pondered removing the circlips to use a trak-lok out of a solid axle car, but I've never been short on IRS trak-lok diffs, so I never needed to. I would suspect that once everything is installed, the circlips don't hold anything in place, and in fact I have seen numerous FWD cars that the CV axles don't have any kind of clips holding them in other than the spindle at the other end, but I'm not entirely convinced they are useless. The most likely problem I can see would be it causing the diff to leak fluid out of where the axle goes in. The axle expands and contracts as the suspension moves, so if for some reason the joint binds up a little and can't expand, then it could pull the axle part of the way out of the housing. That would definitely cause gear oil to spray out of the diff, and it could also strip the teeth on the axle and the gear if it moves out far enough and enough times. Also, if you break an axle, it would fly out of the diff housing and become a dangerous object laying in the middle of the road, not to mention again spilling all your gear oil out onto the street.

My final attitude towards it is basically that you aren't saving enough money to make it worth having to worry about it on a daily driver. If it is a weekend car, or mainly a track car, or something like that, then I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I wouldn't want to have this on a car that I have to depend on every day to get me to work. Especially since rusted out SCs can be found in junkyards all the time, and all the 89-93 ones will have a TL rear you can grab for pretty cheap.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbird96 View Post
i in 4 years have never seen a V8 or tracklock bird/cougar at the yard so thats not gonna be an option here
i will prob look into other junk yards in the area for side gears out of a track lock. if no luck will post in parts wanted section (witch is hit or miss, and noone would wanna part out a a track lock) but by then i might be annoyed enough to run it without the clips
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 10:20 AM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandzep View Post
I have a solid axle trac-lok differential in an aluminum housing, instead of changing the side gears, I removed the clip from each each axle. Many people have done this without seeing any ill effects. Mine has been like this for quite sometime with absolutely no problems. Is it absolutely correct? Probably not, but it is much cheaper, easier, and functions perfectly fine.
x2, this is what i did too.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

anybody happen to know what the axel code for a ford explorer with sport trak is. there were a couple explorer's that had 3.73 in em but my buddy that works there is on vaca for the next week and they dont let people in with tools so i couldnt pop the diff cover off to check if it was a trck lock or not
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

nevermind found a nice chart. still gonna have to wait for my buddy to come back as the a**hole that was workin ther tryed charging $300 for the axel carrier alone. he woundnt sell me just the houseing he was like "what am i supposed to do with the gears" i was like WTF do u care the cars only in the yard 2 months befor you crush it anyway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in