Snowy climate, Trak-Loc or not? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Snowy climate, Trak-Loc or not?

So I was thinking about swapping in a traction-lock differential. My question is whether this would be helpful or harmful in the snow. I have heard differing opinions on this from people I know. I'd rather not drive the T-Bird in the snow, but it may be necessary, at least for one winter. I have a set of practically new snow tires and wheels to put on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
its very helpful!!!

last winter was really bad here, i actually swapped my trac-lok in early in january so i could regain some control on really slippery roads. it was about 20* outside when i swapped mine out and was worth all the effort.

-Matt
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:17 AM
PostWhore

I wonder how hard it would be to put T/Assist in an ABS car that don't have it. The parts are under $100 from car-parts. I think you need a TA computer, message center and actuator/HCU. I know the brake line inputs are switched off the pump. The brakes have to be bled at a shop though.

I assume the wiring harness is the same....

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 10:13 AM

I have driven my car with traction assist for a winter and with a trac-lok (traction assist off)the next. There is simply no comparison. The trac-lok made the car much more stable and predictable. In my opinion the traction assist system in our cars stinks. Mine would kick in mid-corner and throw the car sideways always at the wrong time. With the trac-lok your right foot determines when and if you want to go sideways. Now if you want to be able to run with 4wd vehicles in snow, get a set of winterforce m/s tires. Cheap and tons of traction.

Just my snowy opinion,
Lorne
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
trac assist sucks, it barely works when its dry, trac-low will always be better.

-Matt
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:56 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to joshbea6
I use the 2.73 trac-lok unit from my SC in my 97 LX sport, and have had NO problems in the snow.

Removing low end torque helps a TON in the snow!

1997 LX Sport 4.6L 2.73 , MODS=SCT tuned/J-Mod/Trans Cooler/Dyno max Cat-Back/NgkPlugs/Mac cold air/March UD's/FRPP aluminumcarrier3.73's(spare for strip use)/ PI cams + PI intake manifold w/adapter plate/ Mark VIII Convertor/80mm L-Maf/70mm TB/ Mark VIII 1 piece shaft/Cobra R' wheels/ Kumhos 235/60/16 - White leather w/ blue cloth seats - white face gauges in 95 cluster
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 04:15 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer_m5 View Post
I have driven my car with traction assist for a winter and with a trac-lok (traction assist off)the next. There is simply no comparison. The trac-lok made the car much more stable and predictable. In my opinion the traction assist system in our cars stinks. Mine would kick in mid-corner and throw the car sideways always at the wrong time. With the trac-lok your right foot determines when and if you want to go sideways. Now if you want to be able to run with 4wd vehicles in snow, get a set of winterforce m/s tires. Cheap and tons of traction.

Just my snowy opinion,
Lorne
heh..studs...i feel more confident with studded tires on a tird than a 4wd truck. Traction + amazing handling. The winterforce tires are probably very good too.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Thanks for the info. I will probably get it put in at some point in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in