Trac-Loc vs. Powertrax No-Slip - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Trac-Loc vs. Powertrax No-Slip

Questions for users of these:

1. What kind of longevity/mileage is everyone getting on their trac-loc between clutch rebuilds?

2. Are the new Powertrax machined for IRS gears? I read that this was once an issue. While I intend to call the manufacturer, I'd put more trust in the word of someone who has already had this installed.

3. Do the axles for the 93-98 Marks, 89-97 8.8 T-Birds and 89-97 Cougars have the same spring-clip design on the ends of the axles? I looked at the app charts from Powertrax and it shows that the no-slip fits all the Coogs and Marks of that time frame, but only 87-89 T-Birds. I wonder if that's brain fade on Richmond's part or if there's another issue that I wasn't able to find via search.

The price of the trac-loc is appealing, but not if it's gonna be another routine maintenance item. These cars already have enough nagging issues as it is.

Thanks in advance.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:36 PM
PostWhore

I can't offer much advise to your questions but I can speak of my own experience.

Last year, I bought a Richmond Lock Right from Summit and I hate it!!! I wish I knew the Summit Tech guy that recommended that cuz I'd call him and tell him what I thought. But back to the subject..... It doesn't use the clutches inside but instead has locking gears inside and are supposed to pop away from eachother when going around turns. That thing is **** and is really rough going around corners at low speeds....5-15 mph. It doesn't disengage for crap.
I just bought a stock trac loc out of a 04' Mach 1 and will be swapping that out real quick.

I guess my whole point is, IMO I would stick with a clutch unit

pics of my car
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ght=train+yard

Updated 10/14/11
3800 Dirty Dog installed and drag radials
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
My trac-lok has about 60k on it since I originally built it. The engine blew but the rear is still good.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:50 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 5.0 bird
I was gonna put a Lock-Right in mine until my driveline teacher showed me the two sets he had with chipped teeth. I just sent it back to Jeg's and bought a new FRPP trak-lok.

Matt

1986 Cougar 5.0

1989 Mk VII LSC 5 speed (sold)

1992 Thunderbird Sport 5.0 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in