pumpkin swap question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

pumpkin swap question

say I get a used trac lok pumpkin for my 95 (which has neither that or trac assist and is a 40th ann edition).

Will replacing the old clutch packs with new require shimming and setting up gears? Is this a major job?

Last edited by tbirdguy; 04-07-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

accidentally put in the wrong forum, meant to go in differentials . Cannot delete, please move.

Last edited by tbirdguy; 04-07-2012 at 10:41 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 AM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

I had mine done professionally and late model F-150 spring put in when I swapped from a 7.5 to an 8.8.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdguy View Post

Will replacing the old clutch packs with new require shimming and setting up gears? Is this a major job?
It's a major job. You need special tools and special skills. Unless you have someone with the proper experience helping you, don't do it yourself. Find a driveline shop locally, or buy a ready to go unit from someone on the board here. There are several guys who do this professionally who post regularly here.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:03 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94TchikinV8 Send a message via Yahoo to 94TchikinV8
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergordo View Post
It's a major job. You need special tools and special skills. Unless you have someone with the proper experience helping you, don't do it yourself. Find a driveline shop locally, or buy a ready to go unit from someone on the board here. There are several guys who do this professionally who post regularly here.
The clutch packs alone are not a major job. IIRC, I believe you can replace them without even removing the carrier, though it might be kind of a pain. As long as you put everything back in the way it came out(ie. shims on their appropriate sides, etc.) you shouldn't need to do "set-up" again if you decide to take the carrier out. If you change the gear set, you will need to do proper set-up.

-Rob

1994 Thunderbird LX V8

Still in pieces in the garage awaiting body work, paint, and a drivetrain...

Currently driving a 98 Mustang GT convertible:
02 Explorer engine, Comp 262ah cams, Steeda underdrives, aftermarket H-pipe with high flow cats, SLP LM1 exhaust, MGW shifter, RAM clutch
[email protected], 2.17 60ft(stock 2.73s, worn-out trac-lok)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
No, it is not a major job. Before you put the pumpkin in the car, take the rear cover off and clean out inside there with some brake-cleaner. First remove the S-spring in the center of the diff. Next, find the 8mm bolt that goes through the diff which holds a metal bar in the diff between the spider gears. Remove that bolt and slide the bar out of the diff. Now you can rotate the spider gears so that the ones that had the bar going through them can come out. Remove them, and then the side gears can be removed one at a time by sliding them into the center of the diff and pulling it out. Once that is done, the clutches and steels will just slide right out. Stack the new ones in place and put everything back in reverse order. The only tricky part is getting the spider gears back in because if they are one tooth off, the bar won't line up again. That might take a few tries to get it right, but the rest of it is pretty straightforward. Oh yeah, the other part that sucks is getting that spring back in there, but a big channel locks and a friend should be enough to get it back in there. Either that or a press if you have one.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
No, it is not a major job. Before you put the pumpkin in the car, take the rear cover off and clean out inside there with some brake-cleaner. First remove the S-spring in the center of the diff. Next, find the 8mm bolt that goes through the diff which holds a metal bar in the diff between the spider gears. Remove that bolt and slide the bar out of the diff. Now you can rotate the spider gears so that the ones that had the bar going through them can come out. Remove them, and then the side gears can be removed one at a time by sliding them into the center of the diff and pulling it out. Once that is done, the clutches and steels will just slide right out. Stack the new ones in place and put everything back in reverse order. The only tricky part is getting the spider gears back in because if they are one tooth off, the bar won't line up again. That might take a few tries to get it right, but the rest of it is pretty straightforward. Oh yeah, the other part that sucks is getting that spring back in there, but a big channel locks and a friend should be enough to get it back in there. Either that or a press if you have one.
That don't sound bad at all, I wonder why some say the carrier has to come out.
I hate the 8mm bolt though, I had one break off on me when I did an axle on an old crown vic

Last edited by tbirdguy; 04-07-2012 at 10:42 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:27 AM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
Sorry guys, I misread the original post. I thought he was asking about installing a T-loc carrier into a pumpkin. Wasn't trying to confuse anybody.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in