Figureing out what drive train I have. Long and rambeling! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Figureing out what drive train I have. Long and rambeling!

I have asked small questions here and there after I bought me t-bird, about how to tell the stal of the T.C and other related ?s But my memory is slipping and I can't find the posts via the search button. So, I figured I would give one final shot then print up the solutions for future referance and not bug you gurus about it again. plus it might give someone motivation to look in to the same problems.

I know some of you are saying "just look at the tags DUMB A$$", well, the dude I bought it from told my wife (not me) he had redone the drive train from T.C back. She didn't know what that was so fail to menion it. When I first purchased the car with 74,400 miles, the guy selling it told me he had put new gears and a trac-loc (he called it posi) in a few months before and never mentioned anything about the T.C or tranny to me. ( my wife mentioned it to me after the car was in the garage) I never gave much thought to the validity of his statement. I was getting a killer deal on the bird so I didn't much care. Over the past 3-4 years I had only put 4500 miles on the car never drove it enough to "get to know the car". Only 22 miles a time to and from work.

Over the past 6 months I have logged 4000 miles of freeway driving. My gas milage, accounting for tire size is 465 miles per tank of gas (bone dry to completely full 17.9 gallons) That equates to 25.97 and change. I drive with the speedo at 73 (between 70 and 75) for 186 miles. I have no power adders, mods or anything of that sort. I have looked at the diff from the out side but can't see any differance from my stock 95 t-bird. My speedo is off a bit at 60 miles an hour I go from one mile marker to another in 63 seconds ( I have measured it a thousand time it ranges from 62-64 sec). But even with a 3 mph error the distance 435 per tank is still around 24.3 MPG. I am at 1900-2100 rpms at 73. My math may be off a bit but I never got this good of milage with any of my other birds.

Now as far as the diff, as I said before, I never gave it much though wheather or not the dude was telling me the truth. There are some wierd idiocicracies with the car. When backing up and turning the rear tires [email protected] The same when going around a corner one tire feel a bit jerky. To make along story short (I know too late) I was driving around in a lite rain a few weeks ago and stopmed on the gas from a light (which I have acctually never done in the rain). Both tires lit up and the car walked side for 10 feet the tires started to smoke in the rearview both were totaly going. I went back and saw that both tires were actually smoking. Thus posi rear. Since this litte "smoke show" I have been testing this car when ever I get the chance. The RPMs seem to jump way up when I stomp on it from a stop. Again much higher than than my 95. It is frustrating to not know that things other have done, for crying out loud the car had three alarms on it. Everytime I pull a panel or part I discover a new edition that my other t-birds did't have.

So, in short (i know too late) What or how would you gurus figure out what ratios, stall speeds and trac-loc my car had with out pulling the parts.

2011 Kia Sorrento
1996 T-bird
*SOLD* 2007 Suzuki M50

Looking for a new ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Let's start with the stall test. Put the car in 2nd gear, and hold your left foot hard on the brake and hold the gas to the floor. Watch what rpms the motor holds at, and that is the stall speed of the converter, give or take a couple hundred rpms.

As for the rear gear ratio, that might be a little more complicated. The simplest way is to hold a steady speed on the highway and see what rpms you are turning for a given speed, and then calculate it out based on tire size and transmission gear ratio. The only problem with that is you don't know if your speedo gear has been changed or not. The mile markers on the highway aren't very accurate, so if you have tested it always on the same stretch of highway, there's no way of telling whether your speedo is off by 5%, or whether the markers are off by 5%, or whether its a combination of both being off. In theory though, if the stock gear was 3.08s, and you stepped up 5%, that would put you pretty close to 3.27s. What I would suggest is first have a car with a known accurate speedo pace you at a pre-determined speed, so that you can know for sure how accurate your speedo is. Then once you know how fast you are actually going, and you know how many rpms your engine is turning at that speed, you can calculate what gear ratio you have in the rear.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks that clears it up somewhat...I have a buddy with the same year, color engine size as mine and he tells me that mine is much quicker of the line and accels up to 75 much faster. May be its due to his has 180K and my has 84K

2011 Kia Sorrento
1996 T-bird
*SOLD* 2007 Suzuki M50

Looking for a new ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in