putting explorer Tlock into mark 8 carrier? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

putting explorer Tlock into mark 8 carrier?

Hello everyone, I have been searching around for the past hour and learning alot but now I have a question and cant seem to find an answer for it.

I have read that you can put an explorer traction lock and 3.73 gears into a mark 8 carrier pretty easily by just machining the side gears to fit the cir-clips, that sounds easy enough.

The thing I am wondering is how can you make this work with the stock 28 spline axle shafts instead of having to switch to 31 spline shafts? Can you just use the side gears from a stock 28 spline T bird SC tractioin lock in the explorer traction lock?

Here is the deal, I have a 67 ford truck, I swapped in a 94 lincoln mark 8 IRS that is completely stock right now right down to the original fluid and 3.08 open diff. I have a complete low mileage 97 ford explorer 8.8 axle with 3.73 traction lock and 31 spline axles.

Can I just install the explorer t-lock and gears?
Can I use the side gears from the lincoln mark 8 or tbird SC?
Should I just machine the explorer side gears to accept the cv shafts?

I do plan on upgrading to aftermarket 31 spline axles later on when money permits but funds are tight right now. (money is tight after installing the twin turbos and 6spd manual trans )

I know I can install an aftermarket setup like an auburn pro and throw in some gears but I already have this stuff here and I dont have the extra cash.

Thanks for the help.
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 06:18 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I would just get a 28 spline tlock... so much easier and they are cheap anyways... and as far as the clips just leave them off the axles and don't worry.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

But since I already have the explorer and it is in good shape (no need to rebuild it) could I reuse it with some side gears from my super coupe Tlock diff?

I would love to just buy a $100 shim and bearing kit and drop in the explorer diff and gears.

I have the spare 93 supercoupe diff with Tlock and 3.27 gears but it has at least 175,000 miles on it and will have to be rebuilt before it goes in and I would still have to take the explorer axle apart to get the 3.73 gears.

67 Ford F100 sc/sb 2wd 4BD1T w/HY35 & HX52 compound turbos, 370cc injection pump ( by Sheid Diesel), custom equal length header, T56 6spd trans, 07 crown vic front suspension, 94 lincoln mark 8 IRS with 3.08 gears & open diff, 4 wheel disc brakes ridin on 18's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:05 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
No you cannot use the sidegear from a 28 spline. You would have to either
A. Get custom made axles. If you have $1500 to spend on axles I can get this done.
B. Convert cobra axles for mn12 use. It has been done, but will still cost more than even a brand new traction lock.

I don't suggest removing the clips, a few have done it, but for $15 I can modify a 28 spline mustang traction lock and you don't have to worry about it.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks thats what I was wondering.

So I guess I need to remove the gears from the explorer, remove the traction lock from the supercoupe. Rebuild the SC T-lock and install the gears and sct-lock into the mark 8 housing with new shims and bearings.

Anyone know a good place to get a deal on clutches and an install kit?

67 Ford F100 sc/sb 2wd 4BD1T w/HY35 & HX52 compound turbos, 370cc injection pump ( by Sheid Diesel), custom equal length header, T56 6spd trans, 07 crown vic front suspension, 94 lincoln mark 8 IRS with 3.08 gears & open diff, 4 wheel disc brakes ridin on 18's
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
The easiest way is to use only the gears from the explorer and use the complete TL unit from the SC, all installed into the MarkVIII housing. Also, when setting up the gears, to start with re-use all the shims from the housing you are using and check it. Most of the time, doing this will give you a perfect tooth pattern, but even if it isn't, you still save time because now you can figure out approximately how much you need to move it instead of just guessing on everything from the start.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, thats what I will probably wind up doing Mikey, just wanted to try and save a little money and use the explorer T lock since its practicly new. The poor ole SC unit needs new clutches in it.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 02:15 PM
6th Gear Poster

Pics? I want to see this thing... What made you choose an izuzu powerplant when everything else you seem to be doing ford related.. What are your power numbers?

*nevermind I just googled it and WOW that is cool

Shipping out to basic training for the army on april 12th!

Bird is on serious down time
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Use the pinion shim that came from the case you are using. The carrier shims you will likely have to change. The SC traction lock is the easiest choice. Make sure to inspect the cross pin and sidegear spacers for ewear or damage. A new S-spring is highly recommended.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bob, I have the truck posted on several websites ( I would post them but I dont know if thats allowed or not). I have a few magazines wanting to shoot it and put it in the mags but I need to paint it still. Power is 450rwhp and 850rwtq still getting 30+mpg's and loving it. And yes I get alot of naysayers (all gasser guys) that think that kind of power, tq and mpg's are impossible in a brick but the truck only weighs 3860 with me in it and those numbers have been verified over several thousands of miles. The ride is nice and smooth thanks to the 07 crown vic front end and 94 lincoln mark 8 IRS. I learned pretty much everything about the IRS I know from this site, lots of great tech here. thanks guys I love the site.

I still plan on opening the explorer, SC and lincoln pumpkins to compare things and just look around in general but I guess I will have to just rebuild the SC diff. I have been looking around for some 03 cobra axles and found some cheap locally, I read on here that you can use the 03 cobras if you mod the overall length a little then that would allow me to use the fresh explorer tlock and upgrade to the 31 spline carrier for a minimal cost.

I know eventually I will have to go to some DSS level 5 axles since the little diesel puts down alot of tq and now that I have a 6spd manual behind it I get some bad wheel hop. So far the IRS is holding up very well though, maybe its those skinny tractionless tires I keep on it that helps things survive. LOL

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:02 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Nice, post a link here if you can. I have a friend with a 70 Ford truck that bought a 92 Crown Vic front chassis to swap into it. I know that he would love to see how yours turned out. We're Ford guys though, we have extra Ford engines. My Friend's truck has a 460 at the moment. Regards,

_________
Don

91 Mark VII LSC SE, Griggs and MM suspension soon
98 Mountaineer, A4WD, Big brakes - 12.75" x 1.25" rotors
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

I hope I dont get in trouble for posting these pics here but here are a few pics of my work, I made the valve cover, equal length header, and all turbo piping. I also boxed the frame from the cab back and hard mounted the lincoln IRS, it does ride smooth as silk, when installing it I wasnt sure if it would be a jarring ride but a took a gamble and it payed off.

Here are some links to my build threads on different sites, they are pretty much the same just on different sites to get it out there, apparently its been a good thing since I have a few different magazines wanting to do articles on it.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...hlight=lincoln

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/71...o-67-f100.html

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=30145

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in