question about differential - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

question about differential

ok I have a 95 T-bird 4.6 and my axle code is Y, which I though was open 3.08, but on dry pavement I can lay down posi easily, can anyone help me understand this?

95 thunderbird LX - super coupe sway bars, front shock brace,custom exhaust, auxiliary trans cooler, cold air intake,180 degree thermostat, RSTB, custom front grille, HID conversion,18X9 Bullits,PBR front dual piston calipers,80MM MAF,eibachs 1.5" lowering springs, bilstein rear shocks,tokico front shocks, rear drum to disc brake swap,tinted windows,all new sound system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Open vs. Trac-Lok Differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by durbinXR7 View Post
ok I have a 95 T-bird 4.6 and my axle code is Y, which I though was open 3.08, but on dry pavement I can lay down posi easily, can anyone help me understand this?
Yes sir. My 'Bird does the same thing and has the same rear end. The reason solid-axle rear ended vehicles tend to spin the passenger-side tire only while our (as well as ALL independent rear suspension) vehicles don't is because when you think about it, the driveshaft is spinning clockwise if looking at the vehicle from standing in front of it. So if that is true, anything hooked to that axle (like the rear end) tends to spin clockwise too, right? Therefore, the whole solid axle (not our cars) rear end is twisting clockwise too, "planting" the driver's side tire and "picking up" the passenger's side tire making it spin. With IRS, this behavior doesn't occur because just our pumpkin is trying to spin clockwise, and there is no solid tube to twist. So, both tires tend to "plant" evenly, and spin at the same time. Put one tire on pavement and the other in the ditch in sand and I think you will find the one is the sand spins every time no matter what side it is on.

Did I explain that clear enough everyone? I try my best!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Wink Chirp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
Yes sir. My 'Bird does the same thing and has the same rear end. Put one tire on pavement and the other in the ditch in sand and I think you will find the one is the sand spins every time no matter what side it is on.
lol

I agree! My rear is Open! (racing rules) I chirped the tires last night in the drive way,
Both left marks.

I know my rear gear is open. In-fact they are 3.90's from Motive Gear.
Put them in myself.

Paul

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Faster than Porkchop

I noticed the same thing when I had the stocker , it left two tire marks one was longer .

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 AM
6th Gear Poster

my open diff in my car only spins one tire when i do a brake stand.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Exclamation One tire brake stand burnout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
my open diff in my car only spins one tire when i do a brake stand.
Probably one rear brake is grabbing a bit more than the other. My car is open diff and mostly 2 tires spin, sometimes 1, whatever. I got new tires, can't afford more, I'm not a youngster, and if my girlfriend catches me doing burnouts with her T-Bird (again), I'll find my balls pickled with her german pickles in the fridge.....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 06:43 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
Yes sir. My 'Bird does the same thing and has the same rear end. The reason solid-axle rear ended vehicles tend to spin the passenger-side tire only while our (as well as ALL independent rear suspension) vehicles don't is because when you think about it, the driveshaft is spinning clockwise if looking at the vehicle from standing in front of it. So if that is true, anything hooked to that axle (like the rear end) tends to spin clockwise too, right? Therefore, the whole solid axle (not our cars) rear end is twisting clockwise too, "planting" the driver's side tire and "picking up" the passenger's side tire making it spin. With IRS, this behavior doesn't occur because just our pumpkin is trying to spin clockwise, and there is no solid tube to twist. So, both tires tend to "plant" evenly, and spin at the same time. Put one tire on pavement and the other in the ditch in sand and I think you will find the one is the sand spins every time no matter what side it is on.

Did I explain that clear enough everyone? I try my best!
Explorers have a 5th shock on the differential or trac bars to prevent that with a solid axle.

Last edited by tbirdguy; 04-07-2012 at 11:16 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Banned

so what would LSD do in the sand scenario?

I'm still trying to figure out what I've got on my stock 96 cougar with 8.8 rear end.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 09:30 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtess View Post
lol

I know my rear gear is open. In-fact they are 3.90's from Motive Gear.
Put them in myself.

Paul
Nice Paul! Setting up gears (and getting them right) doesn't look too easy.

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what I've got on my stock 96 cougar with 8.8 rear end.
look at your axle code on your sticker inside the door jam

95 thunderbird LX - super coupe sway bars, front shock brace,custom exhaust, auxiliary trans cooler, cold air intake,180 degree thermostat, RSTB, custom front grille, HID conversion,18X9 Bullits,PBR front dual piston calipers,80MM MAF,eibachs 1.5" lowering springs, bilstein rear shocks,tokico front shocks, rear drum to disc brake swap,tinted windows,all new sound system
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
so what would LSD do in the sand scenario?

All 96/97's came with 3.27 gears.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
My old open unit would do that but only sometimes. On a perfectly level road and only straight. It was rare but did do it.

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:13 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdguy View Post
Explorers have a 5th shock on the differential or trac bars to prevent that with a solid axle.
What years/models?I have yet to see this.Most Exploders I work on are the 96 to 02 models.I don't remember when they went from live axle to irs.Most have standard leaf springs and angled shocks.

All stock 1990 Merc Blue Max Cougar 3.8L with Automatic
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 08:47 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
What years/models?I have yet to see this.Most Exploders I work on are the 96 to 02 models.I don't remember when they went from live axle to irs.Most have standard leaf springs and angled shocks.
my 96 has a 5th shock on the live axle.
here is a quote from the manual:
Anti-Windup Bar (5.0L Only)
The anti-windup bar compensates for rotational torque placed on the rear axle (4001) during acceleration and braking by preventing the axle and rear spring (5560) from twisting (winding up).
Live is 95-01
IRS is 02+, They don't have any bars ....
________
HOTSWEETNOMA

Last edited by tbirdguy; 09-09-2011 at 02:55 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 07:33 AM
4th Gear Poster

Cool.I must run into vehicles that have had bad ones and they have been removed.I parted out a 96 and 98,neither had the 5th shock.

All stock 1990 Merc Blue Max Cougar 3.8L with Automatic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in