Trac-Lok questions, help and opinions. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Question Trac-Lok questions, help and opinions.

So a buddy of mine gave me a trac-loc out of a 1986 mercury capri... It has 40K on it and was pampered most of it's life. It also came with the gears from the capri. My buddy thinks there 3.73's but i wanna check them to be sure. If they are 3.73's can i swap them into the bird without massive problems? I know on the trac-loc i have to bevel the gears or take my cir clips off and i am looking at just taking the clips off. I will be doing axle seals when i am doing the trac-loc or trac-loc and gears. I don't remember everything i had to do the last time i broke an axle and replaced it so I am hunting for info on it and it's been years since i have played with a rearend and the last one i played with was a 9 inch.

So i guess what i am asking here is for a daily driver is the trac-loc a good thing, Would the other gears if there 3.73's be a good idea, does the trac-loc help in the snow at all, Did i miss a writeup on doing the gear swap and track-loc install? Any comments advice and all is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:41 AM
PostWhore

From what I gathered, it is best to have a Trac-Lock unit from a IRS car, otherwise you run into some issues. Do some searching around, there is enough info here to get a pretty good idea on how good they work in the MN12.

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Yea that is what I have been told and read also. I was told by a fellow member who i have known for years that the one from the capri would work with little modification. I was just asking if the gears would be the same and if the case had to come out of the car to do it or if i could leave the case in and do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in