Straight/Log Axle Swap - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Straight/Log Axle Swap

what all do i need to know before i get involved? I will more than likely install an 8.8 because even tho i want a 9 inch i cant afford it. So tell me the in and outs of the swap. Or if there is another post send it to me cuz it didnt come up on the search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Swap?

Hello

Why swap to a solid axle?

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Full drag racing car. I dont wanna snap a half shaft because i will be putting on M/T ET Streets. Also mustang bolt pattern swap is much easier to find. Front hubs are no issues and the rear 8.8 will be set up for em already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 03:58 PM
PostWhore

An 8.8" is cheaper than a 9"?

Where you been looking?

You'll of course, move the gas tank, develope a subframe and attachment points for control arms, upper and lower, working out geometry, getting right width, etc. If you're doing all that, any cost difference in an 8.8 and a 9 will be insignificant, and the 9 gives you the ability to set of different rears and have them ready to go, for trials or whatever.

There are some awfully fast Birds here with IRS.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 04:25 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

This question is like many other questions here on tccoa, that is to say old and tired. I bet you didnt even search for members here with mn12 drag cars. A solid rear is something you think about when you're trying for 800+ hp, or a number befitting a race car. Even 600 hp will work through half shafts.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 05:13 PM
6th Gear Poster

Step 1: sell thunderbird
Step 2: buy mustang
Step 3: have straight axle car

Shipping out to basic training for the army on april 12th!

Bird is on serious down time
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
You cant afford a 9" axle, but you can afford adapt a solid rear to a chassis developed any provision for it?

-Matt
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
An 8.8" is cheaper than a 9"?

Where you been looking?

You'll of course, move the gas tank, develope a subframe and attachment points for control arms, upper and lower, working out geometry, getting right width, etc. If you're doing all that, any cost difference in an 8.8 and a 9 will be insignificant, and the 9 gives you the ability to set of different rears and have them ready to go, for trials or whatever.

There are some awfully fast Birds here with IRS.
All 9" near me are atleast $900 with only 3.00 gears. Where as i can get an 8.8 with 3.73's and trac loc with disc brakes for $350. Please if you know where i can find a 9" for under $1000 with great gear and posi and disc brakes, please tell me where i can find it.

As for everyone else how about instead of trying to talk me out of it you tell me what i need to complete the swap. And no i dont want a mustang.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by damascusmotorsports View Post
All 9" near me are atleast $900 with only 3.00 gears. Where as i can get an 8.8 with 3.73's and trac loc with disc brakes for $350. Please if you know where i can find a 9" for under $1000 with great gear and posi and disc brakes, please tell me where i can find it.

As for everyone else how about instead of trying to talk me out of it you tell me what i need to complete the swap. And no i dont want a mustang.
You'll need steel, a good welder, a tape measure, and a calculator.

-Matt
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 07:30 PM
6th Gear Poster

OP- why don't you show us this motor capable of busting a set of SC axles before you start asking us to help you undergo this project?

What are your goals as far as the 1320' is concerned? 10s? 9s? 8s?

These cars were never designed with straight axles, there is no swap-out bolt on way to do it, you will be fabricating every single mount point on the chassis, that's a lot of welding and cutting and understanding stress factors and how to make a chassis work.

Shipping out to basic training for the army on april 12th!

Bird is on serious down time
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:58 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
I won't try to talk you out of it. But I think that like others here, I feel that you may not be fully aware of what you are about to be stepping in.

As mentioned before, these cars weren't designed for a straight axle setup. There is nothing out there in the straight axle world that you can simply "bolt in" here. Getting a straight axle in there will involve nothing less than a complete backhalving of the car, and this is absolutely going to be something best left to a pro chassis shop. (ka-ching$)

But if you do this yourself, there is an awful lot of things to consider here. Don't take this like I'm berating you in any way, but you should know that safety should come first.........and if this axle project doesn't get all done up right, there could be some pretty serious consequences you or your family may have to face.

Delete my account.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 12:18 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
All these old trucks around here with 9" rears, all these old cars ... but this aint So Cal. Guess that's the difference. Hell, I gave a trailer away made off a late '70s F150 with 9" rear not long ago.

I didn't know you were going to insist on a factory disc brake rear either, I figured you'ld want lighter weight discs than factory stuff anyway ... and for all you're talking, 3.73s aren't great gears. No matter what you do, if it's a drag car, you are gonna be buying / setting up gears.

Not trying to talk you out of anything, you will make your own decisions, but take just half of what you will spend in a rear swap like you want, including what it's gonna cost to fine tune it if you get it done, just half ...
... throw it at motor and trans and a set of gears and locker and drag radials for that IRS 8.8 and you'll go faster cheaper.
Quote:
What you need isn't something they can give you here. What you need is available, but even that difference between $1000 and $350 which is $650 is nothing, not even a start ... for what you want to do.

The reason everyone here is not being so enthusiastic is because they too have bit off big projects or seen others do it, before they were ready, and they've seen the frustration. They know that anyone who comes here and asks how to do it isn't ready to tackle it anytime soon.

They are just trying to save you some grief. You are free to try to prove them wrong of course.

Good luck.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!

Last edited by CrystalPistol; 01-17-2010 at 12:24 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Full drag racing car. I dont wanna snap a half shaft because i will be putting on M/T ET Streets. Also mustang bolt pattern swap is much easier to find. Front hubs are no issues and the rear 8.8 will be set up for em already.
ohhh boy, et streets, haha im scared, why dont you put a real tire on that thing.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:07 AM
PostSlut

My car is not fast.....but, I do pull 1.88 60 foots, with my 26 x 8.5 x 15" slicks.

And soon, I will be going faster....but, I'm not scared of snapping a half shaft....when I'm in the 10's, high 9's, I will then swap a live axle in my car.....at least I already have a few mounting points made up!

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in