Convert to TL - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Convert to TL

What all would I need if I wanted to make my 8.8 open to a TL w/o changing the ratio. Have axle code Y (3.08).

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 06:56 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Pick up a traction lok.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
While you've got the rear end apart you might as well change the gears. IMO you'd be a fool not to.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
You need an 8.8 trak-lok unit specifically for IRS, and make sure it has the 28 spline side gears. Easiest way is go get a complete diff out of an SC at the junkyard.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Thought there would be a better solution that changing the whole pumpkin. Can't just get any TL and use IRS Gears?

As far as the gears its the wife's car and she like the top end.

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
93 5.0 Tbird
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:56 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
Thought there would be a better solution that changing the whole pumpkin. Can't just get any TL and use IRS Gears?

As far as the gears its the wife's car and she like the top end.
Yes, you can just get a TL unit and gears, but it is easier just to swap the whole pumpkin. Most people don't have the ability, tools or confidence to properly set up the gears so they mesh correctly, which is required if you are installing a new traction lock unit. If you just buy a pumpkin with the traction lock unit (and the gear you want) already installed, it is easy to rebuild the TL without needing to re-setup the gears.

Kurt K (e-mail)
"I'll either die owning this car or it will kill me."
'92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748 mph, 2.0 AR power
. . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
'95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
'90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really! Any Offers?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:30 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
You need an 8.8 trak-lok unit specifically for IRS, and make sure it has the 28 spline side gears. Easiest way is go get a complete diff out of an SC at the junkyard.
The SC's 5 spd have a 2.73 gear, autos 3.27, IIRC. Wouldn't the 2.73 make the trans shift early at WOT, the same way that a low gear makes it want to hit the rev limiter w/o a tune?

I am also 3.08, and considering a trak-lok so I can drive farther than 50 ft in the snow!

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Yes, the 2.73s could mess with the shift points a bit, but then again if you are swapping to 2.73s you probably aren't too concerned with all out performance. I was actually just suggesting that he get the complete pumpkin from the junkyard because then he can either keep the 3.27s, or if he really wants the 3.08s he can just swap the 3.08 ring gear onto the TL unit, and he won't have worry about setting everything up, just needs to double check the tooth pattern, and worst case adjust the carrier shims.

-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:16 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Easiest way is go get a complete diff out of an SC at the junkyard.
I always LOL when I hear this....as if junkyards everywhere are just teaming with SCs ripe for the picking apart.

Seriously, though it's your best bet to have another pumpkin already set up from a shop that does that thing. It's easy enough to swap out the whole pumpkin then, and your car has a minimum of downtime.

So the points of interest here are:
The gears have to come out to install a TL.
The TL or open carrier has to come out to install new gears.
You can rebuild the TL without removing the carrier or gears.
Changing out the whole pumpkin is way quicker than changing out just the carrier/gears.

Delete my account.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
I find quite a few SCs at junkyards. I can set up gears myself, and if I wanted a TL with 3.27 gears, I wouldn't bother building one, I would just look for a complete diff and swap it out. With that being said, it isn't hard to set up gears, and it is even easier if you want to keep your current gears and just swap from an open diff to a TL because you don't even need to touch the pinion gear. That means no messing with the crush sleeve, no checking pinion depth, fewer shims to keep track of, etc. The only thing you would have to do is remove your open diff from the housing, keeping track of which side each of the carrier shims are on, then swap your ring gear from the open diff to the TL diff, then put it back in, putting the shims in the original locations, and double check the tooth pattern. If he really wants 3.08s and not 3.27s, this is what he should do. If he wants the quickest, cheapest, and easiest way, get a 3.27TL diff, change the fluid, and swap out the whole pumpkin.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 11:11 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
That's what I was saying. Quicker to have another pumpkin ready to go and then swap the whole thing out.

Delete my account.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:22 PM
3rd Gear Poster

my brother has a wrecked 94 sc,I had plans to swap out the pumpkins but does every SC come with a trac loc,its a automatic,but im just wanting to make sure that ever SC comes with a trac loc,cause his car dont have the sticker in the door jam so the only way I can find out is if I took the pumpkin apart,but I really dont want to do that.please help,and does every automatic SC come with 3.27's?

95 thunderbird LX - super coupe sway bars, front shock brace,custom exhaust, auxiliary trans cooler, cold air intake,180 degree thermostat, RSTB, custom front grille, HID conversion,18X9 Bullits,PBR front dual piston calipers,80MM MAF,eibachs 1.5" lowering springs, bilstein rear shocks,tokico front shocks, rear drum to disc brake swap,tinted windows,all new sound system
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:32 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

there should be a tag on the pumpkin itself

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

94 SC Auto should be a Open diff and not a traction-lock.

93 SC Tbird
93 5.0 Tbird
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

If you can get the rear wheels off the ground, it's real easy to tell. Turn one rear wheel, if the other goes same direction, it's got clutches (lok), if it turns the opposite direction, it's an open...
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 04:28 AM
3rd Gear Poster

alright,ill try that,thanks NetKeym

95 thunderbird LX - super coupe sway bars, front shock brace,custom exhaust, auxiliary trans cooler, cold air intake,180 degree thermostat, RSTB, custom front grille, HID conversion,18X9 Bullits,PBR front dual piston calipers,80MM MAF,eibachs 1.5" lowering springs, bilstein rear shocks,tokico front shocks, rear drum to disc brake swap,tinted windows,all new sound system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in