gear change - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

gear change

where is the best place to get a set of 3.73 gears? I just purchased a 3.27 TL diff and am wanting to change to 3.73s. I have searched and looks like I will be spending $160+ after shipping for FRPP. Any where cheaper? or other gears that are cheaper, but decent quality?

seth

oh yeah, while I'm here. What all is involved in removing the rear differential? I found a non-thunderbird specific guide and it mentioned removing/loosening rear sway bar and dissassembling brakes and stuff. Is that all necessary? I have searched here and can't find any information. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

you could look around on craigslist or ebay but $160 isnt going to get much better and you know you will get a brand new set of gears.

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]=iii=<| View Post
where is the best place to get a set of 3.73 gears? I just purchased a 3.27 TL diff and am wanting to change to 3.73s. I have searched and looks like I will be spending $160+ after shipping for FRPP. Any where cheaper? or other gears that are cheaper, but decent quality?

seth

oh yeah, while I'm here. What all is involved in removing the rear differential? I found a non-thunderbird specific guide and it mentioned removing/loosening rear sway bar and dissassembling brakes and stuff. Is that all necessary? I have searched here and can't find any information. thanks
$160 for a 3.73 TL diff is an EXCELLENT price and good deal. Things to look for are that the splines are 28 spline (our 'Bird axles), not the 31 spline (which is common in the Explorers). Also that the gears are machined for the IRS (beveled, so you can pry the axles out to remove them and the snap ring will pop out). All late model 8.8 28 splines are machined for IRS, but the older ones are not, I don't remember the cut-off year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

3.90's

Hello

I paid more for my 3.90's. Motive Gear.
I don't run a TL, rule thing!

I got 3.73's for a 7.5 in a auto 80's pony
I got 4.10's for a 7.5 from a 90's mini van.

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

so, there is no need to open the differential to remove the snap rings to remove the halfshafts? I found some good instructions after more search, but just want to be clear about that, because I have found some conflicting information elsewhere that is not t-bird specific.

thanks,
seth
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]=iii=<| View Post
so, there is no need to open the differential to remove the snap rings to remove the halfshafts? I found some good instructions after more search, but just want to be clear about that, because I have found some conflicting information elsewhere that is not t-bird specific.

thanks,
seth
The axles just pop out. I just put a 373 together for my sons Mark VIII. I think he paid like $156 for FRPP gears.

Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 06:26 PM
PostWhore

Check Ebay. I got a fantastic deal on my gear. Sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Don't get Motive, they are made in China and I hear they are noisy. Doing a gear is something you want to do only once due to $$$$

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGSR View Post
Don't get Motive, they are made in China and I hear they are noisy.
My car is sooo! loud I can't hear them. So I can't say they are noisy.

I had to go to someone that had 3.90's for a 8.8. Ford did not!

Been running them for 4 seasons so far. Make sure they are in correctly.
You shouldn't have problems.

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtess View Post
My car is sooo! loud I can't hear them. So I can't say they are noisy.

I had to go to someone that had 3.90's for a 8.8. Ford did not!

Been running them for 4 seasons so far. Make sure they are in correctly.
You shouldn't have problems.

I had 3.91's in my 340 Duster years ago and for an auto I thought they were perfect in the 1/4. I had pigs with 4.10 and I think 4.56 but I was way high rpm coming through the traps even with the 4.10. Used to pop the 4.56 in for the parking lot drags wintertime at Michigan Truck (Ford pickup plant). '72 I was consistently beating a 429 Hemi Mustang (he was really a bad driver). We raced 700'. Lots of fun and "lots" of money even by todays standards.

Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Seth, I got my 3.73's from Ebay... just be careful who you buy them from. All you really need is the gears themselves, (the ring and pinion). The pumpkin you bought already has the Trac-loc in it. (some of the posts sounded confused on that point)

Buy a set of 3.73's and the two diff rebuild kits.. (one is for reassembling the pumpkin and the other for the trac-loc itself, including new clutches). then take all the parts and kits to a reputable rebuilder and have him put them together.

LOL almost felt sorry for the guy that did mine. I showed up with a VERY worn out 3.27 trac-loc pumpkin, the two rebuild kits, the 3.73 ring and pinion, and an aluminum Mark VIII case and said "i want the parts out of the old case, rebuilt and assembled in the aluminum case, with the 3.73 gears, using an F-150 "S" spring"... LOL fortunately he a good ol' small town guy who knows what he is doing. When he was finished I picked up a brand new rebuilt 3.73 TL in an aluminum case, and a box full of old, worn out, and VERY stinky dif parts.

But I digress....

To remove the rear end, just loosen the rear spindles from the control arms giving them room to move.. then remove the driveshaft bolts. Pry the shafts from the diff with a big screwdriver, (they should just "pop" out) then put a jack under the diff and remove the bolts holding it in place... lower carefully and roll the jack out.

Oh yea, you'll ned to remove the exhaust to.
If you want any help, just let me know and I'll see if I can manage a trip over to springfield.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Thanks traveler. I think i can manage. You're welcome to come anytime, but it sounds like you have alot going on. Have you already gotten moved?
I already have my transmission being worked on. I have a 93 mkviii drive shaft waiting to go in. I have the differential that I need rebuilt/regeared. I am ready to get it all back together and drive my car again.

Seth
Thanks for the reassurance of the rear differential removal.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 09:10 AM
PostSlut

The first one - do you need all the bearings?
the second - do you really want the carbon cluthes? the regulars work really good.
and the third...I believe that is still a motive gear set...hence the M on the part number.(yes, it does have a ford part number, but the gear is motive).

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL

Last edited by _95badbird; 04-28-2010 at 12:58 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I used an "S" spring for the F-150.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

The first one - do you need all the bearings?
I don't know. I was going to get the whole diff rebuilt while I had it out as was suggested by Traveler. Should I just get the basic kit instead of the deluxe?

the second - do you really want the carbon cluthes? the regulars work really good.
it was the first thing I saw. I didn't know there were others. I have since found them. (M-4700B)

and the third...I believe that is still a motive gear set...hence the M on the part number.(yes, it does have a ford part number, but the gear is motive).

anybody else know if this is correct. The gears listed on fordracing.com begin with an M. (M-4209-F373N). If that is not the FRPP gears. Where can I get them?

Thanks.
Seth
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

if you haven't noticed. i ask a lot of questions. I just want to make sure and buy the right thing. Should I just get this for rebuild? http://supercoupeperformance.com/par...spx?partId=191

Still unsure about gears and the correct part number for FRPP. I will search more.

seth
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:20 AM
PostSlut

1) It just depends, if you had the time to open the case and inspect the bearinngs. If not, there is nothing wrong with the delux kit.

2) yep, m-4700B

3) I hope I did not scare you about the gear.....it was just what I ran across when searching for gears a couple years ago.(I could be totally wrong...as I really have nothing to back my claim)

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Well after a little research the m-4700c kit has the ford f-150 s spring in it. So I may go with that. Not sure of the others yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in