What Needs To Be Modified - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

What Needs To Be Modified

on an 8.8 track lock from a solid axle to fit the irs diff in our birds . no luck locating any info on this subject . scored a solid axle 8.8 with a trac lock really cheap out of a wrecked 97 gt , and i'd like to use it ..

i used to think i knew a lot , now with the trials and tribulations with the old and the modern i have i realize .... I DON'T KNOW JACK SH-- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 AM
1st Gear Poster

The gears might work but the trac-loc unit will not work.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:36 AM
6th Gear Poster

The gears will work.

The trac-lok will work. The side gears are the problem. Some remove the circlips on the half shafts and use a solid axle diff. There is a debate whether or not this is acceptable. Grooves can be machined into the solid axle trac-lok side gears to accept IRS half shaft circlips. IRS side gears can also be swapped into a solid axle trac-lok.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:03 AM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSnapWord View Post
The gears might work but the trac-loc unit will not work.
the track lock unit will work.....as mentioned above, you can either remove the clips, or get the side gears machined.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Banned

You can use the trac-lok I just swapped in 3:73 8.8 W/track-lok from a mustang and did not machine anything and the clips are still on so I can pull the axles if I need to. Tight as can be.

No problems enjoy the new gears and posi too.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
You can assemble them that way, when you have to remove the axles to say change an axle seal you will find you cannot get it out. Really should have taken the advice on this one.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

thank you gentlemen . i'll go pull what i need out of it , stash it follow the advice given and go about my merry way . thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!

i used to think i knew a lot , now with the trials and tribulations with the old and the modern i have i realize .... I DON'T KNOW JACK SH-- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 01:39 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91bluecoupe View Post
You can use the trac-lok I just swapped in 3:73 8.8 W/track-lok from a mustang and did not machine anything and the clips are still on so I can pull the axles if I need to. Tight as can be.

No problems enjoy the new gears and posi too.
but, have you tried pulling the axles since you installed it?

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:15 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
but, have you tried pulling the axles since you installed it?
this usually ends badly from what I've read about peoples experiences.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Banned

Yes I had to pull the one side axle back out because the boot had a hole I did not have a problem, that was after about 200 miles so far so good.

Plus I put new seals in at the time. I should not have to mess with it again for another 200,000 miles.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Converter Guy

Thats a chance you are willing to take I suppose.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Banned

I am sure others have done this to, but I am just being honest and telling it like it is.

I will report back if any problems come up.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:52 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91bluecoupe View Post
I am sure others have done this to, but I am just being honest and telling it like it is.

I will report back if any problems come up.
thats cool.....I have just seen those clips not allow the axle to come back out..

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Banned

Yeah right now I am just enjoying the 3.73 and the posi. My car feels alot more planted with both wheels pulling with the lower gears.

Alot more fun to drive for sure.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Veteran Poster

ask Kdanner's opinion on this one lol.

96 v8 4.6 explorer, kooks headers, off road x, magnaflow mufflers, cl tb/plenum, lmaf, gt tube, xcal tune, alum shaft, 3800 dirty dog converter, darrin trans, 373 gears, hoosier slicks on fanblades, pbr brakes, Skinnies on front, No PS or AC, Aeromotive EWP, major weight removal (3380 LBS), 12.78 OLD COMBO.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:18 PM
6th Gear Poster

I thought I read somewhere that after a certain year, the side gears already have the champher that they need to let the circlips do their thing. Allan, you are the expert on this. Any thruth to that? To me, it makes sense. Why pay for two different gears if one style will work in both applications. I would have done it if I was the diff manufacturer.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

dain paintme you in the military ???? military brat and spent a few years in lawton and fort sill i did ............. i would say i'll leave the clips out { wrote down what you all suggested in crayon on construction paper so i'd have no prob understanding it! } , and maybe someday i can get to it ........ i would do it to the spare irs outta the 91 but i sold it to a buddy for his 48 pick 'em up . i traded a bent 9 inch with 3.89's in it for the 8.8 . the 9inch was a freebie .....

post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RESET View Post
I thought I read somewhere that after a certain year, the side gears already have the champher that they need to let the circlips do their thing. Allan, you are the expert on this. Any thruth to that? To me, it makes sense. Why pay for two different gears if one style will work in both applications. I would have done it if I was the diff manufacturer.
Yeh, I've heard that too. I've read anything 1997- is always machined for IRS.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RESET View Post
I think that only applies to FRPP gears, I recently tore apart a 98 mustang rearend and they were not machined for IRS.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 12:20 AM
6th Gear Poster

Bummer
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:14 AM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
I think that only applies to FRPP gears, I recently tore apart a 98 mustang rearend and they were not machined for IRS.
Alan
my diff came out of a 01 or 02 8.8, and the side gears were not machined either.

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Banned

I will keep you posted.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 05:36 PM
6th Gear Poster

I have never seen the inside of any Diff let alone the 8.8, TL or other wise so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. What is so different between the two carriers that make it so that a guy couldn't just swap the side gears from his open diff into a solid axel TL unit and be done with it? Allan, you got a blown apart pic of the two that would help me visualize this?
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 05:50 PM
4th Gear Poster

The side gears are a different length on each(TL versus open). The TL gears have notches for the clutches. The open is smooth.

Alan -
I am looking to open the groove on the side gears for the axle clips - Any suggestions on a safe way of doing this? I have a couple of TL to practice with.

-Robert
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Converter Guy

A chamfer works as good as a step. You can do it by hand with a 1/4 die grinder and a few stones. It will be slow and probably easier to have someone put them on a lathe and machine them down first. I still finish them with a stone however.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:36 PM
4th Gear Poster

Thankyou for the info - Finishing them with a stone to smooth the splines and to tapper it towards the outside for easier removal of the halfshaft?
- Robert
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Converter Guy

Yes. A good axle on hand to check fit is nice as well. I always test the fit before installing them. You can release it with a pocket screwdriver when it is just the gear on the shaft.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:40 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
You can release it with a pocket screwdriver when it is just the gear on the shaft...
...as opposed to taking the rear cover off, and really trying to get something in there to compress the clips far enough to allow the shaft to pull out. I believe KDanner went into great detail about this particular fiasco....and what he'd like to have done to the person responsible for his time spent trying to undo the douchebaggery.

Seriously. The gears are easily removed and taken to any competent machine shop to be turned on a lathe and have that chamfer put on them. Or leave the clips off. The shafts aren't going to just randomly fly out or anything if the circlips aren't there.

After all this, there's no excuse for just slamming those shafts in on non-IRS gears with the circlips on the shafts. None. You wouldn't just go ahead and weld your lugnuts on would you?
I'll even say that ever since this info was first posted ever (and thus archived and easily Searched), any further acts of knowingly putting these circlip'd shafts in non-IRS gears is an act of vandalism. It's the same as if you were to walk down the street and throw a rock through a window of every car you passed. You may not have to worry about it, but someone else might.

Delete my account.

Last edited by 94 Thunderbird XX; 05-23-2010 at 09:00 PM.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:37 PM
4th Gear Poster

Cool - Thanks again Alan
- Robert
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:47 PM
6th Gear Poster

[OFFTOPIC]Sorry I have been misspelling your name Alan. Force of habit, my middle name is Allan.[/OFFTOPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in