TCCoA Forums banner

Axle swap for low end performance

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  94 Thunderbird XX 
#1 ·
ive got a 95 bird with an axel code of Y, ive looked it up on charts and its apearently a 3.08 and ive got a 96 bird parts car with an axel code of E with 3.27's...

Which one of these will give me better low end performance on a weekend cruiser and whats the difference between them?
i rarely see 50+ MPH in this car

#3 ·
The difference is .19 . (Kids these days, can't do basic maths.)

A distance that will take 3.08 engine revolutions on the 3.08 rear end will take 3.27 revolutions for the 3.27 rear end. A side benefit is that you'll be closer to the torque peak on the 3.27 rear end for the slower road speeds.

Good news - you don't have to change the whole rear-end, just the diff.

Better - an upper knuckle bolt each side, and you can usually shimmy the half shafts out. Four driveshaft flange bolts, and four diff bolts (don't forget the ABS sensors if your car has ABS!), and the diff will fall out if you're not careful.

Add a new VSS/speedo drive gear in the tranny (so the speedo is right), plus if you vary more than to the 3.27, I'd opt for a tune to get the shift points right with the electronic tranny you have (an AODE, IIRC. Might be a 4R70W).

RwP

#4 ·
The common gear ratio to swap in seems to be the 3.73. IMO that's the cutoff point between "daily driver" and "playtoy". (Then of course, my idea of a true daily driver may vary from another's. True daily driven = on interstates keeping up with traffic for 30+ miles.....others may be perfectly content to get run over while keeping their cruise @ 65 mph. In that light, 3.55s work best for me in my DD.)

But since you aren't hitting much above 50 mph and it's not being considered a DD, go nuts with a 4.10 or 4.30. Just do your homework and make sure you're doing what else needs to be done along with the relatively simple pumpkin swap.

#9 ·
Also, I've got 4.10's on my 94 and have still seen 23+mpg on the highway running 70-75mph.
I'm ok with the mpg....not as ok with the rpms. Sure the motor holds up fine, but @ 70+ mph on the interstate for 90 miles, it gets annoying.

Think Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber "you wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?".....for 90 miles or so. :rofl:

But that's just me. :)

#8 ·
Agreed. Also, if you do swap over - don't forget to change the speedo gear so the speedometer and odometer will read correctly.

Also, I've got 4.10's on my 94 and have still seen 23+mpg on the highway running 70-75mph.

-Melon

#12 ·
For highway I love my 3.73s! 75-80mph is still quiet inside, and it brings the motor up closer to the powerband so it accelerates easily without having to downshift. I have driven my car on 600+ mile drives with the 3.73s, and at no point was I wishing I went with anything else.

#15 ·
Most Exploders have 3.73 gears if you have access to a u-pull it yard.....

Just read the metal tag on the rear end. It should have 8 8 for the 8.8 gear and then 3 73 for the ratio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.