How much power can 8.8 IRS handle - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Blaze
How much power can 8.8 IRS handle

was wondering how much power my IRS could handle, I drag race the car, and have been told i should consider a solid axle, but was wondering if I put new IRS axles in if I would be ok. now, when I think of solid axles, I think of non irs (straight axle), am I thinking correct? I was told i could get one from a fox body mustang and it would bolt up. I'm not a big fan of giving up my rear irs, bc it is not a full time race car, but i do have plans of putting lots of power to it via new engine, a few bolt ons and laughing gas. Of course i know i also need to switch out my drive shaft to an all aluminum. Was also considering mini-tubbing. Any help/opinions will be appreciated, thanks

Bradley Blaze
I'd Love to Live Life in the Fast Lane, but I'm Married to a Speed Bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
well i dont think a solid axle will bolt up without some serious modification.... but it has been done to a few mn12's not many though. the IRS is pretty tough to begin with... there are cars on here that are running in the mid 11's or lower with an IRS rear end with stock axles. i think you'll be fine, but if you do end up breaking axles you can swap over some 03 04 cobra axles which are alot thicker and stronger then the stock mn12's.... just do a search on that swap.

I'M BACK
97 Supercharged Ford Thunderbird with warpdrive
Check out my Gallery

vist the Man RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
How much HP are you making now? How much HP are you planning or thinking of making? (Be realistic now!)

I run 3.73's with a posi at almost 400 rwhp with a stock pumpkin cap and no brace and a stock IRS. I've seen guys run even more HP on the 8.8. The IRS will be fine.

You've been talking to too many Mustang guys who don't know sh!t about an IRS. IMHO don't wast your time and your money trying to switch over to a solid axle.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Blaze
Thanks, I knew I had been told something about the cobra axles, just couldn't remember what it was. I will probably change them out anyways since the car has 270, 000 miles on it. I have a "strange" catalog and was looking at some stuff in there. @ T-Monkey, my power right now isn't much over stock, but I'm getting a new forged engine soon, and plan on at least a 100 shot, I will have to get he car dyno'ed so I have no idea about power right now. My nearest 1/4 mile track (memphis) closed last year, so i will mainly be running 660. The guys at the company who sells the engines told me with all the stuff I am going with, I should hit mid 6's in the 1/8 mile, but we will see. sounds like a lot for a big heavy car. thanks guys

Bradley Blaze
I'd Love to Live Life in the Fast Lane, but I'm Married to a Speed Bump
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:09 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Wheelhop under moderate power will probably kill the halfshafts quicker than just straight out overpowering them. Agreed ^ research and see what you can swap in for halfshafts; cobra, supercoupe, whathaveya.

There's no way you can simply just bolt in a straight axle in the MN12 and call it a day. This would be serious work that should be done by a competent chassis shop; the car is going to be backhalved regardless of whether you tub it or not. The smart racers who've been racing MN12s for more than one season have concentrated on working out their wheelhop issues instead.

Delete my account.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:14 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
I run 3.73's with a Trak Loc at almost 400 rwhp.....
You know better than that, TM.

Delete my account.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

FWIW, Raxles out of Gainesville, Florida used to make huge axles for the IRS, but seems I remember they said they don't make them anymore last time I called down there and that they were crazy expensive anyways. I'm sure they could point you in the right direction, however.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:45 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
FWIW, Raxles out of Gainesville, Florida used to make huge axles for the IRS.....
The 28 splined stub going into the diff is still the same size. You can gain some strength there by switching over to the 31 spline versions, but then the hub side stub is still going to be the same as it was.

Delete my account.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Thunderbird XX View Post
The 28 splined stub going into the diff is still the same size. You can gain some strength there by switching over to the 31 spline versions, but then the hub side stub is still going to be the same as it was.
Yeh, I thought of that. Somewhere on this forum or one of the others I saw pics of the 31 spline axles from a Cobra snapped off clean, so that is definately the weakest point...

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Keith (aka VicRattlehead) ran stock axles until last year when he finally broke one. They'll take quite a bit of abuse...

2011 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7L HEMI

2001 Volkswagen Beetle GLX 1.8T
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:17 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Quote:
Originally Posted by machausta View Post
Keith (aka VicRattlehead) ran stock axles until last year when he finally broke one. They'll take quite a bit of abuse...
On an automatic they will, manual transmissions break them constantly with power.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in