Help finding/changing a rear - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Help finding/changing a rear

I looked in the tech articles and could not find much on this. Where could i buy a 8.8 rear pumpkin other than the junkyard? Would i have to get a traction assist rear because my 94 cougar has it? Would a 3.73 rear fit my car and would i see a power improvement? Thanks for any help. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 07:14 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to joker77_2005
you can get a rear pumpkin out of the junkyard ....buy a set of gears and have them installed
gonna need to get a speedo gear to match ur rear gears
gears wont give you more power butt will give u better low end take power
traction assist rear is an open diff i.e. 1 wheel peel butt with the trac assist the rear brakes apply to cut down on rear wheel slip
you can put a traclok rear in and just turn the traction assist off when u want to have fun
if i am not mistaken u wud also need a tune to recalibrate ur shift points to the new rear gear ratio
mike

1990 ford f150 5.0
1989 cougar xr-7 5spd 5.0 --249hp/[email protected]
stock bottom end 200k plus miles,afr165 heads,explorer intake,75mm tb,80mm maf,e-cam,30lbs injecters,mac 1 5/8 long tubes,homebuilt foreward manual transbrake aod,3.73 gears,welded open diff,100 zex wet shot
1989 mustang gt [email protected]
1984 tbird 5.0 auto
1999 chevy tracker...wtf!!!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

thanks joker! could i buy 3.73 gears and get them put in the pumpkin i have now? any idea on how much this would cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 10:14 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to joker77_2005
sure u can have the gears put in ur old case.i wud guesstimate about 200.00....prob wudnt be a bad idea to find a traclok rear
mike

1990 ford f150 5.0
1989 cougar xr-7 5spd 5.0 --249hp/[email protected]
stock bottom end 200k plus miles,afr165 heads,explorer intake,75mm tb,80mm maf,e-cam,30lbs injecters,mac 1 5/8 long tubes,homebuilt foreward manual transbrake aod,3.73 gears,welded open diff,100 zex wet shot
1989 mustang gt [email protected]
1984 tbird 5.0 auto
1999 chevy tracker...wtf!!!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

is traclok like the ford version of posi? IF so, i may get one eventually but im getting a little low on funds right now and just looking for a cheap mod. Also, along with the gears, would i need anything besides a speedo adjustment?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Yes, the trak-lok is ford's limited slip diff, comparable to a posi in a GM. If you get one, you have to make sure it is for an IRS car, so one out of a mustang or crown vic in the junkyard won't work. Best bet is to find an 89-93 SC in the junkyard because they all got the trak-lok rear, or find someone on here selling just the diff and put it into your housing. You also may want to get a trak-lok rebuild kit since you are going to be in there anyway, and one out of a junkyard might be pretty worn out. If you are going as far as taking the diff all apart, you might as well get a TL in it.

Going from 3.08s to 3.73s you would also need either a j-mod or a tune. The reason is that there is a delay between when the computer tells the trans to shift, and when it actually does because the fluid needs to fill the accumulators and build up pressure. The computer knows what this delay is, and it knows how quickly the rpms rise in a given gear, so it can compensate. With the gears, the car will now accelerate quicker, but the computer won't know that, it will still tell it to shift at the same rpms, which means the rpms will now be higher than they should by the time the shift actually does happen, and you will hit the rev limiter on WOT shifts. The solution is either reprogram the ecm (with a tune), or make the trans shift quicker (with a j-mod).

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

thanks mike. how would i reprogram the ecu? would i buy a performance chip like jet performance, diablo etc., or would i have to get the ecu i have now reprogrammed?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

ecm*
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCat27 View Post
thanks mike. how would i reprogram the ecu? would i buy a performance chip like jet performance, diablo etc., or would i have to get the ecu i have now reprogrammed?
Talk to Lonnie ( forum name lonnie ) who works at Blue Oval Chips - one of the better sources.

Also, check into the ECU Programming forum here.

(ECU? ECM? One of them acronyms ... )

RwP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in