pushbutton rear end? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

pushbutton rear end?

I just got a '96 t-bird 4.6 a few weeks back from a friend. He claims it had an lsd rear end that would act like an open rear end with the traction control on. when I i had the car up on jacks I spun the rear wheels to see if it was indeed a lsd, the wheels spun in opposite directions. doing burnouts only spins the drivers side tire. now I should say that the traction control switch/waring light cluster is dead in my car (old solder joints all failing) and it's freaking cold outside right now, so i didn't want to go digging around in junkyards just to see if he is right. so is it indeed a "pushbutton" lsd? or a case of a blown rearend/he is full of bull. does anyone know where i could get the cluster new or have a part number? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Your car is equipped with a 3.27 open differential, no limited slip. Traction control is an extension of the antilock braking system that automatically applies the brakes to a spinning drive wheel if slippage is detected. The "push button" is the on/off switch for the traction control subsystem located in the center console.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your reply.
any chance the the pushbutton thing could be true? it seems as though everything has been changed/upgraded, so just because it came with it from the factory doesn't mean it hasn't been swapped. not trying to argue with you hear, i was thinking it was a factory open rearend as well, but my friend swears it was a posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Posi is the GM term for a limited slip differential, or in Ford's case a Traction-Lok rear end - which was optional for these cars. The fact of one-wheel burnouts with the drive wheels spinning opposite directions when off the ground proves that you have an open rear end.

In a limited slip rear end, the wheels are mechanically restricted from a free spin situation; e.g. one wheel spinning while the other does not move. When one spins a certain degree faster than another, the wheels are mechanically locked together. In a traction control system like the one you have, this is not the case. When one wheel spins faster than the other, the brakes are applied to that wheel, forcing torque to the other drive wheel. If the free wheel starts to spin faster, the brakes are then applied to it to direct torque to the other wheel etc. etc. With this setup the two wheels are never actually prevented from spinning freely independently of the other. Pushing the button, so to speak, simply turns off the braking that happens when wheelspin is detected. You never actually have a limited slip system, regardless of whether traction control is on or off.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:05 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornsystem69 View Post
any chance the the pushbutton thing could be true?
No.

Look at the tag on the differential; it's hanging off one of the bolts toward the top.

You can also look at the label on the driver's doorjamb; under axle it will say 5, most likely.

3L27 on the tag means Trak-Lok, which is the Ford version of positrack.

If you have a traction control switch on the front of the console, you do not have a trakloc differential, unless it's been swapped in.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
The only push-button style locker diff that I know of is the ARB air locker. It wouldn't be impossible to put that in a tbird, but I think it is highly unlikely considering the system requires an air compressor and tank to be mounted in the vehicle as well, and I don't know where you would hide one in a bird. A far more likely scenario is that the previous owner saw the traction control on/off button, and either he didn't know any better and thought it was a locking/unlocking diff, or he thought you wouldn't know any better, and told you that to make a sale. Also it being worn out is not likely because with IRS the axle doesn't twist up, so both tires have close to the same weight on them, so both wheels are more likely to spin.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the answers guys. I thought it was a load of bull but a guy can hope you know? looks like a 3.73 posi rear end is in the plans for the car now.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If you want, I have a 4.10 trak-lok unit for sale. I built it for a friend's car, and he used it for about 8-10K miles, then we converted the car to a 5-speed so he went back to 3.27s. I would need $300 plus shipping for it. Let me know if you're interested.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in