3:73 TL, Mark Viii DS, F150 S-clip - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

3:73 TL, Mark Viii DS, F150 S-clip

I have a 95 4.6 t bird with a factory TL diff. This summer I added Richmond 3:73 gears, a 93 Mark Viii driveshaft, forced lube kit and the F150 S clip. Ever since then I've been chasing around a "thunk" from the rear of the car that you can hear and feel and I can't find it. It does it when you come to a stop and it downshifts into first or when I'm going thru a parking lot under light throttle. It's also started something else. When I turn a corner from a stop, it will make a louder rumble, kind of "slipping" noise from the rear. Maybe clutch noise? I've taken it to the shop where I had everything put in, he used to work at the Ford dealership and went solo, and he checked the backlash and inspected everything and said it was ok. I just replaced the front diff bushings with poly from SCP and replaced the rear diff mount bracket and no help. It's back at the shop again so the mechanic can drive it and see what it's doing. Has anyone else had these issues with these mods on their cars? If so, did you get it figured out? It's driving me nuts!

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Did you add the trac-lok additive? I've read and heard from people that the GM posi additive is far superior to any of the others. A common misconception is that the additive is used to make the clutches grab, when in fact, the opposite is true. Without the additive, your clutches "jerk" when they slip; the additive LOWERS the friction making it slip smoother (same with the additive in transmissions - go figure).

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I am wondering if it isnt TL clutch chatter too. That will make the popping/thumping sound while in turns. I always just use 80w90 with a quart of lucas oil stabilizer for friction modifier.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

That's what I was thinking, it's the clutches. I'm assuming the mechanic put gear oil with additive back in it when he put the gears and S-spring in for me. When I told him about it, he was thinking it might need a different additive. Also it only thunks when I come to a stop or driving parking lot speed under light throttle. He still has my car so I'm calling today to see what he found out.

Mike
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Faster than Porkchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh68 View Post
I have a 95 4.6 t bird with a factory TL diff. This summer I added Richmond 3:73 gears, a 93 Mark Viii driveshaft, forced lube kit and the F150 S clip. Ever since then I've been chasing around a "thunk" from the rear of the car that you can hear and feel and I can't find it. It does it when you come to a stop and it downshifts into first or when I'm going thru a parking lot under light throttle. It's also started something else. When I turn a corner from a stop, it will make a louder rumble, kind of "slipping" noise from the rear. Maybe clutch noise? I've taken it to the shop where I had everything put in, he used to work at the Ford dealership and went solo, and he checked the backlash and inspected everything and said it was ok. I just replaced the front diff bushings with poly from SCP and replaced the rear diff mount bracket and no help. It's back at the shop again so the mechanic can drive it and see what it's doing. Has anyone else had these issues with these mods on their cars? If so, did you get it figured out? It's driving me nuts!

Thanks
Mike

I had that clunk , it is the Differential , most likely the pinion is loose or the bearings are shot.

I replaced that diff with my stocker and no more clunk .

Thanks

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 02:59 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Take out that F-150 S Spring and use a regular one. Most of the time those just won't fit or even if you do get it in it's distorted. the S spring is only there for low traction surfaces like snow / ice. In high load situations like hard acceleration on dry pavement the spring doesn't do much. The spider gears are jammed tight forcing the side gears outward tightening the clutch packs in which case the spring is just there for the ride.

2011 BMW X5 35i Premium Package
2009 BMW 535i ///M Sport Package

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in