Track-Loc additive/extra clutches? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Exclamation Track-Loc additive/extra clutches?

1:i have been told that a trick to make the clutches grab harder is to put only HALF the additive in so its enough not to tear the clutches up but allows for less slip. Is this true?
2:for someone who has tried, when my new T-loc diff gets here . i am going to do a clutch rebuild kit but i wanted to know if i will be able to put an extra clutch in?
Thanks!

"you make the most power rrrightt before the pistons melt"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
I have to ask: What exactly are you planning to do with the car?

Street driven only?
Track only (drag racing)?
Track only (circle/roadcourse)?
Some combo of the above?

Delete my account.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Unless you know exactly what you're doing in a rear end, I wouldn't suggest playing around inside. Anything out of spec (and the tolerances are VERY tight) and you'll have a noisy differential that could have abnormal gear wear.

No offense, but from the sound of things you might want to have someone help you in the event you tear it apart.

Friction modifier is specified to be added in a certain amount because that certain amount allows for optimal friction in the clutches. If your traction-lok rear end spins one tire with the correct amount friction modifier, the clutch packs are already shot and need a rebuild.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I can tell you this. We ALWAYS use the GM 1052358 posi additive no matter what brand vehicle. Reason? It is superior and we've had issues with other manufacturer's additives. Mostly learned this from past 4 wheeling, mud-trucking days when we were really hard on differential clutches. It comes in a 4 oz container.

And yes, the additive is to allow more slip and less "chatter". If you used less additive, you run a greater risk of chatter. But if your rear end is turning wonderful after just adding 2 oz, I would run it!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Thunderbird XX View Post
I have to ask: What exactly are you planning to do with the car?

Street driven only?
Track only (drag racing)?
Track only (circle/roadcourse)?
Some combo of the above?
Mostly street driven but im may do some scca solo races here and there, but mostly street

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
I can tell you this. We ALWAYS use the GM 1052358 posi additive no matter what brand vehicle. Reason? It is superior and we've had issues with other manufacturer's additives. Mostly learned this from past 4 wheeling, mud-trucking days when we were really hard on differential clutches. It comes in a 4 oz container.

And yes, the additive is to allow more slip and less "chatter". If you used less additive, you run a greater risk of chatter. But if your rear end is turning wonderful after just adding 2 oz, I would run it!

Well if i can get away with putting less additive in and have it not hurt the clutches. i can deal with some chatter....im young haha.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I have never tried the Delco stuff. On my last rear, I used a bottle of lucas oil stabilizer and both tires seemed to spin (this makes it go sideways easier) on every hard shift and burnout with no clutch chatter on turns.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in